Texas Hunting Forum

Any experience with .17 wsm?

Posted By: Gone to Texas

Any experience with .17 wsm? - 11/14/14 03:54 PM

I am in the market for a new rimfire rifle. I have an iron sight .22 lr I use for rabbits and squirrels and I am looking to get a scoped rifle for longer ranges. This gun will mainly be used for rabbits and squirrels plus some varmint control like armadillos and ground hogs.

I had my mind made up with a Savage .17 hmr with plans to suppress it down the road. However, I have been reading about the .17 wsm and it looks pretty awesome.

Anyone hunt with it before or have any suggestions?
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Any experience with .17 wsm? - 11/15/14 04:48 PM

I got the Savage B Mag in 17 WSM. I really like it. Very accurate and killed a coyote at 125 yards without a problem. It is deadly on prairie dogs here in Nebraska!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Any experience with .17 wsm? - 11/16/14 01:09 PM

start locating and buying ammo now, its about as scarce as .22lr, I had one of the first savage's that came out, sold it and bought the Winchester 1885,have not done any hunting yet.
Posted By: pdugas

Re: Any experience with .17 wsm? - 12/04/14 06:25 PM

I bought Savage Bmag about a month ago. I put a Boyd's wood stock on it and love it. Ammo is readily available here in Louisiana. It shoots GREAT. It's way more accurate than I am.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Any experience with .17 wsm? - 12/04/14 06:32 PM

I bought a new B-Mag about 3 weeks ago, have new scope but haven't gotten the right rings yet. I'll have it shooting soon. Ammo is NOT readily available around here, I found one place on-line and stocked up but was kinda expensive. I may look into putting a wood stock on it. I'm pretty excited about this gun...
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Any experience with .17 wsm? - 12/05/14 03:12 AM

I often use www.ammoseek.com to find ammo sources. Here is the current listings for .17 wsm

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/17wsm
Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Re: Any experience with .17 wsm? - 12/05/14 11:54 AM

The early B-mag suffered with accuracy issues.

Savage may have fiddled with the stock on the newer guns and introduced a heavy barrel as well.

I say all that to say this, if I were in the hunt for a 17 WSM I would be sure to get one that was made in the last 6 months.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Any experience with .17 wsm? - 12/05/14 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs
The early B-mag suffered with accuracy issues.

Savage may have fiddled with the stock on the newer guns and introduced a heavy barrel as well.

I say all that to say this, if I were in the hunt for a 17 WSM I would be sure to get one that was made in the last 6 months.

I handled one when they first came out. The forestock was very flimsy and the bolt was VERY stiff. The one I just bought feels better (feels pretty good actually). Stock isn't as flimsy & bolt not quite as stiff.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Any experience with .17 wsm? - 12/06/14 06:58 PM

as mentioned in ammo & reloading, the 17 wsm ammo is showing up at cabelas, I bought the first one that came our...savage accuracy, did not like the stock or bolt.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum