Texas Hunting Forum

Red or green to see coyotes?

Posted By: tejaschaos

Red or green to see coyotes? - 12/31/10 12:10 AM

I'm pretty set on buying a Kill light XLR 250. I've been searching the internet for pros/ cons on the red vs. green lights. Most of the people say red, "just because it's what I've always used". I have read that green is easier for the human eye to pick up. Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad, about red vs. green lights on coyotes/ other predators?

Posted By: passthru

Re: Red or green to see coyotes? - 12/31/10 02:50 AM

I have two lights, red and green. I like the green better for predators and it spooks deer less as well. The green give me personally better resolution. Have yet to try it on pigs.

Posted By: JoSkeeter

Re: Red or green to see coyotes? - 12/31/10 03:13 AM

Does that light not spook them?

Posted By: DRT Wildlife Studio

Re: Red or green to see coyotes? - 12/31/10 03:24 AM

we use a white light and we call them into about 10 to 15 yards, dont believe the myths that red and green lights are the only thing that work check out our demo video at www.ultimatepredatortv.com

Posted By: Reality Outdoors

Re: Red or green to see coyotes? - 12/31/10 03:47 AM

how bright of a white light do you use?

Posted By: passthru

Re: Red or green to see coyotes? - 12/31/10 05:38 AM

Hasn't yet but the red one makes deer a little spooky and the green doesn't seem to.

Posted By: UltimatePredator

Re: Red or green to see coyotes? - 12/31/10 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Reality Outdoors
how bright of a white light do you use?

The light we use is about 5 million candelpower. Works pretty well with a dimmer without any filter.

Posted By: blancobuster

Re: Red or green to see coyotes? - 01/01/11 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: DRT Wildlife Studio
we use a white light and we call them into about 10 to 15 yards, dont believe the myths that red and green lights are the only thing that work check out our demo video at www.ultimatepredatortv.com

thats awesome footage, cool pic of a black coyote too!

Posted By: Jeff Thomason

Re: Red or green to see coyotes? - 01/01/11 04:55 AM

Like DRT said, I prefer the white light. Lots of reasons...You can see farther, shoot better, and much easier to identify your target. We have hundreds of kills on video with a white light, including a bunch with bows and crossbows. But if it were between only those 2, I would go with green. Good Luck!

Posted By: amcalister

Re: Red or green to see coyotes? - 01/02/11 03:49 PM

DRT I guess I may be using my white light wrong...I have had yotes hang up out to 200 yards and holding a red light on them they are fine but as soon as I take the red cover off and hit them with the white light they start leaving the county. What kind of dimmer do you use and am I doing something else wrong with the white light?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum