Texas Hunting Forum

Hog trap idea...

Posted By: MathMan

Hog trap idea... - 11/23/14 01:12 AM

I was looking at wireless triggers for hog traps where you could trigger it yourself when you see hogs in it.

Then I thought of an idea. Maybe it's been talked about before. I searched and couldn't find anything.

Here's the idea. Wire up a metal plate about 2'x2' on a hinge to the wire holding the gate up. When the hogs are all in, then shoot the metal plate and it lets the gate fall and most hogs are caught unlike usual for us. This would be good on a big pen trap. Could shoot it from far away.

This would only work when hogs are going in the trap and you would have to be there to set it off. Wouldn't work usually if you trap at night but it might work for someone.

Might work...idk.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hog trap idea... - 11/23/14 01:35 AM

Basically, you are making a "dunk tank" trigger except instead of dropping a person when you hit the target, you drop the gate.

Sure, why not?

However, 2x2 steel rated for rifle is going to be fairly heavy and a lot of mass to move. I would consider a smaller target plate. A 1x1 you should still be able to hit from 200 yards and it would be 1/4 of the weight.
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: Hog trap idea... - 11/24/14 04:18 PM

I southern engineer alot of things, but this thread has me all confused crazy

Are yall saying to shoot a piece of steel that is 2 feet by 2 feet or even 1 foot by 1 foot to trigger the door on a trap?????
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hog trap idea... - 11/24/14 10:12 PM

rock_on here's your sign flag
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hog trap idea... - 11/24/14 10:50 PM

Quote:
Are yall saying to shoot a piece of steel that is 2 feet by 2 feet or even 1 foot by 1 foot to trigger the door on a trap?????

That is what I was understanding, yes.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Hog trap idea... - 11/25/14 12:04 AM

Wonder how many have the time to sit around and wait for a trap to fill up? confused2
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: Hog trap idea... - 11/25/14 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: MathMan
I was looking at wireless triggers for hog traps where you could trigger it yourself when you see hogs in it.

Then I thought of an idea. Maybe it's been talked about before. I searched and couldn't find anything.

Here's the idea. Wire up a metal plate about 2'x2' on a hinge to the wire holding the gate up. When the hogs are all in, then shoot the metal plate and it lets the gate fall and most hogs are caught unlike usual for us. This would be good on a big pen trap. Could shoot it from far away.

This would only work when hogs are going in the trap and you would have to be there to set it off. Wouldn't work usually if you trap at night but it might work for someone.

Might work...idk.

Shooting something would work, but how practical and how safe are just a couple of things to consider.

Question..... Whats the ultimate goal?
Maximum animals removed?
Catching the biggest animals you can?

Sometimes it works both ways but more often than not, you got to decide what you want in the end before you begin. cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum