Texas Hunting Forum

Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/22/18 02:06 PM

I've been running dogs once a year for these guys for about four years now, even when the rest of Texas is slow, this ranch seems to keep holding it's own. We hunted just a little over an hour Thursday evening and found 5 coveys. Friday morning we hunted 9 am to noon and found 11 coveys. Friday evening we hunted 2 hours and found four coveys. Saturday morning we hunted 8:30 to 11:15 and found 9 coveys. Saturday evening we only hunted the last hour of daylight and found two coveys. I think they ended up killing around 45 birds.

It was probably the driest I have seen the place,they need some rain bad.

This is a hunt that I look forward to every year now, all of us have became friends over these years and I look forward to hunting with them for years to come. Great people and I am proud to know them. Pics are on my phone so I'll post them after this, be patient.

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/22/18 02:11 PM

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/22/18 02:12 PM

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/22/18 02:16 PM

I will try to post some more later.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/22/18 02:16 PM

cheers
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/22/18 07:39 PM

Awesome Kevin! Know somebody is livin' right when the dogs have them pinned out in open like that
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/23/18 12:42 AM

Nice pics Kevin. Are those Boykins?

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/24/18 02:48 PM

Sorry Bobby forgot to reply, Yes the ranch owner and two of his close friends that were hunting with us, all 3 have Boykins. Great little dogs for finding dead birds. They have hunted with my dogs for 4 years now and really help out alot.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/24/18 05:51 PM

Thought so. Good little bird finders like my cockers. I have not lost one downed bird since I have been hunting Buster. Dude's got a Kirby for a nose.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/26/18 05:25 PM

up
Posted By: nak

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/28/18 04:13 AM

Wow. It’s great to see posts like this
Posted By: texas wetlands

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/29/18 10:29 PM

Great time again Kevin.

You could defiantly tell the difference from just a little moister in the mornings to hot South winds in the evening. I believe we still have the birds but not quiet like years crop. Hopefully we will get the conditions that we need this coming spring and summer.

The dogs worked their tales off and never gave up. Can't wait to do it again.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/30/18 02:26 AM

cheers

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/30/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: texas wetlands
Great time again Kevin.

You could defiantly tell the difference from just a little moister in the mornings to hot South winds in the evening. I believe we still have the birds but not quiet like years crop. Hopefully we will get the conditions that we need this coming spring and summer.

Looking forward to it bud. I am already working on next year (gonna drop Tex off at a pro trainer this weekend to help me get him where I need him).
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/30/18 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Great time again Kevin.

Looking forward to it bud. I am already working on next year (gonna drop Tex off at a pro trainer this weekend to help me get him where I need him).

Why not wait until September where you can put him on wild birds soon after he gets back?

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/30/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Great time again Kevin.

Why not wait until September where you can put him on wild birds soon after he gets back?

I'm thinking a month now and a month in september.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/30/18 05:32 PM

Who’s the trainer?

Re: Good hunt at the Shin Oak Ranch again - 01/30/18 05:45 PM

Most likely James Collier. But I'm talking to a couple of others. I took my first dog to James when I was 19 years old. I'm 44 now so I have known him a long time, he's trained several dogs for me,I even hunted with him a few years. But he has went up on his pricing and I'm not sure I want to pay it. Thing is, I know him and I know what he will do with this dog, no question or doubt. I don't know that with the others. Plus with James, a month for one of my dogs means more like 6 weeks, he is good about doing a little extra to get the dog to a certain point without charging extra.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum