Texas Hunting Forum

Best point of the weekend

Posted By: Wacm

Best point of the weekend - 12/11/17 10:53 PM

Wish I had a picture of it. We were in a huge open field with sporadic drainages. Lots of different grasses but mostly Sage. Coco went over a rise 60yards ahead. I was scanning the horizon and hurrying up the rise when the GPS started buzzing that she was on point. I got up top and saw her way off to my right and up ahead on point in a little bowl of cover 100 yards ahead. I said whoa real easy cause she was so stacked up with her head way up high. As I got closer I could see she was trembling which usually means she's looking at birds. About 30 yards away I saw and heard 8 huge mallards get up. They were in a flooded ditch. Their wings were so loud. Coco never moved...she usually breaks at flight. I think she was surprised as I was. They were huge. I guess it'd be like 8 pheasent getting up at once.. what a sight. The cover was high so I think she could see em with her head up high like that.
We hunted every kind of cover imaginable. I'm not a fan of trudging through sage so much any more.

Found these in some of the birds. I think these came from the birds on that flat with the ducks.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Best point of the weekend - 12/11/17 11:00 PM

cheers
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Best point of the weekend - 12/11/17 11:26 PM

I have some yuapon holly bushes that red berries that look like that. Birds love them. If they eat too many they get drunk
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum