Texas Hunting Forum

When it clicks

Posted By: Chet

When it clicks - 01/19/17 04:08 PM

These two pups figured it out yesterday. The male in the background is 8 months old and has been finding and moving birds for a while. Yesterday he found and pointed 3 coveys in less than 30 minutes. Still moving them but real close to getting it done and showing an amazing nose.

The real surprise has been the 6 month old female in the foreground (she's out of my Beau dog who is having a great trial season this year). She had a bad experience with sand burs (I put her down the first time in a mess of them). But the last two times down she has started to ignore them and go hunting. She found and pointed two coveys and held for the flush both times the second time the birds were moving and she relocated twice and the third time nailed three birds and let me flush. Because of trying to get to the pups before the birds leave and trying to kill one for them I haven't been thinking about pics. Now that both are holding I'll get some of two stylish young pups next week, can't wait.

By the way our birds are holding up well(10 bird limit and some members like me who rarely shot one) and are making Feb look great for dog work. Not sure how long the pups were really on the ground but I was in the field for less then 2 1/2 hours with two pups under 8 months and worked 9 coveys. Past two seasons have been special.

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 04:12 PM

Great looking pups.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 04:33 PM

Very nice! Hows the new hunting rig working out?

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 04:36 PM

Love it the fold down table in the back and the LED lights are my favs. Still haven't had a chance to ride in the high seat but working on it.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 04:39 PM

Greatness. They will be ready for the breaking process in the fall.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 04:52 PM

2 good looking leggy dogs there sir. I bet they can cover some country.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 05:44 PM

Very Nice!!!
Posted By: arandy

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 05:49 PM

Great pups! Best training possible is being in lots of birds. I have a pup that we have been letting find dead and he pointed and held his first covey last week. Have not got the papers on him yet but he looks to be about 6 months. Can't wait to get back out there next week and enjoy some more of this dream.

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 06:45 PM

Does that male pup have a purple tail?

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 06:48 PM

Yes, he cracks his tail a lot and going through the oak mots he tears it up pretty good. Purple is medication.

PS Just got a call from a friend from Houston area who was on the lease Wed also. 6 or 8 broke dogs and moved 40 coveys. What a year!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet
Yes, he cracks his tail a lot and going through the oak mots he tears it up pretty good. Purple is medication.

PS Just got a call from a friend from Houston area who was on the lease Wed also. 6 or 8 broke dogs and moved 40 coveys. What a year!

Nice to be able to hunt on weekdays.

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
2 good looking leggy dogs there sir. I bet they can cover some country.

You're right about the male but angles can be deceptive, the female is actually pretty small. Still hoping she will grow some, but having all the tools in a small package well I'll keep her.

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 09:17 PM

That male reminds of a dog I had once named Sam. Long and Lanky and ran like his tail was on fire. When he slammed a point you could see dirt fly. Had his tail not been a sickle he would have sure been a nice trial dog. Lost him to a car on a highway at 6 years old.

Little female looks like a keeper for sure.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: When it clicks - 01/19/17 09:23 PM

Classy looking pups.
Posted By: pharmvet

Re: When it clicks - 01/20/17 12:24 AM

Very nice looking dogs!
Posted By: cattle69

Re: When it clicks - 01/20/17 02:07 AM

My door is open if you need a place to keep one! wink
Posted By: kindall

Re: When it clicks - 01/20/17 02:09 PM

You've always got some classy dogs.
Love the look of that little female.
Posted By: cattle69

Re: When it clicks - 01/20/17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: kindall
You've always got some classy dogs.
Love the look of that little female.

I agree, I would just like for him to pick my next ones out.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: When it clicks - 01/20/17 03:56 PM

Very nice..I'm glad you guys have the birds. Our lease is like that. We shoot a few but really try to take care of our birds. It sure is nice when your headed that way with good scenting conditions knowing you'll be in for a treat when you get there. Our dogs are getting really sharp. Best of luck in the seasons to come.

Re: When it clicks - 01/20/17 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Nice to be able to hunt on weekdays.

Retirement is what I always hoped it would be. Too cold to fish, bird hunt. Too hot to work dogs, go fishing. And do it mid week when lakes and pastures are less crowded. grin

Re: When it clicks - 01/21/17 11:45 PM

Retirement is what I always hoped it would be. Too cold to fish, bird hunt. Too hot to work dogs, go fishing. And do it mid week when lakes and pastures are less crowded. grin
6 more years. 66 years and 4 months old I'll be doing the same.

Re: When it clicks - 01/22/17 01:11 AM

I like the semi-retirement deal. Work a little, hunt when I'm not working. Which a lot of times is during the week.

Re: When it clicks - 01/22/17 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
I like the semi-retirement deal. Work a little, hunt when I'm not working. Which a lot of times is during the week.
I plan on working on windy or rainy days in retirment. Already cleared it with my boss. She said we would love to have you work as much as you want. Seems like the nice weather days are during the week. So I could work weekends. Been working from home since 2005. Shorts and tee shirt. grin
Posted By: tigger

Re: When it clicks - 01/22/17 03:12 PM

Great job chet
Hope next trip is as good.
Posted By: LABIRDDOG

Re: When it clicks - 01/22/17 03:27 PM

Nice pups.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: When it clicks - 01/22/17 03:29 PM

up
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: When it clicks - 01/22/17 05:40 PM