Texas Hunting Forum

Trapper Pics

Posted By: Javelin225ho

Trapper Pics - 10/23/14 01:41 AM

Anyone have any good trapping pics? i'll have to go find some and post up here from last year.

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/23/14 03:22 AM

if you notice the coon on the tailgate had a dog proof on…he took that dog proof the day prior and i got him in a snare the next day. that dude was an old boar coon.
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/24/14 05:56 AM

Since no one will bite I'll put some catch pics up for you bud

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/24/14 06:00 AM

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/24/14 06:09 AM

I am the coon man lol
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/24/14 10:42 AM

flehan
Posted By: vm788

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/24/14 05:28 PM

Few from my collection.
Posted By: tuffbroadhead

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/24/14 09:57 PM

Greg....what trap did ya use to catch that monkey in the tree!!
Posted By: Texaswats

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/25/14 12:13 AM

I'm that monkey, tuffbroad

roflmao Don't worry noone was caught, its just a catch picture for the early coons that were headed to NAFA.

Good cats VM, is that top one a one eye ol fighter or did he just wink for the picture?

Good thread goin, keep it up boys

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/25/14 02:30 AM

Lol nice pics monkey man, I like that ol leverage seeker pic in the swamp, good one
Posted By: PWT

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/25/14 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
flehan

Wow! Impressive, to say the least...

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/25/14 02:07 PM

Great pics!!

I never took pictures till my kiddos got involved last yr..

When I get off duty and back to the house on monday Ill post up some critter pics from last year.

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/25/14 08:55 PM

awesome pics guys….thats a lot of fur

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/26/14 03:00 PM

so, what is your go too trap for coons? I love the DP…but the Conibear is a very close second

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/26/14 04:17 PM

Z traps for me, connibears are efficient as well but I think the dp is the way to go. Speed and space is crucial on the line

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/27/14 12:58 AM

I have to agree with Greg, for the ease and speed of rolling out a coon line its hard to beat a DP style trap, I'm really partial to the Freedom Brand FB1's, no dog to mess with and my kids don't have any troubles setting them, as well as my 70 yr old father that just don't have the grip strength anymore..
Posted By: Monster_Raxx

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/27/14 01:20 AM

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/27/14 04:07 AM

If it weren't for the space the buckets take up this would be the go to set for me.

Walk up to all of em looking like this...DOA

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/27/14 07:11 PM

Pics from last year..

[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._747380601_n.jp[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._1480281554_n.j[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._2013127237_n.j[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._616785678_n.jp[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._1691204308_n.j[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._1300524491_n.j[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._1689673474_n.j[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._1884515799_n.j[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._1708598287_n.j[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._401480150_n.jp[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._1424174766_n.j[/img]

[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._1090584459_n.j[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._459771250_n.jp[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._1904366294_n.j[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._1987882725_n.j[/img]
[img]http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/p..._755956855_n.jp[/img]

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/27/14 07:11 PM

Hummmm what happened there....ya click on them and it there...but not in the reply...
Posted By: gtowncowboy

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/27/14 08:07 PM

How do I locate fur buyers around Fort Worth? I've been interested in taking my patterdale terriers to the next level and just curious what I would do with coon and fox that they bayed/killed?

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/27/14 09:18 PM

If you put too many pics in a reply that will happen, next time just put like 6 or so per reply an it should work fine
Posted By: Erich

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/28/14 06:04 PM

we've got a lot of coyote down on our place. south texas. I've got some leg traps. I've never had a lot of luck with them. but I probably haven't put my diligence forward on them either.

we see coyote scat frequently. lots of sign along our regularly travled roads. would it be smart to simply set a trap in the road rut? assuming other folks on the place new it was there and would avoid it?

otherwise where else would you put one. how do you tell if its primarily yotes using a trail? or a fence crossing?

I guess I probably need to boil my traps and then just be careful about scent?

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/29/14 12:13 AM

Just did this little guys paperwork and released him..

Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/29/14 01:01 AM

coolpics

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/29/14 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Erich
we've got a lot of coyote down on our place. south texas. I've got some leg traps. I've never had a lot of luck with them. but I probably haven't put my diligence forward on them either.

we see coyote scat frequently. lots of sign along our regularly travled roads. would it be smart to simply set a trap in the road rut? assuming other folks on the place new it was there and would avoid it?

otherwise where else would you put one. how do you tell if its primarily yotes using a trail? or a fence crossing?

I guess I probably need to boil my traps and then just be careful about scent?

No need to boil em really, and yes roadways are coyote highways, set up a four way and put your trap up wind of the crossing so if he comes from anyway he will smell what's there and investigate. Bout the easiest set for beginner there.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/29/14 02:51 AM

Great pics.

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/30/14 12:44 PM

Just a little scratch to the trapping itch...

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/30/14 05:45 PM

Nice doubles!
Posted By: Matagorda Mud Pig

Re: Trapper Pics - 10/31/14 06:33 PM

Greg, as a fur buyer, when do you think the furs will be ready in South East Texas, say about an hour south of Houston? It's still really hot here.

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/01/14 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: AndrewOSpencer
Greg, as a fur buyer, when do you think the furs will be ready in South East Texas, say about an hour south of Houston? It's still really hot here.

Well, to be honest with you the temp is not the determining factor in when the fur starts to "prime". Cold temps will help build a little more underfur but as far as being when the fur starts to get good is based upon the amount of daylight there is compared to night. For us being this far south, our cycle tends to start kickin in aroun thansksgiving. You will still have a few furs that have the slate look to them but for the majority after thanksgiving is a full throttle ahead for me. It can be 80 degrees all the way until Christmas and that fur is going to thicken no matter what due to the biological clock inside of the animal when the light phases change. Cats are a little later. Somewhere around Christmas. Is when they start to get solid, but this year I wouldn't start to early at all especially with coons. Goin to be a tough year market wise, little and early caught coons will have little to no value, same with late caught rubbed coons as well. Take advantage of December and jan an put the hammer down when fur is prime and you should do alright

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/01/14 02:54 PM

greg, can you show pics of the slate and blue color and what a prime coon looks like?

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/02/14 05:01 AM

Well I don't have any seperate detailed pics but I can show you on these couple of pics what they look like leather wise.

The majority of all of these coon hangin here were takin about the week before thanksgiving last year. Notice the blueish gray look to the ones hanging further away from the camera compared to the ones up close. The ones closer to the camera have a much whiter look to the leather and are closer to being prime.

You will also need to take into to consideration the guard hair length around the flank area and how full that area is. This is really the only place a fur grader will focus on when first looking at your fur.

Notice how all of the coon on the right are much whiter than the coon in the middle and to the left. This is not because they are scraped different or anything. The coons in the middle left were all November and early, those are slate. Blue coons will be very dark. The white coon are caught in December and prime. Notice how thick and white looking the leather is. Fur quality follows that time frame. White is what you want and thick long clear gaurd hairs in the flank area
Posted By: nochance4win

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/03/14 05:01 PM

Those are some great pictures. Thanks for sharing guys!

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/07/14 03:17 AM

Ok here's some of the first coon I've fleshed this year and here's a good example of early or young coon vs an older closer to prime coon in regards to the flank area.

This is a young early caught coon, you can see the gaurd hairs are very short and dark, not much value in this coon here, few bucks

This is a much larger boar coon that is close to coming into a prime pelt, notice how full he is in the flank and how long and white his gaurd hairs are, these are the type of coon fur buyers like to see

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/09/14 01:28 PM

Anyone know if Lauren Is still on the forum? She jumped on an older fellas trap line last year for a few weeks to help and they had some awesome catch pics, she even went out and caught herself a few red fox after that. Just wondered if anyone knew if she's around still. I think her name was laurendaniels or somethin along those lines
Posted By: Hollerpoint

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/09/14 04:27 PM

Greg, what's the fur market doing?

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/10/14 02:24 AM

Well, it's not great by any means but fur is still in demand over seas. Better lighter colored thick coyotes are wanted for the trim trade, muskrats are a hot item with Korea bein a strong buyer there, coons and beaver are struggling a little bit, bobcats are still moving very well, grey fox still a little slow and otter are stable.

Hot items across the board are muskrat, which is pretty much a northern item, bobcats, and the pale coyotes.

Smaller coon and beaver have little value this year.

There are many factors that play into the fur market and how prices are affected.
We need cold winters in Russia and china, Russian economy needs to regain strength, china has all kind of fur import issues that have been goin on the last two years that new to be lined out, etc etc.. List goes on on the the different things that portray market value. Can't sell what you don't have though. Market can turn around at anytime, from 2011 to 2012 market jumped 200% in some sections. Dropped the same after china had it's problems last year as well. Never know, it's always a crap shoot but I follow it as close as I can everyday to stay on top of it the best I can

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/11/14 02:40 AM

I dropped out a short line of coon and k9 sets last Monday and due to rain pulled all of them on Tuesday after checking them ...Pouring rain is a wonderful thing up here and I was glad to see it..We needed it badly.

Pulled 12 coons, two cats, and a grey..

Needless to say everything looked like I have expected with slate coons, cats have a ways to go and so did the fox..

5@ 30 inches
1@ 31 inches
3@ 33 inches
2@ 34 inches
1@ 35 inches

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/11/14 04:14 AM

Nice put up dale, I've been workin in the fur room myself past few days gettin caught up from a lot of last years stuff did a few big ones today. 41 and a 39 there

Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/11/14 04:43 AM

Greg, I emailed your dates and info to a young man named Rene from Victoria.
He hunts our place between Westhoff and Smiley. I saw 2 coyotes there while reading my water meter a couple of days ago. One actually layed down in the middle of the road about 50 yards from me and watched me.
He told me he wanted to try calling them and shooting them, but if that doesnt work out for him, I will be looking for someone to come in and trap around the first of the year. Not big land, but it may lead to some additional relatives and also a deer breeder down the road.
Please keep us in mind.
Thanks
Brian Koenig

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/11/14 02:48 PM

Thank you Brian, and let me know if you need some help I'd be happy to get out there if the dates line up.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/11/14 05:17 PM

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/11/14 10:30 PM

Love them ringtails!

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/12/14 12:19 AM

Those are some big ole coons Greg!!

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/15/14 07:05 PM

got a coon today! let the season begin!

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/21/14 04:27 AM

2 more coons….

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/24/14 12:34 AM

im sick of being "Skunked"….2 yesterday and one today….all in dog proof coon traps.
Posted By: HuntKill

Re: Trapper Pics - 11/26/14 04:21 PM

Nice thread...ready to trap some of those corn stealing coons myself!

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/06/14 12:48 AM

got 4 last weekend…see what i can get into this weekend!

7 coons
3 Skunks
1 Dillo

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/09/14 02:35 AM

another coon this weekend on a quick lease gang set. i ended up with one dog proof with a coon hand it in…i gave it too much chain and he got all tangled up, broke his arm and chewed off his hand…i'll get him next weekend in a snare.

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/09/14 03:25 AM

Ain't had time to think about settin this year yet, river trip planned soon, hope to pull a 100 in a few days if all works out
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/10/14 07:55 PM

What do yall use for attracting coyotoes and bobcats to your trap? I see them all the time when I hunt. I bought 4 traps. I have tried the coyote attractant lure and even hung hog guts in a tree above the traps. any help? thought it would be a lot easier than this. I can call the coyotes in with the FoxPro spitfire, but don't want to be making noise during rut!

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/12/14 02:59 AM

look on youtube for "Dirthole set". what kinda traps did you get?

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/12/14 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Txcatman1
Ain't had time to think about settin this year yet, river trip planned soon, hope to pull a 100 in a few days if all works out

That was my plan but with all kinds of things going wrong it took me 9 days to hit my first 100.

The river has not been my friend this year. Lol

Taking this week off to work on and clean traps and weld up a new hog trap.

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/12/14 09:04 PM

Nothin wrong with a double digit average, grind it out, fur will keep stackin. I just don't have time to run a line in the truck this year, have to focus on big number trips.

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/19/14 02:30 AM

finally, i have a new spot to put some steel in the dirt. gonna set my lease this weekend and the new area, should be a good weekend.
Posted By: Bulldog4949

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/19/14 02:35 AM

Just started setting out duke traps to help with coons. Caught 7 so far. This is my biggest.

24 lb boar coon.

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/19/14 03:04 AM

That dude is big.
I got one like that last week, he was huge, but he had a little tail. It didn't look like he had lost part of it to injury, just a little stubby tail. With his huge body he sure looked funny. It made me wonder it their bodies grow big and fat, but the tail stays the same size confused2

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/19/14 03:17 AM

Two foxes this last weekend in snares. This is the smaller of the two

I got this guy by both feet, greedy little bugger. This was with a modified Z-trap.

Posted By: R. Edwards

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/19/14 03:36 AM

What are some brand of snare traps y'all recomend? I'm thinking of picking up a few to play with.

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/19/14 05:09 AM

I just get a small size cable snare at the local hardware store. When I am targeting coyotes I will get a snare made from bigger cable. I do not know the size that I typically use, I never really paid attention. It is kind of "that size looks good" when I go to get more. They are a "one hit wonder" as the snare is usually twisted into a mess when you catch a coon, badger, possum, fox, coyote, bobcat, etc.
With the high fence snares are amazingly effective as varmints will walk the fence looking for a hole to get through, then you got them. I have caught a dozen animals in the same hole under the fence.

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/19/14 01:26 PM

1x19 strand - 5/32" cable is pretty standard for yotes. Hardware store snares work, but making your own is alot cheaper once you get the hang of it. Plus you can 'load' your snares to FIRE shut with cable memory wrather than pull closed like the tear drop shaped 7x7 strand snares that come at most hardware stores. Do a search on 'loading snares' and you'll see what I'm satyin. Good catches simple searcher.
Posted By: mreed

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/19/14 01:38 PM

Great pics!

Re: Trapper Pics - 12/20/14 01:21 AM

i have a couple coons over 25lb…when no one thins them out for 10 years and they eat corn all year, they get huge!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum