Texas Hunting Forum

Coyote Problem!!

Posted By: TXHENDO55

Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 01:35 AM

We've had three calfs killed in the last week. Problem is these dogs have been called at by our neighbors and they are extremely weary of the calls at this point. We are going to try and make a few stands on Saturday morning and any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 02:16 AM

Without any other information, it sounds like your bait is your calves and that you may need to shoot around, near, amongst your herd. That isn't necessarily a dangerous thing to do, depending on how dispersed the cattle are.

Do you have night vision?
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 02:17 AM

Hunt the wind. Play sounds your neighbors may not use.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 03:08 AM

Hunt over the bait. Works great if you don't mind being out at night, and if you have the right gear.
Posted By: IDoc

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 03:16 AM

Get a trapper out there that knows what he is doing
Posted By: Cole P

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 04:33 AM

Get some coil spring traps and learn how to make a dirt hole set or use snares. Another forum (trapperman) can teach you everything you need to know. Otherwise Follow Doc's advice and get a trapper out there. Traps hunt 24/7...

Where are you located?
Posted By: TXHENDO55

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 05:19 AM

Located between Cleburne & Glen Rose, and no I don't have night vision or thermal. I'm going to try in the morning without calling and try to play the wind right.
Posted By: Reality Outdoors

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 05:20 AM

Where you located?
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 12:01 PM

They are attracted to the afterbirth from calves being born, calves are secondary target. Usually mama cow won't let yotes near calves...killed 2 of 3 couples weeks ago worrying the cows away from where the calves wee born the night before... Hunt near your herd like others said above. No need to call they will come by looking for groceries sooner or later.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 12:18 PM

How old were the calves you lost?
Posted By: texas2

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 12:38 PM

Most counties have a county trapper. All you have to do is to give them access and they'll take care of it. We use one in Mcculloch county and he has done a good job for us.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 01:28 PM

get you a live animal trap, put a goat in it, sit back & watch, there is some other things to do with this method, if interested contact me.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 02:24 PM

hunt over bait and get some night vision or put out a trap with live bait (chicken)
Posted By: cp50948

Re: Coyote Problem!! - 02/13/15 02:49 PM

Use a coyote pup distress sound. Most people use rabbit distress or mouse squeaks. Always works for me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum