Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone hunt in Clarendon?

Posted By: BUBBAJ 115

Anyone hunt in Clarendon? - 02/24/15 06:39 PM

I am fortunate to be able to hunt at my wife's grandparents farm. It is a few miles out of town on 70 south.I have been able to hunt the area for 10 yrs but only started hunting this past deer season. Land is roughly 300 acres and split by hwy 70. west side is close to the canyon and rough terrain, east side is flat. West side has a ton of white tail and a few mule deer. East side has a lot of mule and a few whitetail. Hogs are constant on the east side and only show up on the west side during winter. Plenty of hogs to hunt year round without putting much of a dent in em. Just wondering if anyone hunted nearby that would want to give me some info on the surrounding areas and what they are seeing.

Re: Anyone hunt in Clarendon? - 04/03/15 01:46 AM

Anyone?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Anyone hunt in Clarendon? - 04/03/15 02:17 AM

I have an uncle that used to hunt up that way. He said the same thing about the hogs.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Anyone hunt in Clarendon? - 04/04/15 12:28 AM

I used to hunt outside of Shamrock. I did not have any mulies, but had WT, hog, and turkey. The deer population is not at plentiful as other parts of the state, but they are big deer. Hogs are a problem as you have mentioned. It is good hunting. I was in a 1 buck county, but got a really nice deer every year.
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Anyone hunt in Clarendon? - 04/04/15 03:17 AM

I use to live and guide hunts on the JA's. There is lots of good mule deer in parts, lots of scouting is a necessary. Tons of hogs, we made more money selling hogs than anything we did.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Anyone hunt in Clarendon? - 04/04/15 03:32 AM

Hunted up that way a few years, outside Clarendon in the canyons. Wasn't many whitetail on the ranch I hunted, but plenty of Mulies and some very nice ones. We were covered in coyotes and there were plenty of hogs, but the hogs were tough to get on because of the terrain. If you have agriculture, hogs should be easy.

Re: Anyone hunt in Clarendon? - 04/04/15 04:01 AM

Here now. Hogs were gone a month ago but are coming back. Turkeys have shown up also,bonus. Plenty of deer to go around but mostly nocturnal year round.

Re: Anyone hunt in Clarendon? - 04/04/15 04:15 AM

I want to thank everyone for their input. The spot is nothing I would ever pay for just looking at it but has the best of everything. Just goes to show small acreage and the right area is the perfect spot.Huge white tail, Huge mule bucks,large hogs, Turkey, quail, awesome dove hunting. Only thing I haven't seen is audad.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum