Texas Hunting Forum

Offer for this upcoming year.

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Offer for this upcoming year. - 03/19/17 12:36 AM

For you guys that have figured out teaching "woah" to yalls dogs. I got a membership at top flight hunting club I can take guests for free and birds are pretty inexpensive. I'd be willing to take y'all and we split some birds if you can help me out. My contact info is below.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Offer for this upcoming year. - 03/19/17 12:39 AM

Whoa shouldn't be taught on birds
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Offer for this upcoming year. - 03/19/17 12:39 AM

That's kind of you. I'll spread the word.

Re: Offer for this upcoming year. - 03/19/17 12:59 AM

Thanks bill. Hopefully we can meet up again maybe there is something I'm doing wrong and don't realize?
She will stay at my knee ona retrieve but won't hold a point. So I know it's something I'm not doing to get her to realize what I'm asking. She will only sit, and yes I've used the suit case hitch on a woah post and barrel.

Yes, Well it seems like I've tried everything, and I'm at a loss. I have read more about the woah than I have owning 3 labs and Getting those labs much further than elementary stages.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Offer for this upcoming year. - 03/19/17 01:07 AM

You can't teach point. Is she pointing by instinct yet?

Re: Offer for this upcoming year. - 03/20/17 03:45 AM

She points very well bill. She just thinks it's her life mission to get that bird and won't hold the point. Sorry if I didn't explain that before.

Re: Offer for this upcoming year. - 03/20/17 07:59 AM

Running her on pen raised quail will make it worst. There poor flyers and the dog will catch one eventually

Re: Offer for this upcoming year. - 03/20/17 12:32 PM

I know pen raised birds are not an replacement for wild ones, but I do have a constraint of getting on wild birds. Maybe I'm being narrow minded or naive, but I have to believe that this membership has some value in training.

Re: Offer for this upcoming year. - 03/20/17 12:47 PM

Pen raised chukar are strong flyers. I think top flight sells them. Fresh caught pigeons are strong flyers. Theres 2 guys in houston craigslist sells fresh pigeons. Many as you want
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Offer for this upcoming year. - 03/20/17 02:17 PM

Pigeons is what I have heard works best. Dropping pigeons around the dog when close to you causes them to learn they must be careful when around you as birds seem to be close to you.

From dropping pigeons then launching them. My mentor says to start by launching the pigeons when the dog is in the area and before sighting or scenting.

Next you let the dog get scent, point and if they move a muscle you launch teaching them they cannot walk over and catch the bird they must point and be steady.

Lastly with a friend holding the check cord while they are on point you launch the bird and you shoot the bird and you walk and get the bird and bring it back to the dog to teach that you will shoot the birds for them.

Not sure if any of this works and makes sense to me.

Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum