quail forecast

Posted By: tigger

quail forecast - 09/09/18 11:36 PM

http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/538021/26ab9ac3bb/ARCHIVE

Gloom and doom
but facts appear to be very accurate.
Posted By: nate33

Re: quail forecast - 09/10/18 01:25 AM

Depressing, but tigger you get a 10 for a terrific post.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: quail forecast - 09/10/18 01:48 PM

Have yet to see a single chick..... very odd. It’s been dryer than this and I’ve seen a hatch but not this year.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: quail forecast - 09/10/18 02:04 PM

Will be the first year since 04 that I don't have a lease. I have a buddy that's on 2 leases and has family land near Midland that I can go with but if it's real bad I'll just go on a couple of pen raised hunts and hopefully get to go on my annual Noodle, TX hunt (they've had some summer rain) and call it a season. I plan to do alot more fall Crappie fishing this year.
Posted By: Timn

Re: quail forecast - 09/10/18 03:31 PM

I didn't get on a lease this year, I was worried about the lack of rain. I will be hunting Kansas appears to be more birds.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: quail forecast - 09/10/18 05:16 PM

Busted a covey of like 20 birds or more last night hog hunting in Clay County.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: quail forecast - 09/10/18 06:14 PM

Ouch. That doesn't look too good....
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: quail forecast - 09/10/18 11:06 PM

I think I would hook up with NSTRA again if I had a competitive dog and they had more trials in my area. I'm about done.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: quail forecast - 09/11/18 11:26 AM

Thinking of hitting Kansas twice this year and maybe doing my trip down south to Raymondville this year again (think they will have a nice late hatch), not hearing of anything that feels solid in the Rolling Plains. Sure sucks when you've got a young dog to suffer through a two or three year bust cycle again.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: quail forecast - 09/11/18 03:03 PM

Years like this are the perfect excuse to go exploring and take one of the bucket list trips you've kicked around in your mind. Thanks for a great post, as bleak as it is.
Posted By: nak

Re: quail forecast - 09/12/18 01:46 AM

confused2

Looks like the dogs are going to have to learn to like pen raised birds
Posted By: usmc826

Re: quail forecast - 09/12/18 07:09 AM

Not looking good for my dogs first real season.
Posted By: therancher

Re: quail forecast - 09/12/18 02:11 PM

Big Lake blues will have a good late hatch and I believe south Texas might as well. Won't be a banner year, but an average year at Big Lake is better than most other averages.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: quail forecast - 09/14/18 06:19 PM

It's been headed this way for two years.
Could be heading into another drought.

One place we hunt says that it looks better than last year. I am suspect.

I do have a pup to train so it could be pen raised at the farm almost exclusively.

Posted By: Flashprism

Re: quail forecast - 09/16/18 12:42 AM

Just back from my place in Dickens county. Looks green but as noted little or no rain until April. Rain gauge has 2.5 inches since mid July. Heard no birds calling and only flushed one covey of 6 birds. Wasn't searching just working feeders. Looks like a trip to my daughters in KS for opening pheasant is in order. My 15 month old spin is ready and I must find birds
Posted By: ckat

Re: quail forecast - 09/19/18 10:49 PM

I saw my first chicks today, right here at the house. About 14 of them - old enough to fly. I have no idea how I have not seen them before today...
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: quail forecast - 10/05/18 10:18 AM

I haven't seen a single bird in the last 4 weeks.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: quail forecast - 10/05/18 01:21 PM

Had a covey of about 8 walk by my deer stand Tuesday afternoon.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum