Texas Hunting Forum

Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt)

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt) - 11/25/14 05:10 AM

I picked the scope up several months ago, and have only seen two pigs since purchasing. I missed a pig two weeks ago, but connected tonight. I don't have a mini dvr yet, so pictures will have to do for now. The scope has performed well, and while not on the level of high end NV it fits my needs (hunting & budget both).

Went to the property for a quick hunt, and had a very interesting encounter. I dropped my gear (including my gun) about 70 yards from my feeder, and then parked my truck. I started walking from my truck to the chair/gear, and I see two pigs at the feeder. I was stuck 70 yards from my gun with two pigs staring at me, so I decided to try my luck. I tried walking as quietly as I could while keeping a tree between myself and the pigs. Ultimately the pigs saw me and walked off, but they eventually went back to the feeder.

At that point I thinking to myself "I can't believe my luck" , and was wondering how much longer that luck would last. Well I made it to about 15 yards from my gun and my luck ran out, or at least I thought it did. I stepped on a pile of dry branches which scared one pig off, and the pig I shot was staring me down. As I stood there motionless, I was thinking of how I can get to my gun without spooking the pig starring at me. Out of desperation I started crawling on my hands and knees the remaing 15 yards to my gun. I was certain the pig would run off, but instead he starts walking towards me. I don't know if the pig thought I was another pig (no cheap shots here), or what was on his mind, but he was heading my way. I finally make it to my gun, turn the scope on and see the pig is now about 40 yards away.

The pig I shot should have trusted his friends instinct to run away, because tonight my aim was true and the 62 grain Barnes TSX did it's job. Pig was DRT.

Crazy hunt for sure, but one I'll remember for a long time. I shot the pig around 5:45, so it wasn't completly dark, but the scope made it easy to see my target. Another plus is the ammo used was my own handloads.

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt) - 11/25/14 11:50 AM

Glad to see u got one on the ground joe! Been a long time coming
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt) - 11/25/14 01:44 PM

That is terrific. Nice job and good story!
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt) - 11/25/14 02:43 PM

Congrats! Enjoyed the story...especially the pig maybe thinking it was another pig part... grin
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt) - 11/25/14 03:14 PM

cheers
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt) - 11/26/14 01:26 AM

Cool story congrats ,,,,pig hunting nothing like it ...
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt) - 11/26/14 04:32 AM

Congrats also.
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt) - 11/26/14 05:14 AM

Congrats and thanks for the entertaining story.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt) - 11/26/14 04:43 PM

Congrats. I learned a long time ago to carry my gun with me for that very reason. Only I was walking to the stand/gun and had a nice 9 point buck standing there staring at me. I now walk with gun in hand. up
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Sightmark Photon draws first blood (crazy hunt) - 11/27/14 11:16 PM

Great story.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum