Texas Hunting Forum

Caddo-LBJ national grasslands

Posted By: Kevin H.

Caddo-LBJ national grasslands - 10/19/17 01:29 PM

I am looking to go hunt some public land opening weekend. I have never hunted Caddo-LBJ and was curious if there are any birds on any of the units. If not I guess I can head out to Matador.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Caddo-LBJ national grasslands - 10/19/17 01:46 PM

There are birds in Decatur grasslands. I've worked my dogs on them. Hit the areas to the north of Alford, use the maps and remember deer hunters will be out.

Re: Caddo-LBJ national grasslands - 10/19/17 02:18 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Caddo-LBJ national grasslands - 10/19/17 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Catch Dog
There are birds in Decatur grasslands. I've worked my dogs on them. Hit the areas to the north of Alford, use the maps and remember deer hunters will be out.
Lord knows we put a plenty of them out back in the day. Occasionally while working dogs we would flush a pen-raised turned wild covey but not often. Man they always flew like wild birds after surviving a month or two on their own.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Caddo-LBJ national grasslands - 10/19/17 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Originally Posted By: Catch Dog
Lord knows we put a plenty of them out back in the day. Occasionally while working dogs we would flush a pen-raised turned wild covey but not often. Man they always flew like wild birds after surviving a month or two on their own.

I've seen the same thing happen in NSTRA trial grounds.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Caddo-LBJ national grasslands - 10/20/17 09:47 AM

I was running my young dog out there where they hold field trials before I was shooting birds over her last year, and I ran into the game warden that was finishing up checking some bow hunters and asked her if she ever sees birds in the road anymore, and she said no. 20 years ago you could go out and find a covey an hour maybe, but the wild birds back then where some of the fastest flying, running, trickiest birds you can imagine (back in the day before bobs adapted into runners). If you got one bird out of a covey, you were doing something because they knew how to use the cover up there very well.

Re: Caddo-LBJ national grasslands - 10/20/17 03:10 PM

I hope I can find a few birds then. It would be nice if we had public land that held quail around DFW.
Posted By: nak

Re: Caddo-LBJ national grasslands - 10/22/17 12:50 AM

I heard birds calling out there several times this summer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum