Texas Hunting Forum

What is the best .223 Hog killing round ?

Posted By: P1DTAY

What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/01/12 05:10 AM

Looking for kill pics or load data from anyone that has a "hog-only" load that they use in .223 or 5.56! Thanks guys!

Posted By: Mason

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/01/12 05:33 AM

That 35gr hornady varmint round worked pretty well on a 300lb boar, vitals shot ~175yds from a 16" AR. Grenaded and literally liquified the heart. If I hadn't been in such a hurry to gut him I woulda taken a picture. All I've tried so far, I usually use the FAL...

-Mase

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/01/12 05:41 AM

Thanks Mason. That's a great shot @175 what time of day?

Posted By: bigtex46

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/01/12 11:36 AM

I shoot them with the 75 gr bthp match bullets by hornady. They get the job done every time.

Posted By: Vern1

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/01/12 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: bigtex46
I shoot them with the 75 gr bthp match bullets by hornady. They get the job done every time.

Yeah, what he said....
Just shoot some at the bench to see if your barrel will stabalize them.
I had a 1/9 twist in a 16" and it would only shoot up to 69 grain OTMBT bullets but it shot them well.
75 grains went everywhere...

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/01/12 03:22 PM

Thanks guys

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/01/12 03:49 PM

What shoots well in one gun doesn't always shoot well in the next. Try several and pick the one that runs in your weapon best.

Posted By: Mason

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/01/12 04:06 PM

^what he said. My buddy shot him while I was doing spotter work for him. Offhand at about 10pm. He is a killer shot, he dropped right where he stood, although I am sure there are nastier bullets out there.

Posted By: Ryan F.

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/01/12 07:41 PM

I have been told the 75 grain hornady HPBT should be great up to about 300 yards. I have been loading them in my AR for accuracy loads. I'm just under MOA with them at 100 yards.

Winchester Brass
CCI 400 primer
24gr reloder-15
COAL-2.250
75gr Hornady Match Hollow Point Boat Tail

Posted By: BearWolf

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/04/12 03:31 AM

I've had good luck with the following,

Win brass
Rem 7 1/2
24.5gr ramshot tac
65gr Sierra gameking btsp

Super accurate and rolls them with plenty of punch. Quarter to half dollar size holes. Drops them just as quick as my 308 but without the huge holes and mess. smile

Posted By: Stormy Weather

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/04/12 05:30 AM

And yet some folks say a .223 is too small for Texas whitetail deer.

Posted By: artrios60

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/04/12 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: bigtex46

I shoot the 75gr. in my 20" RRA bull and the Hornady 53gr. Superformance Vmax in my 16"
I have had success with both on hogs and deer out to 300+

Posted By: Ryan F.

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/04/12 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Stormy Weather
Most people who say things like that have never even tried to shoot a whitetail with a .223.

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/04/12 08:10 PM

Federal Fusion 62 Grain is what my daughter and I use. She has killed a bunch of hogs and several larger animals with this round.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/915179/...-tail-box-of-20

Posted By: passthru

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/04/12 08:37 PM

I've killed pigs and deer with this one.
www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-279

Posted By: Ttomlinson87

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/06/12 03:22 AM

Hornady 55gr Z Max

Posted By: ryguy23

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/07/12 01:23 AM

64 gr BVAC bonded core, 3000 FPS and only $10 per 20 rounds!

Posted By: john g.

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/07/12 02:04 PM

62gr Silver Bear from CTD.

Posted By: Clint Mo'

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/10/12 08:11 PM

Tula 62 gr hollow points are all I use for hogs. Good and cheap

Posted By: pigplinker

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/11/12 02:41 AM

Cheap ball ammo. If you put the round in the sweet spot it will work. I've shot them at 150 down to 15yds some run a little ways and some just drop.

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/11/12 03:47 PM

ANY .223 behind the ear banana banana

Posted By: 6.8HogHunter

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/12/12 03:09 PM

Any 68-77gr HP will get it done.

The 55 gr barnes TsX should do it too.

Posted By: vanguard

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/13/12 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Ryan F.
Most people who say things like that have never even tried to shoot a whitetail with a .223.

for body shots it is too small, sure its dead somewhere, but where, get a good flashlight and plan on being on your knees for a while.
I know firsthand. neck or head shots its awsome

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/13/12 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: 6.8HogHunter
Any 68-77gr HP will get it done.

The 55 gr barnes TsX should do it too.

Huge fan of the tsx, but the 53 tsx should be used in the higher velocity 22-250. IMO

I don't think the 223 has enough velocity for them..

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/13/12 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: vanguard

for body shots it is too small, sure its dead somewhere, but where, get a good flashlight and plan on being on your knees for a while.

I have killed quite a few deer with .223 and Remington 55 grain PSP. Shot everyone highpoint of the shoulder. Most dead in tracks, miss a bit and they die not to far away.(50 yds or less)

Posted By: vanguard

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/13/12 10:00 PM

ya well high shoulder is a spine shot , we took an axis doe behind the shoulder tiny entrance tiny exit deer went a 100 yds and was a nightmare to find. was it dead, prolly pretty quickly but no blood to track

Posted By: djones

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/14/12 01:58 PM

"What is the best .223 Hog killing round?"

Is this a zen riddle?

Posted By: mandril

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/15/12 02:43 AM

the one that hits the hog?

Posted By: Daryl Licht

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/18/12 01:53 PM

I've tried most all bullet weights and makers on our ranch in Texas and the best out of my weapons are the 62 grain steel penetrators from lake city. They easily penetrate the gristle shield covering and then start to tumble. They truly make a mess of a hogs insides. Also, they are accurate enough for a behind the ear shot. I average killing 20 a month and most any do a fine job if the hog is hit in the neck but that only happens on the first shot the rest are hit in various places while they are running away. In my opinion if they are good enough for our young men and women to use on terrorists they are good enough to use on Texas hogs

Posted By: Ackley_improved

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/21/12 01:51 PM

75gr Amax or 75gr SS2. Those bullets hammer.

Posted By: Tac-NV hog hunt guide

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/23/12 04:12 PM

Best bullets I have found for hogs is Barns TSX. They are a very tough bullet, will not disintegrate on the shoulder, will petal out into 4 sharp petals and cut a good wound channel. Winchester is now loading a similar bullet marketed as the "Razorback". I have killed many hogs with the Barns... and they did not have to be head shots..... most were shots to the body on a running hog. But as some others have already explained, if a head shot is made, pretty much any bullet will get the job done, but after the first pig goes down, the rest in the group are running and head shots are not always possible. Shooting a hog in the rear as it is running away is not very effective if you are using a fragile bullet such as a V-max or other fragile varmint round. But using the Barns, I have been able to kill as many as 9 hogs out of a running group of hogs. The Barns will usually penetrate to the vitals leaving a good wound channel.
Full metal jacket bullets and penetrator rounds just punch nice smooth holes with body shots.... the hog will most likely die, but in the next county. WE have also skinned hogs out and found remnants of old V-max bullets about 2 inches under the hide... they just do not penetrate well, They are not designed for tough animals, soft targets only like coyotes etc. Sorry if this is redundant info to many.

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/23/12 06:07 PM

Thanks Tac

Posted By: rubsal70

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/26/12 12:30 AM

what about this round? .223 Rem Winchester Razorback XT 64 Grain Hollow Point Lead Free 3020 fps

Posted By: sbvx67

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/26/12 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
I've killed pigs and deer with this one.
www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-279

My 16 inch 1in7 twist YHM loves these!

Posted By: Texifornia

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/26/12 04:16 PM

Which ever one groups best out of your rifle IMO.

Posted By: TonyLama

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/26/12 10:00 PM

I have been using hornady 75 grain match ammo works well on them
Posted By: Chuckybrown

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/27/12 12:05 AM

What round is the BEST .223 round for hunting hogs is one question.

Whether the vast majority of hunters SHOULD be hunting hogs with .223 is another....

We're going to disallow them for our paid hunters starting in 2013. Too many guys bailing out of suburbans dressed in all black brandishing AR's shooting multiple hogs they're unable to lcoate...

If you're a helluva shot....go for it. But for the average weekend warrior....nope.

My .02 cents. Don't hate me for it.
Posted By: rubsal70

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/28/12 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuckybrown
What round is the BEST .223 round for hunting hogs is one question.

Whether the vast majority of hunters SHOULD be hunting hogs with .223 is another....

We're going to disallow them for our paid hunters starting in 2013. Too many guys bailing out of suburbans dressed in all black brandishing AR's shooting multiple hogs they're unable to lcoate...

If you're a helluva shot....go for it. But for the average weekend warrior....nope.

My .02 cents. Don't hate me for it.

What about an AR with a 6.8?
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/29/12 09:07 PM

At Heart Of Texas Guided Hunts, our clients bring out all types of guns and all types of rounds.

In the .223 realm, you have to be a great shot. We recommend only shoting hogs in the head with any .223 round as our "he ran that way" investigations have shown a ZERO hog dead within 100 yards when body shot with a .223. Of the hunters that shot the hogs in the head/neck, we have a 95% DRT (Dead Right There) result.

Of the .223 rounds, the 55gr is the most popular round by far. The Hornady TAP round in 55gr seems to do as well as the FMJ round. However the FMJ seems to exit the head/neck more often that the TAP round. Both those rounds are 55gr traveling at 3240 fps. The TAP round seems to expand slightly more quickly and therefore exerting slightly better transfer of force to the animal prior to exiting.

Due to the variety of hunters and their skills, we recommend using a bigger round, but in skilled capable hands, the .223 does produce dead hogs, even hogs at over 250 pounds when head shot is achieved.
Posted By: one73maro

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/29/12 11:01 PM

60 gr Nosler Partition bullets have worked really well for me. That was for both deer and hogs.
Posted By: Daryl Licht

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/30/12 02:47 PM

I prefer to have them run off into the next county and die...leaves less mess to clean up. If helicopters worked in the hill country I'd buy one.
Posted By: unlearned69

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/30/12 11:46 PM

If you shoot them in between the eyes or in the ear, it doesn't particularly matter what type of bullet. My dad uses ballsitic tip 45 grain .223 and they do fine. I've shot them with 69 grain match BTHP and it works as well.
Posted By: trahansax

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 08/31/12 08:10 AM

Lots of good stuff here
Posted By: bm_txhunter

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 09/07/12 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: vanguard

I have killed quite a few deer with .223 and Remington 55 grain PSP. Shot everyone highpoint of the shoulder. Most dead in tracks, miss a bit and they die not to far away.(50 yds or less)

3 deer, 12 seconds. All shot in the high point of their shoulder. All dropped dead in their tracks. I'd say the .223 gets the job done.
Posted By: Hard_ware

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 09/12/12 01:08 AM

Barnes TSX 53gr 3100fps handloads have worked for me, all so far DRT. 100% all copper grin
Posted By: Bearclaw

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 09/13/12 01:06 AM

The Best bullet is a Good shot.
Posted By: Bluesea112

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 09/18/12 07:09 PM

Asking what .223 cartridge is best for hogs is like asking what size pellet gun is best for deer hunting. Will a .223 kill a hog? yes. Is it more likely to just wound the animal? Absolutely.

If you are going to hog hunt, then use a caliber that will bring a clean and humane kill. Hogs may be a nuicance and very ugly, but that doesn't mean you can leave your hunter ethics at the door.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 09/18/12 07:14 PM

Taliban soldier??
Posted By: Redneck Messiah

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 09/19/12 12:51 AM

I use wolf or tulia 55 grain fmj, never have lost one, most of my shots are 100 yrds or less, furtherest I have had one go is about 75 yrds, most no more than 30 yrds if not drt,

In my opinion fmj is better than soft point on hogs just because of penetration.

some people on here will argue with hunting with anything under a 300 win mag, dont understand why.. that being said, dont shoot one in the back leg with a .223 and expect it to drop
Posted By: DocJatTTU

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 09/19/12 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Bluesea112
Asking what .223 cartridge is best for hogs is like asking what size pellet gun is best for deer hunting. Will a .223 kill a hog? yes. Is it more likely to just wound the animal? Absolutely.

If you are going to hog hunt, then use a caliber that will bring a clean and humane kill. Hogs may be a nuicance and very ugly, but that doesn't mean you can leave your hunter ethics at the door.

You bring up a good point. Too many shoot to wound instead of shoot to kill

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 10/17/12 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Bluesea112

I will never leave hunter ethics at the door, and you are acting ignorant for ever accusing anyone on this forum for doing that. Having said that...I have helped friends track bow-shot deer for hundreds of yards, over several hours of time, gone back to camp to get some shut eye, woke up before dawn and continued to search for said deer. We have found deer 48 Hrs after they were shot with a bow STILL BREATHING. So why in the world would you feel it necessary to tell me to use a larger caliber on pigs?? I ALWAYS go for the most humane kill on any animal I EVER Shoot. All I asked was what people have had the best luck with .223 in their travels. Also by travels I mean the thousands of hunters that shoot pigs with .223.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 10/17/12 02:46 PM

60 grain nosler partitions over benchmark for me, never had a problem killing deer or hogs of any size with it body or head shot.

Re: What is the best .223 Hog killing round ? - 10/17/12 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
60 grain nosler partitions over benchmark for me, never had a problem killing deer or hogs of any size with it body or head shot.

I've heard good things about that round redchevy
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum