Texas Hunting Forum

fried rabbit question

Posted By: whitewing maniac

fried rabbit question - 03/01/15 04:55 PM

I got a couple of domestic pen raised rabbits from my deer processor, I plan on frying them up today. Question is should I par boil the rabbits before frying or are the domestic rabbits more tender than wild ones?

Just dont want to cook up some tough azz rabbits. Thanks
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/01/15 05:33 PM

I've never boiled them. I'll let them soak in buttermilk and seasoning overnight then dip in Louisiana chicken fry and put straight into the fryer. They always come out great.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/01/15 06:05 PM

I have fried quite a bit of rabbit, your right, they are tough as hell if you fry them. Soaking them in buttermilk over night helps.

I have never boiled them then fried, but maybe it could work. I usually braise them now and do rabbit dumplings or stew.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/01/15 06:27 PM

I like to slow cook them on the bbq while glazing with bbq sauce (drowning is probably a better word to describe it!). Never had tough rabbit this way and taste better than store bought chicken done the same way.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/01/15 09:08 PM

Thanks guys. I remember my mom frying rabbit that me and my dad shot when I was a kid. They were tough and chewy. Mom wasnt the best cook thats for sure.

Put the rabbits back in freezer(still frozen solid). Gonna take em out thursday and put in an ice and saltwater brine for 24 hrs, then in seasoned buttermilk for a day.

Saw a guy on youtube par boil them before he fried em, never par boiled anything, thats y i posted question.

What oil or grease do you prefer to fry in? Bacon grease, lard, shortening, oils...........

Was thinking of doing bacon grease and lard. Heart stoppers.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/01/15 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I like to slow cook them on the bbq while glazing with bbq sauce (drowning is probably a better word to describe it!). Never had tough rabbit this way and taste better than store bought chicken done the same way.

Slow and low is the ticket! food grill

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5bGvv2VUP_8
Posted By: Red Bone 936

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/01/15 10:50 PM

If pen raised I would fry them up just like you would chicken no need for all the extra stuff. Soak in buttermilk as long as you can coat in flour fry in olive oil.
Posted By: hermano W

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/01/15 11:10 PM

"If pen raised I would fry them up just like you would chicken no need for all the extra stuff." I agree, pen raised are ok just like they are. My wife browns the outside in the frying pan and then puts a lid on then and lets it steam for a while. That's some mighty good eating.
Posted By: sango10

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/01/15 11:27 PM

I soak mine in milk over night,season flour chicken fry,drain any grease off when done,simmer in milk for about a hour "don't let burn' will fall off the bone.Hind quarter's are like white meat a bit dry
Posted By: chalet

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/02/15 04:25 AM

Fricasee is the way you should go. Flour them, brown on both sides in bacon grease, dump in some chopped onions, little bit of season salt, some pepper, close to cover with some chicken broth, scrape all the stuff loose in your skillet, add about a cup or so of cream and simmer with the lid on for an hour or so. Couple hot biscuits and some potatoes on the side and your are in for fall off the bone good eaten.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/02/15 11:49 AM

Pen raised I have eaten were tender. My mom raised them for a while.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/06/15 12:21 AM

worthless
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/06/15 12:26 AM

I would brine them and go from there.
Posted By: taco bender

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/06/15 03:27 PM

buttermilk also helps reduce the "gamey" taste to as well
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/08/15 02:42 AM

Just bread an fry
Tame rabbits don't taste wild all white meat
Wild rabbit is dark meat
Posted By: jayhunter77

Re: fried rabbit question - 03/08/15 03:15 AM

mortins tender quick, blue bag. Mix up a brine and let it sit over night or a day or two in the fridge.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum