Texas Hunting Forum

Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock

Posted By: tturaiderhunter

Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock - 02/23/15 12:31 AM

Hey guys I'm relatively new to the forum and also pretty inexperienced at varmint hunting. I'm currently an Ag student at Tech and waterfowl and predator hunt whenever I can. My hunting buddy loves predator hunting and I'm trying to get us some free land to varmint hunt on. I have got 2 places already but we've gone several times both day and night and haven't gotten anything. How would y'all suggest trying to find new places? (what type of area is good to hunt coyotes and hogs and how should I go about finding and getting those areas)

Thanks a bunch for helping a new guy!
Posted By: D Red Raider

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock - 02/23/15 03:01 AM

Fellow Raider, I grew up in the Lubbock area. I would suggest that a good way to make a connection with some local farmers to seek their permission to hunt their land would be to show up at a cotton gin office either early morning or mid afternoon. You'll find farmers there around the coffee pot. Make their acquaintance and explain what you'd like to do. Assure them you are a responsible hunter, etc.... I would point you to Acuff Coop Gin (east of Lbk on FM 40), Slaton coop Gin, or any of the other dozen or more cotton gins within 20 miles os Lbk. Hey, and one more thing... Speaking of Lubbock, there's a new website dedicated to highlighting all of the many live entertainment opportunities in Lubbock.. Try www.thelbk.com. Good luck on your quest for hunting opportunities.
Posted By: LuckyDucker_TTU

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock - 02/23/15 11:24 PM

I also grew up around here and Just as D Raider said get out, drive around and try and meet some of the local farmers. There are no hogs in the areas I hunt around lubbock but there are lots of coyotes. I like to hunt near the ponds that I have duck hunted during the year if possible because I noticed tons of tracks to and from those spots. I also like to hunt coyotes in and around places where there are tons of jackrabbit or prairie dogs. I typically like to hunt early morning right before sunrise and couple hours before the sun goes down. The people around here are extremely friendly with the exception of a few here and there. You'd be amazed at what kind of permission you can drum up just by having lunch and striking up a conversation with some of the folks at these small town diners. Just be respectful.

I like to drive around the back roads looking for spots. If i see someone I try and stop and talk to them if they dont seem to busy. One time after a busted duck hunt I happen to come across some cattle got out of their pasture. Well I found the nearest house, which were the owner happened to live, knocked on the door and told them what I had found and where they were. Turns out they had been searching all morning for these missing cows. Took him there and afterward he offered to take me duck hunting the next morning and showed me some more places to hunt. I really wasnt expecting anything in return only trying to help but it turned out well for both of us. Lots of good people out here and if you can help them in any way theyll return the favor. Good luck!
Posted By: tturaiderhunter

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock - 02/24/15 04:10 AM

Thanks for the help guys! That's how I found the spots that I have for duck hunting so i'll continue to do that. great idea about the gin too!

Guns Up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock - 02/24/15 05:01 AM

Like they said, get out of Lubbock and network the area small towns. Hunting is big business and income, but you can still find a place with a little work and lot of luck.
Posted By: Rockfish Dave

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock - 02/24/15 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: LuckyDucker_TTU
I also grew up around here and Just as D Raider said get out, drive around and try and meet some of the local farmers. There are no hogs in the areas I hunt around lubbock but there are lots of coyotes. I like to hunt near the ponds that I have duck hunted during the year if possible because I noticed tons of tracks to and from those spots. I also like to hunt coyotes in and around places where there are tons of jackrabbit or prairie dogs. I typically like to hunt early morning right before sunrise and couple hours before the sun goes down. The people around here are extremely friendly with the exception of a few here and there. You'd be amazed at what kind of permission you can drum up just by having lunch and striking up a conversation with some of the folks at these small town diners. Just be respectful.

I like to drive around the back roads looking for spots. If i see someone I try and stop and talk to them if they dont seem to busy. One time after a busted duck hunt I happen to come across some cattle got out of their pasture. Well I found the nearest house, which were the owner happened to live, knocked on the door and told them what I had found and where they were. Turns out they had been searching all morning for these missing cows. Took him there and afterward he offered to take me duck hunting the next morning and showed me some more places to hunt. I really wasnt expecting anything in return only trying to help but it turned out well for both of us. Lots of good people out here and if you can help them in any way theyll return the favor. Good luck!

Great advice. Being friendly and a good neighbor goes a long ways to building mutually beneficial relationships. Just being a good neighbor has gotten me access to over 2000 additional acre's for varmint hunting (not that I can actually work that much land).

Best of luck to you and you choose a great school.
Posted By: Mickey Phelan

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock - 02/25/15 02:51 PM

When I was up there at school we hunted varmints and my suggestion and our best luck was south and west of town. I only personally killed one hog while I was there but it was towards tahoka although I saw a lot in that area
Posted By: Mason

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock - 02/27/15 06:26 AM

Very few hogs, and they roam. Out here now. I only hunt waterfowl and yotes on the cap, drive off it for everything else or west to the sand hills.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum