Texas Hunting Forum

What a waste

Posted By: taterpop

What a waste - 02/03/15 04:56 AM

Pull into a parking lot on some Corp land tonight to go coon hunting scattered around that parking area were ten coon carcasses someone had skinned them for the hide. Around here coon meat will go for 10$ to 15$. For sure it put a dent in the ringtales that our hounds chase.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What a waste - 02/03/15 05:32 AM

eek2
I'd be livin if that was the case here.. They are lucky to get the honor if the bone pile in these parts.. But I can feel the frustration for $15 a pop
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: What a waste - 02/04/15 06:17 AM

You in texas with a meat market?
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: What a waste - 02/04/15 10:43 AM

Same thing in N.La. 10 is the minimum going rate.

Re: What a waste - 02/04/15 02:55 PM

I am a Sport Chase coon hunter I will not kill more than about 10 to twenty a year I hunt about three or four nights a week. Last night treed four and never fired a shot,but I still think it's a gross waste of game because the coons are hunted heavy in our part of Texas.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: What a waste - 02/04/15 03:03 PM

You can have my quota of raccoon roasts.
Posted By: Beckett

Re: What a waste - 02/04/15 09:25 PM

People buy / sell raccoon meat? I didn't even think coyotes ate those things.

Man.......I missed out on a money making opportunity! When I set my pig feeder 3 years ago it looked like one of those "Occupy Wall St" protest except it wasn't freeloading bums, it was freeloading raccoons. I bet I shot 100 of those things. Still have one or two around but they aren't causing me any problems.

Do you sell the meat to friends, restaurants....?????

Re: What a waste - 02/05/15 08:08 AM

I'll ask again, where's your meat market in texas

Re: What a waste - 02/05/15 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Beckett
People buy / sell raccoon meat? I didn't even think coyotes ate those things.

Man.......I missed out on a money making opportunity! When I set my pig feeder 3 years ago it looked like one of those "Occupy Wall St" protest except it wasn't freeloading bums, it was freeloading raccoons. I bet I shot 100 of those things. Still have one or two around but they aren't causing me any problems.

Do you sell the meat to friends, restaurants....?????

Go to a fish market in South Monroe. They'll have a cardboard sign on the door. Coons for sale. I have a cousin who runs dogs. He sells every one he kills as soon as the sun comes up. And sells the hides.
Posted By: truenorthoutdoors_tx

Re: What a waste - 02/06/15 05:12 PM

I've never heard of anyone eating coons in the last 50 yrs, my grandpa used to back in th depression days. Most people just wanna killem all. I used to coon hunt, let my dogs have fur every time if it wasn't a competition hunt.

Re: What a waste - 02/06/15 05:39 PM

Truenorth you made a good point about letting your hounds have some fur,and it makes for a better hound. But about all the land I have to hunt is Corp land and coons are thin. I have also hunted land where coons were causing alot of trouble and those coon had to die or be thined heavy.
Posted By: truenorthoutdoors_tx

Re: What a waste - 02/06/15 07:27 PM

I didn't know coons were thin anywhere in the state of TX!!
Posted By: cliffie

Re: What a waste - 02/06/15 11:19 PM

I've got a recipe for coon roast! Never tried it.

Re: What a waste - 02/07/15 05:11 AM

Are you avoiding the question I asked about the coon meat market in texas?
Posted By: Western

Re: What a waste - 02/07/15 02:13 PM

Last time I recall hearing about anyone eating a coon, was in the 60's and they was PO Arkansas folk. If you can sell them here in Texas, I'd think a bunch of fellas would be after that extra cash? I remember when the hides where fetching $20-30 (80's) and near wiped them out in some ares, but haven't heard of them bringing hardly $5 for some time? Not worth skinning..
Posted By: Cast

Re: What a waste - 02/07/15 03:03 PM

Hey, if it's good enough for Ellie Mae...
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: What a waste - 02/07/15 03:29 PM

People buy coons for food? You must be kidding.
Posted By: Cast

Re: What a waste - 02/07/15 03:42 PM

Ever been to Hawaii? There are no black dogs.
Posted By: Western

Re: What a waste - 02/07/15 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Ever been to Hawaii? There are no black dogs.

Can't reply to that without going to ban camp........But I beg to differ..... blush

BTW, I did see a hunting type show, seems they also have a wild hog problem on one of those islands?
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: What a waste - 02/07/15 05:51 PM

Doesn't look like we will ever get an answer as to where in Texas we can sell coons for meat.
Posted By: breadman

Re: What a waste - 02/08/15 01:07 AM

taste like chicken,taste like chicken,and taste like chicken.
Posted By: L. C. Clower

Re: What a waste - 02/08/15 05:00 PM

I'm gonna get sick every time I go by a KFC now.
Posted By: Texaslawman

Re: What a waste - 02/08/15 08:23 PM

I know in South Dallas there is a food truck that sells coon meat but I have not seen anywhere buying the coons from hunters.

Re: What a waste - 02/09/15 10:01 AM

East TX probably. My fo;ks in Timpson and Center probably still eat em.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: What a waste - 02/09/15 12:44 PM

My Uncle used to run a vegetable route in Bastrop on Tuesday and Lockhart on Thursday until about 1990.
He had a large garden, small fruit orchard, kept bee hives, hunted all manners of wildlife and kept rattlesnakes for pets - yeah, it was an adventure visiting his place as a kid.
He never threw anyting away and had more raccoon hide stretching boards than I could count.
He always had a few coons in the ice chest on his route and seldom ever came home with any.
He even had a couple of regular customers that requested armadillos and possums.

To each his own....I mean, come on, look at some of the crap that passes for fine French food?!?!?!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: What a waste - 02/09/15 01:44 PM

Back in the late 90's when I last sold the buyer wanted all coons frozen solid, no skinning at all! They were paying $3 for the meat & $9 for the hide if it was good. He said they sold the meat to people in Louisiana.

Re: What a waste - 02/10/15 06:55 AM

Man, with all the coons in TX, ya'll could pay for your leases by running I-20 from Shreveport to Vicksburg selling coons. Folks in N.LA love them and they're hard to find up that way.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: What a waste - 02/10/15 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: breadman
taste like chicken,taste like chicken,and taste like chicken.

Correction breadman: It does not taste like chicken! I have never had bear meat, but have been told it's much the same, a little bit greasy from all the fat. I've only had my grandmothers roasted recipe, but if you had it and no one told you what is was, you'd probably enjoy it.

There's still an annual "Coon Supper" fund raiser in SE Ark. to raise scholarship $. It's kind of turned into a political thing the past 20-30 years. Clinton used to go...

Back in the old days of the supper, hunters would come in from all over the country the week before for the big hunt that provided the hundreds of pounds(thousands of pounds some years) of meat needed. These days I think trappers provide most of it

Coon hunting used to be very popular in many areas of the south and still is to some degree. Believe it or not, really good coon hunting dogs can cost as much or more than a good bird dog.

For the non believers:

http://talkbusiness.net/2015/01/gillett-coon-supper-slated-for-saturday-january-10/

I found this link too. it has some history of the event:

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=3827

Posted By: HWY72

Re: What a waste - 02/10/15 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: cliffie
I've got a recipe for coon roast! Never tried it.

Gotta boil it first cliffie, just like those hog ribs......
Posted By: wtjim

Re: What a waste - 02/10/15 02:23 PM

The man ain't gonna give up his buyer, I wouldn't. It ruin it fast...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What a waste - 02/10/15 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Back in the late 90's when I last sold the buyer wanted all coons frozen solid, no skinning at all! They were paying $3 for the meat & $9 for the hide if it was good. He said they sold the meat to people in Louisiana.

We were getting around $10-12 per fresh killed coons that were frozen whole in the early 90's in Kendall County. I had a couple of guys that BBQ'd them in San Antonio back then. You have to eat it right off the pit they said cause when it cooled down that fat got nasty tasting. There was a market for the coon meat in the early 70's in the Victoria area. We could get $25-35 for the hides then sell the meat.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What a waste - 02/10/15 02:54 PM

When I was in college at A&M we took buffalo and carp that we bowfished to people in Bryan that ate them. They would take coons too, but we never had any... Shot one with the bow while bowfishing... that was a mistake!

If seeing the skinned ones upset you we would really make you mad. Shoot em and get their foot out of the trap is all we do, then straight to the gut pile.
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: What a waste - 02/10/15 05:54 PM

Ive made a little money on coons. Most varmint contests will have a side pot for heavy coon. They usually pay anywhere from 200$-800$ depending on how many entries.

Re: What a waste - 02/10/15 07:26 PM

I went varmit calling with a buddy and had to borrow a gun because I was away from home. Only gun that was available to borrow was another buddy's 7mm wby mag shooting 160 grain nosler partitions... don't think there was enough of those coons left to sell and if there was it would take a bit to cover the ammo cost! roflmao
Posted By: passthru

Re: What a waste - 02/10/15 07:41 PM

I kill everyone I can and leave them for the hogs and yotes to eat. Maybe I should put them in the freezer . . .

Re: What a waste - 02/11/15 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
I kill everyone I can and leave them for the hogs and yotes to eat. Maybe I should put them in the freezer . . .

Not anymore.

Hey STX, did you ever grill ? I think I might starve to death before being able to eat one, that smell...Even being 20 years since I skinned my last coon, the smell still haunts me! Just nothing I can think of to compare it to.

I do miss ringtails though, man they were sooooo easy to skin! A bit rank but nothing like a coon.

Re: What a waste - 02/11/15 05:42 AM

Well a lot of coon meat is sold black market style. A licensed fur dealer such a myself can buy and sell coons for immediate consumption. I can sell to anyone that I want as long as it's for personal use if you have any intent to resell those then you need a fur dealers license as well. If you have it lined up then it's worth it but seriously think about how much effort and extra work and space is involved in harvesting 100's of coon, keeping them cold iced down just like any other meat, then properly freezing them to prevent freezer burn until your secondary buyer purchases them from you. It takes too much extra bull to really make money at selling coon meat, unless you've got guys bangin on your door everyday for raccoons but that's not gonna happen here in texas. Gotta cross the state line for that, so in all honesty I think this is pretty much an underground market that people buy and sell on a small scale.

Re: What a waste - 02/11/15 01:21 PM

Grout, how long did those coons sit before you skinned them? Ive skinned a few just to tan the hides for myself/family and non of them stank any more than a deer. Other than the thought of eating a coon they meat didn't look bad and had a lot of fat, would probably bbq well... that said I never tried it.

Re: What a waste - 02/11/15 01:59 PM

Red, never more than an hour. I think my sniffer is just sensitive because cleaning a hog does the same thing to me, I can't eat a hog that I've cleaned because all I can think about is the smell of them uncooked. I might be a bit loco though.
Posted By: WatersFowler

Re: What a waste - 02/11/15 04:42 PM

here you go...

sell them to a chinaman...

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/02/1...ccoons-as-food/
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: What a waste - 02/16/15 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Txcatman1
I'll ask again, where's your meat market in texas

Was a guy around Ozona that said he would buy from me.Dont recall him name. But he only paid $2.00 per coon meat and around $3.00 for the hide. This was about four years back. He said it was being used in dog food.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: What a waste - 02/18/15 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: WatersFowler
here you go...

sell them to a chinaman...

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/02/1...ccoons-as-food/

That's what I was thinking, oriental restaurants should be a good market.
Posted By: breadman

Re: What a waste - 02/19/15 12:32 AM

a few beers and buddies and it all taste like chicken !!!!
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: What a waste - 02/23/15 09:05 PM

Looks like there may be some places selling raccoon meat.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4059512679001...k#sp=show-clips
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What a waste - 02/23/15 09:52 PM

Taste like pork more than chicken...

imagine a greasy pork loin...

Actually Hannibal could tell you what it taste like also
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum