Texas Hunting Forum

Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay?

Posted By: duckbill

Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/03/17 10:21 PM

I know this has been discussed here before. In fact, four or five years ago I did my own research and discussed it with my vet. Didn't do it then, but am considering it with my 1 year old DD before we get into quail season. I'm also planning on attending the snake avoidance training with Wal this Sunday morning and plan to ask questions there.

So, what does the THF brain trust say about the vaccine? A lot of what I have read seems to indicate that the data is shake at best on whether it's effective.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/03/17 10:28 PM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6831826/Snake_Vaccine#Post6831826
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/08/17 12:55 PM

I had a Labrador hit on the nose after having the shot. She swelled up a bit. We went ahead and took her to the vet. He asked if she had the shot and we told him yes. He gave her some fluids and Benadryl. We picked her up later that afternoon. The swelling had moved down to her chest area. By the next day we couldn't even tell she had been bit. I'm a believer.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/08/17 03:07 PM

I get it. I don't have hunting dogs, but I've got a couple collies that go with me to the lease every weekend and like to run around like crazy. I hope to never find out if it works or not but I've got it should they get bit.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/08/17 09:54 PM

No Rainer get it
Posted By: cliffhanger

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/15/17 10:06 PM

all the dogs have had it[9 dogs} and would recomend it highly. several have been bit only one has had to visit the vet and he has been bit three seperate times,,not a smart dog,,
Posted By: kindall

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/15/17 11:08 PM

Yay,for my dogs.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/16/17 01:48 AM

this gets discussed all the time... and the consensus has not changed.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/16/17 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: MS1454
this gets discussed all the time... and the consensus has not changed.

It's a Nay for me
Posted By: Matagorda Mud Pig

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/20/17 03:08 AM

Anybody have a source for this vaccine?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/21/17 06:20 PM

Used to do it, don't anymore.
Never had a dog bitten by a rattler. Copperheads yes, rattlers no.

They know seem to know the smell of a venomous snake as opposed to non-venomous.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/21/17 08:35 PM

No. Don't hunt in snake country anymore.
Posted By: nak

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 08/22/17 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: AndrewOSpencer
Anybody have a source for this vaccine?

My vet does not carry it and was not interested in getting it. Most of the vets I called wanted and office visit in addition to the vaccine cost.
The Cheapest I have found is Penny Paws Animal Clinics. They show $30. I'm taking Rye this weekend. Here is an email exchange with them.

Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 11:36 AM
To: NAK
Subject: Re: Do you have Rattlesnake vaccine at your mobile clinics

Hi Mr. Nak

You do not need an examination for us to administer that vaccination. You're welcome to come in any time during office hours and we'll get that done for you.

Thank you,
Jenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM, NAK wrote:

To get the Rattlesnake vaccine, is there an additional charge for a vet visit, or is it just the charge for the vaccine?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 10:08 AM
To: NAK

Subject: Re: Do you have Rattlesnake vaccine at your mobile clinics

Good morning Mr. NAK

Unfortunately, we only care the core vaccinations at our mobile clinics. The rattlesnake vaccine is available at our Basswood and Richland Hills location.

Thank you,

Jenny

Customer Support at Penny Paws
helping people, helping pets ®
817-284-7297
Posted By: oaktreeplanter

Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine Yay or Nay? - 09/21/17 02:29 PM

Sounds like a good idea as long as it works. Do they make snake vaccine for people too?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum