Texas Hunting Forum

hog n dog with just one dog?

Posted By: Erich

hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/16/14 03:58 PM

I have a friend who's done some hog n dog lately with just one dog? just a single bay dog I guess who will work a pig and hold him enough that the hunter can work in close enough for a shot with a gun.

does anyone else have experience with this? I've hog n dog hunted once before, to say that it was exciting hunting would be an understatement. I have absolutely no interest though in keeping that many dogs or learning how to be an on site verterinarian.

one dog though...that would bay a hog and allow a hunter to approach for a rifle shot sounds simple enough.
Posted By: tx_biologist

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/16/14 07:10 PM

One is good but two will cut the hog off if he tries to run. One dog there is a lot more running than two stopping and baying. I do it all the time just have a good gun to bring the hog down. I use a 44 mag lever action.
Posted By: Crews

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/16/14 08:37 PM

Yeah, I did it a lot back in the college days. I've always said that my best memories were made with just me and a single bay dog. No big hassle toting a pack of dogs around. It can definitely be an effective way to hog hunt. The dog I used was a real excellent blackmouth cur. I encouraged him to not range too far out. He'd locate them, and was able to single one out and hold it just long enough for me to get in there for a shot. I say get you a good bay dog puppy, and go for it!

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/17/14 07:49 PM

i guess if I found a good bay puppy....something from good hunting experience

how do you go about training a dog like that? I would guess getting dogs with any amount of finished training would get sort of expensive.
Posted By: M Bennet

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/18/14 01:22 AM

Come go with me.I run dogs.4/5 bay dogs an 2catch dogs.
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/18/14 01:33 AM

Yes it sure will work , I have hunted with one dog pleanty of times but mine will catch so no shooting but if you find a good loose bay dog shooting over it would work just fine my main strike dog right now I prolly could do this with but I prefer to catch them rather than shoot them
Posted By: Mike Savoy

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/18/14 04:16 AM

One good dog is all you need to bay and shoot. If I am shooting I use my two old dogs. If a hog is going to run on one dog it will do the same with two.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/18/14 04:33 AM

Yes, we hunt with 1 or 2 dogs at a time. They are not bay dogs that you shoot over though. They are finders/holders, they do it all and no barking. They find/catch/hold, no guns allowed with the dogs. Knife only unless gonna hobble.
Posted By: fonzie

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/18/14 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Yes, we hunt with 1 or 2 dogs at a time. They are not bay dogs that you shoot over though. They are finders/holders, they do it all and no barking. They find/catch/hold, no guns allowed with the dogs. Knife only unless gonna hobble.

What kind of dogs are you running brother?

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/18/14 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: fonzie
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

What kind of dogs are you running brother?

They are wolfhound/deerhound/dane X's. Hairy dogs.

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/18/14 04:06 PM

skinnerback.....you hunt like that in the brush down there in duval? and it works allright for you? did you train your dogs yourself? or where did you get them?
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/18/14 04:57 PM

I can hunt my stag by him self an catch pigs

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/19/14 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Erich
skinnerback.....you hunt like that in the brush down there in duval? and it works allright for you? did you train your dogs yourself? or where did you get them?

I don't run dogs on my place in Duval, it's too small for that. We do run them in thick brush country though, just makes things a little more difficult. I have a good friend of mine that is a contract hunter & hunts full time. I got my dogs from him and started from there. If the dog is worth a darn, he/she doesn't require much training - it's in their blood/instinct. They either have it or they don't. When I first got into pig hunting with dogs I went with guys who ran packs of bay dogs/catch dogs...that was fun but later in life when I started hunting with my friend & his stag hounds I got hooked. One experienced decent sized dog is all you need to catch one after another....if the dogs are young will often hunt two at a time.
Posted By: Mike Savoy

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/19/14 06:15 PM

Skinner , you must be talking about Joshua white.

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/19/14 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Savoy
Skinner , you must be talking about Joshua white.

Yes sir, that's him. I take it you know him?

Re: hog n dog with just one dog? - 12/19/14 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SwampHunterFw
I can hunt my stag by him self an catch pigs

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum