Texas Hunting Forum

Just amazed

Posted By: Chet

Just amazed - 07/17/23 08:59 PM

I have seven 11 week old pups in the back yard and the worst day was 106 I believe. They have a 90% shade screen covering the pens but 106 is 106. I go out every 2 to 2 1/2 hours and spray down the pens and freshen their water pales and add some to the water troughs I have in each pen.

So here's what amazes me, They come out and dance at the gate wanting petting and when I'm done they start to eat 100+ or not. They don't finish the morning feeding sometimes, sometimes eat it all, same with the evening meal. These guys put up with multiple 100 + days eat reasonably well and want to play. I tried a mist system that turned out to be trash, and set a sprinkler in the back of the pens which kept the runs wet and cool, they weren't impressed and I quit that. Most will get in the water troughs but not all. Pups are tough as nails and can put up with about anything with good shade and fresh water. I love this bunch.

104 degree day last week
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Just amazed - 07/17/23 10:38 PM

They’ll be good, tough Texas bird dogs.
Posted By: reprobate

Re: Just amazed - 07/18/23 02:36 PM

I would get a big fan , hang it up high on one end. they will thank you.

Re: Just amazed - 07/18/23 09:44 PM

Wood but have 10-15 mph wind doing the same thing I think. 108 today and as I left the pens a while ago they were playing grab [censored] and eating some food. I'm trying to get my tired butt back up to the house. Tough litter buggers. Next pens will be closer to the back door.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Just amazed - 07/20/23 09:52 PM

I’ve got fans over my kennels —seems to help a lot. Also, water tubs. I’m in the valley it has been consistently @ about 100 and very humid. On a related note i inadvertently placed my recall trap in a spot that lost the shade and killed two birds — I estimate they were in the trap less than two hours. I now
Understand why good loafing cover is important.
Posted By: Stick 711

Re: Just amazed - 07/21/23 03:07 AM

Chet, already told ya that’s a 100% breeding. Those pups will be awesome.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Just amazed - 07/21/23 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by reprobate
I would get a big fan , hang it up high on one end. they will thank you.
just pushing more hot air at them, you sit there and see what I mean, Chet is doing the right thing, the only other thing I would do is offer a kiddy pool, most likely they would indulge but won't know till tried, my dogs loved it.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Just amazed - 08/12/23 01:44 AM

Dogs are amazingly tough and resilient.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Just amazed - 08/12/23 03:07 PM

When I was raising pup at about 3 months old they really enjoyed a can of bud light about 3 in the afternoon

Re: Just amazed - 08/16/23 05:42 PM

Each pen has a large water trough, some drink out of it and most jump in and out of them..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kindall

Re: Just amazed - 08/18/23 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chet

Each pen has a large water trough, some drink out of it and most jump in and out of them..

[Linked Image]

That is one gorgeous puppy

Re: Just amazed - 08/20/23 12:35 AM

I'm partial to all of em wink

The Blues Brothers (Spanky and Johnny)
[Linked Image]

Ringo
[Linked Image]

Flash
[Linked Image]

Whitey
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Just amazed - 08/20/23 01:06 AM

Heck of a litter!

Re: Just amazed - 08/20/23 02:17 AM

Thanks Bobby they’re getting real big and a hand full but going to hang on to them till after bird season and praying we have a decent crop. Got five at home and they have been a ball to raise. Have two in La. and both doing great.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Just amazed - 08/20/23 11:25 PM

That is my favorite time in a dog's life when they are pups! Enjoy!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Just amazed - 08/20/23 11:48 PM

I like Spanky! Hope he makes a good one.
Posted By: rioman42

Re: Just amazed - 08/23/23 08:49 PM

RINGO LOOKS LIKE A CULL TO ME.
ILL DO YOU A FAVOR AND TAKE HIM OFF YOUR HANDS!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum