Texas Hunting Forum

Best Hog Attractant?

Posted By: creflo

Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 01:46 AM

What do you guys think the best hog attractant is? Any homemade attractants which have proven very effective?
Posted By: M Bennet

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 02:28 AM

sow in heat,
Posted By: sillyhorses

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 03:05 AM

Sour mash corn. Nice 'n nasty smelling!
Posted By: Believer

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: M Bennet
sow in heat,

X2 nothing beats a sow in heat
Posted By: East

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Believer
sow in heat,

X2 nothing beats a sow in heat

I have only been able to find one place that actually carries it.
Posted By: Roondoggydog

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 03:23 AM

Rasberry jello and deer corn Pile up the corn and sprinkle the cheap jello powder on I usually use two bags of jello put a little water on some of the powde and let a little blow in the wind I have had hogs in my traps in less than 30 min with this If you have time to sour some corn it works great too I usually mix diesel fuel into into it to keep all the other critters from getting to it first !! Good luck
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 04:10 AM

++ on the raspberry jello and corn
Posted By: remman

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 12:49 PM

I have mixed strawberry jello in corn and had great success. While I have never done it, I heard the diesel and corn is great to keep the turkey and coons out of it.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 01:12 PM

Just plain ole corn!!
They'll eat that.
I've seen'em do it!!! grin

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 01:25 PM

On another mote, I have tried the sow in heat (in the bottle)(Code Blue brand) and when a single boar came in and got a whiff of it, he didn't stick around. Little while later, a group came in of sows and pigs. They took off as well. Never used it since.
Had some hunters dump old doughnuts under the feeder. Said hogs LOVE them. I said "Really!!! Don't believe my hogs ever had a doughnut"!!! No hogs were seen that weekend and it took them about 3 days to come back to the feeders. 2 weeks later, I still had mashed up doughnuts under the feeders.
Had hunters bring out their own concoctions of sour corn. Dumped a bucket under the feeders and it took the hogs 3 days before they would come to the feeder, even though they been coming in everyday before that. But the next weekend group of hunters would tear them up, thanks to the group before them.
Yep, just plain ole corn will do for me.
Posted By: ILikeRugers2

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 07:06 PM

A deer feeder running year round...
Posted By: Phil Rooney

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 09:27 PM

Save your expired food from the fridge and mix that up with corn. Also a cheap alternative to store bought attractant is just raspberry jellow packets and a soda from your cooler. make a small hole with your foot and pour that in there. i like to sprinkle the powder from my blind to test wind and add more scent to the area.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 09:32 PM

Fruit. Apples, bananas, oranges. Rotten fruit is even better.
Posted By: predator-solutions

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/10/13 11:17 PM

Corn. 2 million Texas hogs can't be wrong
Posted By: TXHogger

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/11/13 01:06 AM

Corn. Don't waste your money on the other crap. I watched a sounder of hogs step over a baited spot to get to corn and never touched the other crap
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/11/13 01:28 AM

Corn.
My own experiments:
I fed the road on one side with the jello corn, one side with just plain old corn.
Pigs came to the corn side.
I did it again with some that had soaked in beer for a week; same result.
I threw a handful of apples under the feeder, they dried there.

At least we got a big buck with a mouthful of jello corn while the pigs where eating at the plain corn.
Posted By: IHateFeralPigs

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/11/13 02:19 AM

creosote treated wood posts will attract pigs very well...they just LOVE to rub on them
Posted By: senko86

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/11/13 02:27 AM

sow in heat,
sprinkled on some corn
Posted By: DHfam

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/11/13 02:46 AM

Apples on the boot
Posted By: passthru

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/11/13 02:59 AM

Corn. Didn't know if you heard that enough yet.
Posted By: TexasOutfitters

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/11/13 07:42 PM

Saw Pigman episode where they baited with Acorn Crush and berries. Of course I'm sure he's sponsored by Acorn Crush. Use corn myself.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/11/13 11:47 PM

Yeah, Pigman does some amazing endorsements about "attractants" that are usually placed where he has been feeding game (bait stations/feeders) for a while already.

I think a lot of people confuse "attractants" with "things hogs like."

I haven't seen any product per se that I can say is an actual attractant. I have seen hogs come to food and will come to a feed location even when no food is there, such as after the feeder has run out...so I guess the air was an attractant or they were just coming to a known location for a resource.

Corn works best that once found they will return time and time again, unless you have acorns or pecans. However, for the money, time, expense, and effort, you can't beat just plain corn. And like some of the others, I have tried various products and secret forumulas, etc. No reason you should waste your time and money like I did.
Posted By: remman

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/12/13 03:48 AM

You can also try the post hole trick. Dig a post hole about 30" or so deep, fill it with corn til about 6" from the top. The hogs will not leave until they have dug it up completely. Therefore try to do it in tight ground versus soft soil.
Posted By: Franklin517

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/12/13 01:11 PM

Just plain corn works for me
Posted By: creflo

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/12/13 11:06 PM

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I've obviously used corn with results, was just wondering what other bait and methods have worked really well. Lot's of good tips here and much appreciated.

I did use pears in the past and they just set there and rotted/dried up. I was thinking for sure the hogs would have gotten them quick, especially since it was a historical batited corn site.

Thanks again
Posted By: centexrancher

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/13/13 02:11 AM

Plain old corn works for me. Keep a feeder running year round. I also had good luck dumping out some moldy cow feed. I poured out 4 50 pound sacks and the hogs ate it all the first night.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/13/13 02:51 AM

rotten corn

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/13/13 03:08 PM

The only thing I've seen work over nite was Hog Wild. I use this just to "juice" up the feeders or if I want to spot and stalk, I will dig a bunch of holes down at the river on the top of the sand bar, pour in corn and top it off with the Hog Wild then cover it up.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/15/13 12:18 AM

I have 18 telephone poles that the COOP left after doing power lines. I was told to leave them and I would have hogs by the hundreds. I put a trail cam on them as well as the one at my feeder. I have a bunch at the feeder and only squirrels and the neighbors cat at the poles. I continued pictures for 6 months. Not one pig.
Posted By: Derek717

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/17/13 05:04 PM

Good info! We use molasses and corn. Seems to work pretty good!
Posted By: World Predator Hog Expo

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/17/13 09:31 PM

Put cracked corn in 5 Gal bucket fill with 2 gallons of buttermilk and let sit in sun for 1 week. Then Watch Out!
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/17/13 09:36 PM

1.pig out
2.beast feast
3.well manicured landscaped yard
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/17/13 09:39 PM

corn....just regular corn....

if you wana have fun with it put a bag in a bucket fill it with water then once it soaks the water in put a few old beers if you got any layin around....bout the only thing i found good about a heinikan stir it up and let it sit in the sun for a while....powderd jello works well too. i only steer away from regular corn when they start gettin trap smart though..its realy not worth the effort
Posted By: KyleFC

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/17/13 10:06 PM

I have had good lick using Hog Wild and corn. Digging a post hole about 2 feet deep and mixing the corn with hog wild and they will tear that spot up! Also had some Jack and Coke left in our side x side that got dirt in it. I poured it out and the next day the hogs tore that spot up as well.
Posted By: NathanN

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/18/13 01:42 AM

Corn.

Soured corn does work well as a scent attractant but I think they generally prefer fresh corn. If you hang a (covered, with a few small holes in the top) 5 gallon bucket of soured corn near a trail, they'll often come to visit it.

The pic is a testament to the post-hole method. It works, after they find it.
Posted By: BowfishNinja

Re: Best Hog Attractant? - 01/19/13 01:13 AM

Corn soaked in diesel!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum