Texas Hunting Forum

Quail Behavior

Posted By: longgunner

Quail Behavior - 01/06/17 10:43 PM

I have 250 acres with about 1/2 in mesquite pasture and 1/2 in CRP. We see quail in the mesquite pasture during the day, but have been seeing a lot of quail at dusk in the CRP.

Question: Will the quail stay mainly in the mesquite pasture during the day and hit the CRP in evening to feed or do you think they are roosting?

If I were to put out a few quail feeders, do you recommend the CRP? It is much easier hunting them there vs. the heavy mesquite pasture.

Thoughts?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail Behavior - 01/06/17 11:41 PM

Great question. They like to roost in the opening. They have to have food. They can't feed in deep grass. This thread could go on for awhile.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Quail Behavior - 01/07/17 01:03 AM

Quail feeders become predator magnets. If you must use them put them in the mesquite thickets to guard against aerial predators
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Quail Behavior - 01/07/17 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: longgunner
I have 250 acres with about 1/2 in mesquite pasture and 1/2 in CRP. We see quail in the mesquite pasture during the day, but have been seeing a lot of quail at dusk in the CRP.

Question: Will the quail stay mainly in the mesquite pasture during the day and hit the CRP in evening to feed or do you think they are roosting?

If I were to put out a few quail feeders, do you recommend the CRP? It is much easier hunting them there vs. the heavy mesquite pasture.

Thoughts?

I agree with feeding the quail, but I would broadcast it in the cover. Feeders are proven death traps for quail.
The most effective way is to just tear a corner off of a bag of milo and pour it in a straight line in the cover as far as it will go. Do this repeatedly in several spots on the farm.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Quail Behavior - 01/07/17 07:25 PM

This time of year our quail are actually feeding in the CRP. Look closely at the ground. You will see tiny green chutes. You can catch then out in the open most of the day.
Posted By: longgunner

Re: Quail Behavior - 01/08/17 01:32 AM

Wacm,

Hunted earlier this week, and you are exactly right. They were a bunch of singles in the CRP, but they were not in a covey. Why is it "this time of year" vs other times of year? shooting over CRP is much better than heavy mesquite pasture!
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Quail Behavior - 01/16/17 12:21 AM

Last weekend I found quail in the CRP but it was small coveys, big coveys were in the creek bottoms.
Posted By: Hall Wildlife

Re: Quail Behavior - 01/18/17 02:22 PM

Regarding successfully (actually positively impacting the population) supplemental feeding bobwhite quail Texas Tech has some great recent research data.

Historically feeder stations have had little to no documented success to a quail population. TTU took it a different direction and broadcast feed (corn/milo) into the pasture along defined routes. Interesting information.

This is a link to their data...http://www.quail-tech.org/Index.htm
Once on that homepage also click on "QT Newsletter" and "Archive" that will provide you with access to the data over the years.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Quail Behavior - 01/18/17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Hall Wildlife
Regarding successfully (actually positively impacting the population) supplemental feeding bobwhite quail Texas Tech has some great recent research data.

Historically feeder stations have had little to no documented success to a quail population. TTU took it a different direction and broadcast feed (corn/milo) into the pasture along defined routes. Interesting information.

This is a link to their data...http://www.quail-tech.org/Index.htm
Once on that homepage also click on "QT Newsletter" and "Archive" that will provide you with access to the data over the years.
Fascinating. Thanks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum