Texas Hunting Forum

Bird Vest

Posted By: Rick Titus

Bird Vest - 06/18/17 01:20 PM

I'm looking for a blaze orange bird vest with water bottle holders on each side. I've ordered the Browning Bird n Lite back in March and Amazon hasn't shipped it yet and I suppose its on back order I don't know. I've been carrying a water bottle for the dogs for some time but I don't like it in the back with the birds. What do y'all use, do you carry a little water for the dogs in your vest and if you have what I'm describing where did you get it. Thanks!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Bird Vest - 06/18/17 02:05 PM

Have you seen these vests?

http://wingworks.biz/shop/wingworks-ballistic-vests/
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Bird Vest - 06/18/17 02:20 PM

If you don't require a full vest I cannot say enough good things about this. It has a water bottle pocket on each side. It comes in a blaze orange version also.
Posted By: pharmvet

Re: Bird Vest - 06/18/17 03:58 PM

I'm fond of my Filson vest like the one Nogalus Prairie mentioned above

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Bird Vest - 06/18/17 05:39 PM

I've got a Filson in camo. Has held up well over several years use, but I'm considering buying one of the wing works vest
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Bird Vest - 06/18/17 06:46 PM

I use surplus Army web gear, a pistol belt, canteens, 2 shell pouches, and a fanny pack for the birds. No orange, but I could add an orange vest from Walmart. It is comfortable, and it has not worn out with over 40 years of hunting. I also have zip lock plastic bags that fit in the fanny pack to put the birds in.

Sort of looks like this.

Posted By: blanked

Re: Bird Vest - 06/18/17 08:13 PM

I have the wing works for all day hunts carrying maximum amount of water. It's over kill for smaller hunts. For smaller hunts and smaller birds like quail I use a San Carlos by Q5 outdoors

When carrying water for you and the dogs you want a vest that is designed to carry most of the weight on your hips. The picture of the filson appears to looks like all the weight is riding on your shoulders.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Bird Vest - 06/18/17 09:53 PM

+3 on the Filson.
Posted By: Rick Titus

Re: Bird Vest - 06/18/17 11:09 PM

Thanks fellow's for all the good ideas. Y'all have a happy Fathers Day!!
Posted By: The Point

Re: Bird Vest - 06/21/17 03:25 AM

WingWorks
Posted By: BANDIT_DOC

Re: Bird Vest - 06/24/17 08:19 PM

I have found an army 2qt canteen to be nearly indespensible, you can wear it on a belt or as a satchel over the shoulder type. It is collapsible so when it empties you can throw it in your haversack. Its good for some of the longer treks or when the temps warrant it for me and the dog. Best of luck. Oh that browning you mentioned is pretty awesome, I think you'll be pleased.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum