Absolutely.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Panache - 05/15/17 11:13 PM

Yes. But I won't get rid of a dog if it isn't there
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Panache - 05/15/17 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: blanked
Yes. But I won't get rid of a dog if it isn't there

I'm the same way. They are here to stay when they come home with me. Cracker is lacking in that department but she's my dog.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Panache - 05/16/17 12:46 AM

One of the first things I look for in a pup. Put them on a wing and see how nice the tail might be, do they stop and stand tall or hunker down some. It doesn't cost anymore to feed a pretty one. If there are two that look good to you take the well marked one (or both of them) home. You wont know much about desire, nose and bid ability till later but if they have it all looks are a big plus.

You can tell a lot at eight weeks!

Re: Panache - 05/16/17 01:15 AM

ET's red setters have panache in spades. An artist came down to do a painting. Here's his first sketch.

ET ask what I thought. My reply was that it was a tough job. I've never seen either tail that low and I liked to see them leaning in like this.

It's a tough job to catch them just right.

Re: Panache - 05/16/17 04:28 AM

Picture No. 1 is a sketch?
Posted By: blanked

Re: Panache - 05/16/17 07:34 AM

ET should have wore his red coat and tie for the sketch

Re: Panache - 05/16/17 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet
Picture No. 1 is a sketch?

Yes.

The continental breeds do not have tails but you can still recognize panache when you see it. My first training book was By Henry P. Davis. He likened class of bird dogs to pretty classy women. You know it when you see it.

Re: Panache - 05/16/17 03:32 PM

Damn, so clear and crisp looks like a pic. I'd check with ET, cover looks way to clear.
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Panache - 05/16/17 05:00 PM

I just take Chet's hand me downs. As long as they hunt I don't care what they look like.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Panache - 05/16/17 05:04 PM

I think panache in all aspects of upland bird hunting is what makes it so special.

Dogs, shotguns, attire (somewhat at least), social aspects, proper words to describe things, deference to gunning companions, leaving some birds, everything.

In other words, class.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Panache - 05/17/17 04:35 PM

I am with you Bill, not sure if its proper (with a capital P) form, but I like a little lean in as well which ends up with a point where the head is not as high as some guys like; guess thats personal preference.

Re: Panache - 05/17/17 05:08 PM

I think it happens a lot less than it once did but people once styled their dogs up on point. It was part of the training program. I'm completely hands off in that area. I don't even set them back, but that's another topic.

Re: Panache - 05/17/17 05:09 PM

If I am being honest, some of Jenny's points have "panache", and some don't.

Posted By: GA DOG 2

Re: Panache - 05/19/17 05:06 PM

That sketch of the 2 red setters is beautiful, wouldn't mind having that framed and in my office!!
Posted By: quailg

Re: Panache - 05/21/17 07:55 PM

If 2 dogs are equal(but they never are) then yes, but in general style does not matter much to me. Can they smell, point, come and Whoa(and NO fighting) is most impt to me.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Panache - 05/22/17 02:03 AM

There is a lot of bs somewhere. Maybe poopy paints can figure it out.
Posted By: poopypants

Re: Panache - 05/22/17 03:19 AM

Well old poopy likes em' tall and tight. Now don't know if that's your panache or not but daddy always told me a good dogs like a good woman, they don't have to be pretty but the ride home is always shorter if they are.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Panache - 05/22/17 09:22 PM

Well mr poopy is mr oxners first picture a picture or a painting.

The better looking the quicker the ride home and the quicker to sleep has been my experience
Posted By: poopypants

Re: Panache - 05/22/17 10:22 PM

Well, could be wrong but seems like a dang nice photo of two pretty red dogs. I new a old boy with a red dog that could talk. I went to look at it and sure as Im standing here he said hello to me, then asked if I was haven a good day. Well I went and bought him and then after the deal was done asked the old boy why would he sell a dog with that kind a talent. He looked me square in the eye and come clean that the dog lies some. Dangest thing I ever witnessed.

Re: Panache - 05/23/17 02:43 PM

I copied this pic of the new Nat. CH. from facebook and can't get it to appear as a photo but only a link, sorry for that but if you clink on the link it's another example of a class bird dog.

[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/..._12674228388237[/img]
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Panache - 05/23/17 07:13 PM

I got ya Chet. That is one fine looking animal right there.

Re: Panache - 05/23/17 07:48 PM

Thanks Bobby. I got it to work, now don't feel like complete tool. up

Re: Panache - 05/23/17 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1

I'd call that panache.....

Re: Panache - 05/23/17 08:57 PM

Looks great, especially without the e-collar.

Re: Panache - 05/23/17 11:24 PM

Attaboy Chet! up
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Panache - 05/23/17 11:33 PM

That's one beautiful SOB.

Re: Panache - 05/24/17 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

That's one beautiful SOB.
That ain't no excrement!
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Panache - 05/24/17 05:02 AM

Whoo-wee! Chet's picture is gonna be hard to beat. I mean pointing dog perfection standing right there!

Only chance for it being any better would be if that was my name collar on him.
Posted By: GA DOG 2

Re: Panache - 05/25/17 03:38 PM

Great looking dog!!! A canine athlete for sure.

Ga Dog
Posted By: BANDIT_DOC

Re: Panache - 06/24/17 08:36 PM

Those setters are beautiful. I dont know too much about good buying a dog for its beauty. Maybe I feel like I havent really earned a beautiful dog just yet. Id be happy with any dog who would be willing to hunt with me and ride the miles it takes to get there. Ha!
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Panache - 06/29/17 11:59 PM

I'm green compared to you guys but I've noticed that my dogs head goes up real high when she's on a big covey. I'm guessing she's trying to see them cause she smells them strong.

I love style but just really wanted a bird dog. I got a great GSP but honestly the English pointers I had as a kid always were the look of style. The GSP just gets the job done.

Re: Panache - 06/30/17 02:52 AM

You may be seeing what folks call head crank. Attitude bred dogs seem too have it a lot. It's a tasty thing for a dog to have.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum