Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Knife

Posted By: Dave Scott

Hog Knife - 12/08/13 08:29 PM

I've been thinking about carrying a hog knife and if the opportunity arises (dogs have held good) forget the gun and use a knife.
Just how "quick and nimble" do you have to be? Where is the best place (behind elbow)? Wear leather forearm cuffs? The knife, a lot of guys seem to use a 7" blade. I would think a 10" would be better.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Hog Knife - 12/08/13 09:19 PM

Ask Monte. He uses a 3" blade.
Posted By: fonzie

Re: Hog Knife - 12/08/13 11:48 PM

I use a 6" buck knife and super deadly with it... Ask Monty, swamphunter, txsteve they'll all tell you I'll have a hog killed in a blink of an eye...
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: Hog Knife - 12/09/13 02:35 AM

Anything we shoot, we stick too just to make sure its not gonna get up.
***** You can read the rest of this if you want, but the most important thing........ YOUR KNIFE NEEDS TO BE SHARP and be able to PENETRATe
Not because we are sadistic, it just ensures that its dead. I have seen a 300 plus pound hog shot in the head with a 243 at 15 yards not die and then have to chase it into the brush, and that aint no fun.
My main knife...... I carry one of those cheap tanto knives like Cheaper Than dirt sells for $10. Its got about a 4, maybe 5 inch blade and the sheath is clip on so its easy to deal with. Its all metal and has a knurled handle.
As a spare... I have one of those buck fixed blades with about a 6" blade, but it has like a saw on the back and I'm not fond of that OR My big knife has about a 8" blade and an epoxy handle that is about 5" long. The epoxy is swelled at the front to keep your hand from slipping.
A couple of years ago, I picked up a really cheap AC duct board knife that I think is gonna work really well. Just found it in the toolbox a few months ago. I'm gonna back bevel both sides of the blade and cut the handle off and maybe do an epoxy handle on it too. Its kinda thin, but its double edged and high carbon (not stainless) and sharp as hell.

If you are shooting them first, then sticking them is a mechanical action, no more, no less. You don't need gauntlets or nothing, that's all Hollywood.
If you are running them with dogs, your instincts will take care of it or they won't. Go with some guys that have done it before so you don't get in a bind.
BK
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Hog Knife - 12/09/13 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Scott
The knife, a lot of guys seem to use a 7" blade. I would think a 10" would be better.

Knives of Alaska makes one for this purpose called -
Magnum Boar Hunter, it's 9-10" blade, long stiff blade
with a drop point, designed to pierce and dispatch,
it's long enough where you can cut the juglar if you so
desired for maximum blood letting

www.knivesofalaska.com
Posted By: Cast

Re: Hog Knife - 12/09/13 05:46 PM

A USMC Kabar fighting knife might be a good choice. Good penetrator and sharp on both sides of the blade at the tip.
Posted By: Tikka'd

Re: Hog Knife - 12/10/13 12:14 AM

ive used a lot of different knives on hogs and this one has hands down been the most lethal i have ever used. don't' buy it from this site you can get it at other online stores for half that price

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/39LSP/BOAR_HUNTER.aspx
Posted By: centxshooter

Re: Hog Knife - 12/10/13 02:20 AM

Cant tell you how important it is to have a knife just in case. I have been using the browning hog hunter for years and on a couple occasions had to use it. No problems ending the situation with all parts attached smile

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/knives/detail.asp?fid=113G&cid=322&tid=865
Posted By: falmike

Re: Hog Knife - 12/10/13 11:20 AM

Glock knife gets it done and does not cost very much.
Posted By: Wader

Re: Hog Knife - 12/10/13 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
A USMC Kabar fighting knife might be a good choice. Good penetrator and sharp on both sides of the blade at the tip.

+1
Posted By: pinkmist black hog down

Re: Hog Knife - 12/13/13 05:08 PM

I need a knife
Posted By: target1911

Re: Hog Knife - 12/14/13 03:14 AM

I have yet to get it bloody but that is the main purpose of this one
Made by MikeC
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum