Texas Hunting Forum

Socal transplant. I come in peace

Posted By: fill

Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 08:30 AM

....I promise. I was born and raised here, and after 34 years we've finally reached our limit and are turning our backs on CA and their garbage for good.

We're closing escrow on our place here in East SD in 11 days, and also closing escrow on our new place out in Caddo Mills around the 20th. We're looking forward to getting back to small town living and having our boys grow up Texan. I can tell you first hand....the things you read and hear about CA are true, and then some. Cali is a lost cause.

Anyway, upland wing shooting and predators are my thing. Ive been deadly out west in the dark of night with my foxpro, some #4 mag buckshot, and my NightEyesLights red LED headlamp. I realize things are a bit different in TX though with public land being scare and limitations on night hunting for non-game preds even.

Ive been reading up on Caddo Nat'l Grasslands and Old Sabine Bottom WMA. Sounds like the regs for pursuits, shooting hours, and ammo type change all of the time for these types of places. Im wanting to spend few months doing more research and some scouting before actually squeezing off any shots. Hopefully develop relationships with some land owners in the surrounding areas too. There has got to be opportunities that'll keep me hunting when I get there.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 09:31 AM

welcome
Posted By: Western

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 11:33 AM

May take a couple of showers to wash off all that Cali grin and welcome
Posted By: Cast

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 12:16 PM

Watch out for your new neighbors. I hear that Caddo Mills has some dubious characters.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 01:29 PM

welcome
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 03:43 PM

You'll be right in my backyard, Greenville, so I have to ask... what made you settle on Caddo Mills?
Don't forget to buy those boys fishing poles. And get them signed up for the Huter Safety Certification class ASAP.
There is a really nice Cajun place just behind the Truck Stop there at the Caddo Mills exit off 30, good food and they have a BYOB license.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 04:03 PM

They may take to boy out of texas but they can't take the texas out of the boy

welcome back
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 04:47 PM

welcome ta THF. Dont know much bout Caddo Nat'l Grassland. OSBWMA tis The guys that work their cheers do a Great job. Best Wishes flag
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 04:54 PM

Bring your bow to deer hunt public.
Shotgun to hunt pigs on Cooper.
Whatever ya want to hunt pigs at White Oak.
Fair dove hunting in your area and north.

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
May take a couple of showers to wash off all that Cali grin and welcome

Seemingly, but no need to try and wash off the dirty politics and freak show that never stuck. I dont have a liberal bone in my body. I also dont think there was ever a single proposition or state bill that I ever backed. CA politics are so bizarre that they almost make politics in DC seem normal. I will say this though...being a Vet myself I was damn proud to have Congressman Duncan Hunter as my Rep in DC.

Originally Posted By: Cast
Watch out for your new neighbors. I hear that Caddo Mills has some dubious characters.

Dubious would be a step above the characters that walk among us here in CA.

Originally Posted By: Hunt Dog
You'll be right in my backyard, Greenville, so I have to ask... what made you settle on Caddo Mills?
Don't forget to buy those boys fishing poles. And get them signed up for the Huter Safety Certification class ASAP.
There is a really nice Cajun place just behind the Truck Stop there at the Caddo Mills exit off 30, good food and they have a BYOB license.

Caddo has a great school system and that was appealing to us. Plus I have no interest being caught up in the hustle and bustle of the inner-city DFW area, or going North on the 75. We looked at Lavon, Nevada, Royse, Josephine....and you just get more house for you money in Caddo. Ive actually been out there and driven all over that area several times and liked it.

The cajun place sounds legit! You better believe I'll down there on day 1 or 2. Cajun and BBQ are my favorites, so Im in good hands in TX. Plus, what's not to like about a place that lets you BYOB.

Originally Posted By: colt.45
welcome ta THF. Dont know much bout Caddo Nat'l Grassland. OSBWMA tis The guys that work their cheers do a Great job. Best Wishes flag

Well Ive worked hard for every pelt that is hanging on the wall in my garage, so Im good with putting in some seat time in order to be successful.

Originally Posted By: Big Daddy K
Bring your bow to deer hunt public.
Shotgun to hunt pigs on Cooper.
Whatever ya want to hunt pigs at White Oak.
Fair dove hunting in your area and north.

Bow hunting will be a new leaf turning over for me, but I am not opposed to it. I do have a pretty fierce Barnett crossbow though. Here in CA crossbows cannot be used during archery season and only during rifle season. So for obvious reasons it didnt get much use. Thanks for the heads up on the other areas for pig. Pig hunting is something I hope to really get into with my sons. Theyre only 3 and 5, but I have a feeling theyre going to love it. My wife thinks she is ready to get into Dove and Turkey hunting, but I just laugh and ask her how she expects to wing shoot with a Starbucks coffee in her hand?

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/03/15 11:46 PM

Would check on the crossbow during archery hunts on WMA. 2nd year have missed archery hunts at OSBWMA cause of shoulders, & i dont qualfy for disability. been turned down . Some Public land does have gun hunts for deer. Most archery only & no crossbow unless disabled. Best wishes flag
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/04/15 03:05 AM

welcome
Posted By: retired_ole_sargent

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/04/15 07:20 PM

Welcome,

As a misplaced Texan (born and raised in California, but knew I didn't belong) I moved here two years ago and love it. I'm north of the Metro-plex trying to find places to hunt.
Posted By: Chris001

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/04/15 08:12 PM

Welcome! I AM A Native Socal Kid Myself AND Love It Here in Texas. All though I'm a little south of you....near Livingston. Let me know if your ever in the area and I'll see if we can get you on some hogs.
Posted By: Slicktricked

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/04/15 09:42 PM

Hi
Posted By: Jake84

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/05/15 12:29 AM

Welcome to THF, I am new to hunting public lands in TX but Colt.45 put me on Old Sabine Bottom a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. I am headed back this weekend, possibly taking my dad with me. Weather looks promising so maybe I will bring home some bacon. I haven't tried Caddo National Grasslands but I keep wanting to get out there also.

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/05/15 01:02 AM

They got a good group worken their at OSBWMA. i dont care what they say about me. For $48.00 its a good place for hog hunten. Some times get too carried away taking video's. Lots of great memmories. Would be their hunten, thats offtopic ..... Got light mist this evening. Not sure how wet it gona be at OSB it usualy stays wet. Gone threw can of pvc glue on my tennishoes from hog hunten, only thing holding them tagether is duck tape. rofl Proud supporter of WMA flag
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/05/15 01:58 PM

Welcome back. Did you bring donuts?

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/05/15 03:42 PM

Sorry... I didnt. I'm more of a carne asada burrito kinda guy.

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/05/15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake84
Welcome to THF, I am new to hunting public lands in TX but Colt.45 put me on Old Sabine Bottom a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. I am headed back this weekend, possibly taking my dad with me. Weather looks promising so maybe I will bring home some bacon. I haven't tried Caddo National Grasslands but I keep wanting to get out there also.

Leaves off trees. so can see farther, wether in stand or spot & stalk. Have found back packing is easeist way. Got a adidas mesh type. Used ta take military style. Friend had the adidas. Lot lighter. Back straps & quarters. Do one side, roll over repete. Lot easier on back. Gut if want tender loin. Warmer weather need ta get on ice faster. i'm some what of a sissy. Works best for me. No expert last few years been skunked. Been sitting over bait here, corn still cant get a hog. flag
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/06/15 12:04 AM

Welcome Brother!

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/06/15 03:45 AM

Thanks all for the hospitality and info. We're 9 days away from hopping in the Yukon and driving out.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Socal transplant. I come in peace - 02/07/15 03:46 AM

Bring Rocky's burgers and Ballast Point beers, thanks.

Oh yeah, welcome home and to THF.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum