Texas Hunting Forum

NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes???

Posted By: DuckedUp

NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/22/17 06:57 PM

Does anyone know of any upcoming NBHA sanctioned amateur shooting dog stakes (judgement ceases at flush) coming up? I know there are two different amateur shooting dog stakes, I'm after the ones that don't require a fully broke dog and the judgement ends at flushing the birds. Thanks in advance
Posted By: Chet

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/22/17 07:44 PM

I believe the Nat. Am. Shooting Dog Championship starts tomorrow in Ardmore Okla. This is the broke dog championship.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/22/17 08:22 PM

Those trials are difficult to find. Field trials were in trouble before NBHA and ABHA split into two different trials.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/22/17 09:55 PM

I don't think NBHA has had any trials in Texas this year. I was interested in going and checking a few of them out. The dog I just placed in the NSTRA trial last weekend also has 3 placements in NBHA. I went to a couple of them a few years back, had a great time.

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/22/17 10:00 PM

I went to one ABHA trial several years ago. My HTA pointer placed second in the derby. The bird planter ran his dog in there. We just ran down one side of the field and back up the other side. I've seen NSTRA dogs with better wheels.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/22/17 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckedUp

Does anyone know of any upcoming NBHA sanctioned amateur shooting dog stakes (judgement ceases at flush) coming up? I know there are two different amateur shooting dog stakes, I'm after the ones that don't require a fully broke dog and the judgement ends at flushing the birds. Thanks in advance
That would be a Derby stake. The Shooting Dog Championships require a broke dog. Stands to wing and shot fall and then release by handler.

Call Dickie Sorrell for info
2069 Hcr 3322 Loop
Hubbard, TX 76648
Phone: (254) 580-2022

or Ken Sauer, 281-320-9594
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/22/17 10:44 PM

What's the age limit to compete in a derby stake?
Posted By: CCSETTER

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/23/17 02:34 AM

Derby dogs are two yrs of age and under.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/23/17 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: CCSETTER
Derby dogs are two yrs of age and under.
As of January 1st of any year. Lots of dogs held from November and December and even earlier actual born dates to litter register in January to get an edge by running older dogs. I never liked that but it happens.

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/23/17 03:32 PM

Ive got a big running two year old setter that I'm wanting to run, but I have zero desire to make her steady to WSF. She's run in a couple puppy stakes and got a couple 2nd places, so the potential is definitely there

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/23/17 04:56 PM

Try NSTRA. I've seen big running dogs win there. I had one that was a two time champion.

Re: NBHA Amateur Shooting Dog Stakes??? - 03/23/17 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Try NSTRA. I've seen big running dogs win there. I had one that was a two time champion.

Might be what I have to end up doing
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum