Texas Hunting Forum

coyote pups

Posted By: Christian O

coyote pups - 02/19/13 05:43 AM

Has anyone ever raised one or trapped one what kind of a pet would they make? With another dog and bottle raising the pup i think it would turn out to be a good "dog" what are your opinions?
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 05:50 AM

I could be wrong, but Im pretty sure its illegal. Its always gonna be wild, regardless of bottle feeding and hand rearing it. I dont think itd work, or is a good idea

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 07:01 AM

i think it would be cool if you could make it work i mean how many people do you know that have a coyote for a dog?
Posted By: 4OYOTER

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 07:21 AM

http://youtu.be/HcQDZWHrGTU
Posted By: splash556

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 09:15 AM

i've heard of people doing it but never heard the long term stories. I can think of several reasons not to do it. I'm guessing it might get shot if it ever got away from the person who raises it as it may try and approach other people. Also not sure how other Coyotes would react to a "tame" one. Try and kill it maybe?
Posted By: Ryan81

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 03:28 PM

I would think it's possible. People raise the wolf/dog hybrids all the time as pets.
Posted By: RanchoStarvo

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 03:43 PM

Sounds like a science experiment that could end up in the death of someones dog, or even worse, small children and babies.

Shoot on site... well I say that but I doubt I cold unload buckshot into a pile of coyote puppies, and that's probably one of the biggest reasons coyotes get away with so much crap. It's hard to separate the two in your mind if one hasn't killed your livestock or snatched one of your dogs out of the front yard, or worse..

I bet 99% of the non hunting urban population would have problems with people shooting coyotes just out of ignorance.

Pigs on the other hand.....
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 04:20 PM

Texas

Category: L

Summary of Law: No person may possess a dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a license (certificate of registration). Dangerous wild animals are defined as lions, tigers, ocelots, cougars, leopards, cheetahs, jaguars, bobcats, lynxes, servals, caracals, hyenas, bears, coyotes, jackals, baboons, chimpanzees, orangutans, gorillas, or any hybrids of the animals listed. However, there are no requirements for a person possessing all other animal not listed above, such as monkeys, wolves etc.

Citation: TEX. HEALTH & SAFETY CODE ANN. § 822.101-116; TEX. LOC. GOV'T CODE ANN. § 240.002(a) and § 240.0025
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 04:24 PM

Interesting.

http://www.dailycoyote.net/
Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 04:35 PM

I used to catch them on the farm. Pull the tractor between their den and where they are playing. Guessing they were 5-6 weeks old. Normally covered in fleas. Take them home, give them a flea dip. They were normally mean little dudes and very scared. After a day or two, would take them back to their den and shoot em when they grow up.
Posted By: East

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Pretty cool
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Christian O
Has anyone ever raised one or trapped one what kind of a pet would they make? With another dog and bottle raising the pup i think it would turn out to be a good "dog" what are your opinions?

Talk to people that have raised coydogs.

They're different in the head than dogs. Coyotes don't have the same rigid authority structure that wolves have, there can be many breeding pairs in a pack and the alpha pair can change several times in a year. They don't necessarily accept their station as subordinate to you for life like a dog will and they haven't had "prison rules fighting" bred out of them like dogs have. A coyote pup would probably make a fine pet for a gruff, half-crazy mountain man living by himself in a cabin in the woods because he's too ugly for women and children.

EDIT: ...OR for a hippy that wouldn't ask his or her dogs to be subordinate anyway.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Texas

Category: L

Summary of Law: No person may possess a dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a license (certificate of registration). Dangerous wild animals are defined as lions, tigers, ocelots, cougars, leopards, cheetahs, jaguars, bobcats, lynxes, servals, caracals, hyenas, bears, coyotes, jackals, baboons, chimpanzees, orangutans, gorillas, or any hybrids of the animals listed. However, there are no requirements for a person possessing all other animal not listed above, such as monkeys, wolves etc.

Citation: TEX. HEALTH & SAFETY CODE ANN. § 822.101-116; TEX. LOC. GOV'T CODE ANN. § 240.002(a) and § 240.0025

LOL, so who filled out the paperwork to possess Big Orn?
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 06:51 PM

duh, that's easy... Mrs. Big Orn did
Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Christian O

most definitely not. Coyotes are nothing like domestic dogs. As soon as it reaches majurity it would revert to its wild heritage and could become dangerous to you.
Posted By: Big Orn

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
LOL, so who filled out the paperwork to possess Big Orn?
Originally Posted By: talkturkey
duh, that's easy... Mrs. Big Orn did

And the rest is history... wife
Posted By: Mike Savoy

Re: coyote pups - 02/19/13 09:47 PM

Counties are responsible for dangerous animal laws. Llano county has no permit system in place.

Pretty best video. Some of my cur dogs have the submissive coyote demeanor.
Posted By: don k

Re: coyote pups - 02/20/13 12:30 AM

I raised one when I was a kid. It never got what you would call tame. You could not pet it or handle it. We ketpt it in the back yard on a long chain where he could move around. We had a renter in a house about 200 yds. from where we lived. They had a small dog that would come and harass the coyote. One day the coyote got loose and went to the renters house and killed the dog that had been harassing him then came back and layed down by his chain. We got rid of him after that. I tried to raise a lot of different animals when I was a kid. That coyote and a javalina were about the only 2 that would not get tame. That was over 50 years ago and now you can't do what we did then.Too bad.
Posted By: bowassin

Re: coyote pups - 02/20/13 01:33 AM

Knew a guy that raised 2 bobcats they were semi tame
They loved to play and play rough
They were really attached to him... When he would leave the house they would destroy everything... They were pretty cool to play with and watch them play together
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: coyote pups - 02/20/13 02:01 AM

I grew up in South Texas in the 50's in the country; many of us had odd ball pets and they were fine. I've had a fawn ( let him go when he started growing antlers) a Bobcat, a coyote, and my cousin had a javalina (he made a heck of guard dog). If you get them early enough you can tame anything, but there will always be some of the wild traits in them. I'd do it if I lived in the country again.
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: coyote pups - 02/20/13 03:50 AM

I caught a bobcat kitten when i was inhigh school. It bit the crap out of me and i flung it. Wish I would have found a way to raise it.
Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: coyote pups - 02/20/13 03:52 AM

lmao^^^
Posted By: smh264

Re: coyote pups - 02/20/13 04:47 AM

We got a baby coyote one time that was probably just a week or so old and bottle fed him many times each day. As he got a few weeks older he started showing signs of aggresion. By the time he was two months old you couldn't get any where near him although we had been petting him for weeks before. He is now mounted in a little game museum in Wyoming. I've known numerous people try to raise one and make a pet of it and all them have had the same results. Don't think it can be done. They get really vicious in a very short period and even try to bite the hand that feeds them.

Re: coyote pups - 02/20/13 03:03 PM

Yea my dad has told me stories of how they would get magazines where you could literally buy anything from a monkey to a mountain lion you could get it as a pet!
Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: coyote pups - 02/20/13 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski
I grew up in South Texas in the 50's in the country; many of us had odd ball pets and they were fine. I've had a fawn ( let him go when he started growing antlers) a Bobcat, a coyote, and my cousin had a javalina (he made a heck of guard dog). If you get them early enough you can tame anything, but there will always be some of the wild traits in them. I'd do it if I lived in the country again.

Feral piglets caught in a trap apparently tame very readily. They will housebreak, eat dogfood, jump up onto the tailgate when you "gittemup" and then sleep in a pile with your dogs at the end of the day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum