Texas Hunting Forum

Meet the Gambel's Quail

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Meet the Gambel's Quail - 03/16/18 09:58 PM

Written by Abigail Holmes, Texas A&M University WFSC ‘19
Edited by Dr. Dale Rollins, Statewide Coordinator, Reversing the Quail Decline Initiative
Edited by Amanda Gobeli, Extension Associate, Texas A&M Natural Resources Institute

Gambel’s quail (Callipepla gambelli) are less common in Texas than northern bobwhites (Colinus virginianus) and scaled quail (Callipepla squamata), but they are compelling creatures with unique adaptations that allow them to survive the harsh desert conditions in which they live. These ground-dwelling birds were discovered in the 1840s by William Gambel, a young American naturalist who loved birds and minerals (Ashworth 2017). Gambel discovered several other species to which his name is now attributed, including the dainty Mountain Chickadee (Poecile gambeli) and Gambel’s oak (Quercus gambelii). Although William Gambel discovered many interesting species, researchers continue to focus on Gambel’s quail and are perpetually learning more about these charismatic birds.

more @:
http://wild-wonderings.blogspot.com/2018/03/meet-gambels-quail.html

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Meet the Gambel's Quail - 03/16/18 11:16 PM

Beautiful.
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: Meet the Gambel's Quail - 03/16/18 11:31 PM

Nice picture
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Meet the Gambel's Quail - 03/17/18 11:11 AM

Cool
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Meet the Gambel's Quail - 03/17/18 04:03 PM

Cool little birds, love watching and listening to them. Sister had a place in Scottsdale and they were all over the place around there.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Meet the Gambel's Quail - 03/17/18 05:01 PM

My folks lived in Green Valley AZ and even had them nest in their back yard. And it seemed like they were every where. Golf courses was lousy with them.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Meet the Gambel's Quail - 03/17/18 11:23 PM

Pretty bird. I bet they make good tablefare. I'd like to have a couple stuffed.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Meet the Gambel's Quail - 03/17/18 11:37 PM

With cheese and jalapeño, or stuffing?
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Meet the Gambel's Quail - 03/18/18 03:56 AM

roflmao yes that too
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Meet the Gambel's Quail - 03/24/18 01:46 PM

Beautiful. Forrest
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum