Texas Hunting Forum

Hearing protection while quail hunting??

Posted By: pharmvet

Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/09/17 11:00 PM

Anyone use any type of hearing protection? I never have while hunting quail but I'm starting to rethink it. Need something so that you can still hear flushing birds, but after 3 days of shotgun blasts and whistles I think I have auditory fatigue! Lol. Caught a couple of muzzle blasts from my buddies standing slightly behind me that left a lasting impression. You guys that have been at it for a long time suffering any hearing loss from the shotgun?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/09/17 11:17 PM

I laughed at friends for years for wearing hearing protection. Now they are laughing at me because I can't hear.

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/09/17 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I laughed at friends for years for wearing hearing protection. Now they are laughing at me because I can't hear.

While bird hunting?
Or things like mowing, tractor, chainsaw etc?
If while hunting, What type of hearing protection were they using?
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 12:09 AM

I use those plugs on a string. Still can hear what I need to with them in.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 12:12 AM

Run one through the tag of your vest and knot it in the middle. Then they are always right there.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 12:42 AM

I bit the bullet and bought the electronic ear plugs, too many buzz worms where my lease is to not be able hear scared
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 12:53 AM

I hunt alone and dont shoot much so no. While duck hunting however hell yes.
Posted By: supersampson12

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 04:27 AM

Never
Posted By: P_102

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 09:29 AM

Get ear protection unless you want your ears to ring 24/7, mine have for 30+ years. P_102
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 11:17 AM

>>> Plugs w/ valve

These are better than nothing and I've always used them. Put them in as you're getting out of the truck. I've always been able to hear fine with them.

Docs are always going to tell you to wear ear muffs, but I've never been able to tolerate those, even the electronic ones. 'Can't wear a hat, etc.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 01:41 PM

I've been using the Surefire EP3s for many years and they work well for me.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 01:42 PM

Have owned several dogs that used it.

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet

Lol
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/10/17 06:10 PM

I got two pair from Sam's hearing. One pair is a plug with a valve--@125 for a fitting. The other is the noise protection hearing aids they sell with a custom fit earpiece since they aren't digital @500.

I can hear birds with both and I am really hard of hearing. Didn't wear hearing protection when I was young.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/14/17 04:29 AM

I have a pair of Impact hearing protectors that I use sometimes at the clays range.
Never thought of using them to hunt. They are amplified until the gun fires.
They look like these....

Pretty warm too.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/14/17 12:03 PM

I never have but am starting to think maybe I should. At least in my one ear that is still pretty good. Ears were ringing pretty much the entire trip home yesterday. I wonder how well those "Game Ear" things that some deer hunters use would work?
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/14/17 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: pharmvet
Originally Posted By: Chet

Lol
roflmao roflmao roflmao Made my morning!

Back to the ear protection. My tinnitus in my 60 year old ears tells me I should have wore them. Who knew back then. Sounds like a transistor TV warming up all day with the high pitched buzz. It is there when I wake up and goes all day. The only time I don't hear it is when I am asleep. So I say wear 'em if ya got 'em.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/14/17 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: arandy
I never have but am starting to think maybe I should. At least in my one ear that is still pretty good. Ears were ringing pretty much the entire trip home yesterday. I wonder how well those "Game Ear" things that some deer hunters use would work?
You want digital.

The game hunter product reduces blast noise but you need a better earpiece. I\
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/14/17 04:00 PM

Crazy as it may sound, as a Tank Company commander years ago, I learned to keep my mouth open when any firing was going on to lessen the percussion effect. Still do it hunting, 72 years old now because I tend to forget putting ear protection in. Yes, the occasional mosquito or bug happens but just consider it an appetizer!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/14/17 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102
Get ear protection unless you want your ears to ring 24/7, mine have for 30+ years. P_102
same here
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/14/17 05:23 PM

Had chronic ear ringing since high school when a knucklehead excited buddy sitting in a high seat in a jeep shot at a bobcat with a 7mm mag over my head without telling me.

I get the blue ones that are on a string and have put a loop in my whistle lanyard with 50lb mono and tie the ear plugs to that loop, has worked pretty good for the past 15 years of doing that.

Have buddies that tie the ear plugs to their size adjustment deal on their hunting caps, but if you switch to something warmer, you forget your earplugs with that approach
Posted By: a74aggie

Re: Hearing protection while quail hunting?? - 01/14/17 10:12 PM

Amen P_102. Mine have as well. Wish I had them when I was younger.....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum