Texas Hunting Forum

How many of you Bowhunt hogs?

Posted By: Tree_fish

How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 01/31/14 04:52 PM

How many of you do this? Do you prefer a stand, blind or stalk/still hunt?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 01/31/14 04:55 PM

All of the above... whatever I feel like that day... and what the weather allows... when its really hot I WILL be sitting on a mud hole in the middle of the woods
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 01/31/14 04:55 PM

I think it's safe to say anybody who bow hunts in Texas, bow hunts hogs.

I've successfully harvested one hog stalking, the rest I have harvested from a tripod over a feeder.

IME, dont use your good arrows. Have shot several that didnt pass through cause they hit the opposite shoulder blade. Without an exit wound, it leaves minimal blood, and extremely hard to track. I always keep a couple hog arrows in my quiver when I'm deer hunting.
Posted By: J.R.

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 01/31/14 05:07 PM

Quad pod over a hog tube at 18 yds.- love it!

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 01/31/14 05:12 PM

It sounds like it might be harder than I thought to stalk/still hunt em, is that the rest of you guys experience to? I'm new to hunting in general, can any of you recommend some good websites for learning about hog hunting? I've been reading a lot here and on archerytalk, but I would like to expand my resources.

@Dirtnap- thanks for that tip, can you recommend a good hog arrow? I've heard other mention the Easton full metal jackets?
Posted By: passthru

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 01/31/14 05:23 PM

Killed a few spot and stalk, missed a few that way as well. Most are from the stand.
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 01/31/14 05:46 PM

Yep, over a feeder, sittin up in a tree, at night! GREAT fun!!!

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 01/31/14 05:48 PM

Love spot and stalk.. do it mostly on moon lit nights out in the open pastures... they are hitting cattle feeding areas right now hard.. especially hay fed areas

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 01/31/14 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Tree_fish
It sounds like it might be harder than I thought to stalk/still hunt em, is that the rest of you guys experience to? I'm new to hunting in general, can any of you recommend some good websites for learning about hog hunting? I've been reading a lot here and on archerytalk, but I would like to expand my resources.

@Dirtnap- thanks for that tip, can you recommend a good hog arrow? I've heard other mention the Easton full metal jackets?

Whatever you have leftover... I still shoot old aluminum arrows if I can find them cheap... with fixed blade heads
Posted By: Hogz

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/01/14 12:46 AM

I bowhunted them for years...now just drop them with the trusty 243 instead. I stand hunted and spot/stalked them. Had the best luck setting up in a tree stand near heavy trails over looking a pasture, and if I saw pigs come out rooting in the pasture, I'd get down and get the wind in my favor and put a stalk on em.
Posted By: Freeman

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/01/14 01:21 AM

Tripod 20 yards from a feeder and ground blind near a feeder. Too much brush where I hunt to stalk anything.

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/02/14 02:00 PM

Thanks for the tips and info fellas, greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Hogman23

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/02/14 06:12 PM

Where ya located?
Posted By: scooter85

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/03/14 01:07 AM

Yes sir with a good ole Matthews out of a tree stand. I did get a new toy for Christmas is called a bow mag might check em out. Can put a 357 bullet in place of a broad heads.

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/03/14 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogman23
Where ya located?

Odessa, and yourself?
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/03/14 03:46 PM

I usually have a 700+ grain aluminum arrow with a 3-blade on my quiver when I'm hunting in case I see a big boar. If you get a pass thru, you'll find him every time (with a good shot). I also keep a blunt point on my quiver in case I don't want to ruin my deer hunt looking for a nasty-arse boar. I wouldn't send any mechanical broadhead after a pig bigger than about 150 lbs. unless you just don't mind ruining/losing your gear.

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/03/14 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: scooter85
Yes sir with a good ole Matthews out of a tree stand. I did get a new toy for Christmas is called a bow mag might check em out. Can put a 357 bullet in place of a broad heads.

Those bow mags looks pretty wild, what do you think of them?
Posted By: Roby Outfitting

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/04/14 10:08 AM

Yup, always carry a arrow or two for hogs in my quiver. Stuck a few hogs so far since I've picked up a bow in 2011...
Posted By: Old Goat

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/07/14 02:16 PM

spot and stalk is fun but hard you really have to play the wind and be on your toes.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/07/14 03:03 PM

Most of my stalking is when I hear them from a distance. Popups and tripods are great over a feeder or water source.

FMJs have been pricey in the past. Last hog I shot ran off as I was thinking, there goes $35 dollars never to be seen again.
Posted By: 4K outdoors and taxidermy

Re: How many of you Bowhunt hogs? - 02/07/14 03:08 PM

Love to stalk hogs under the full moon, in the morning, or any other time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum