Texas Hunting Forum

Quail hunting with snow on the ground

Posted By: pharmvet

Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/06/17 03:22 PM

Getting to hunt my lease this weekend near Childress for first time this year. Looks like there is gonna be some snow on the ground. Best hunt I ever had was 25 years ago with about 1" snow on the ground. Dogs noses worked well, birds held tight, seemed to stay together when the covey got up, didn't fly far. We found nearly every bird we shot down that day.

Hoping for a repeat weekend!!!!!

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/06/17 03:30 PM

Good luck. Post pictures. Say a covey still on the roost one morning in the snow. Wish I had gotten a picture.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/06/17 03:35 PM

Sounds like you in for a great weekend. Good luck!!! Take it slow and enjoy your dogs.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/06/17 03:38 PM

Good luck!
Posted By: tigger

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/06/17 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: pharmvet
Getting to hunt my lease near Childress for first time this year. Looks like there is gonna be some snow on the ground. Best hunt I ever had was 25 years ago with about 1" snow on the ground. Dogs noses worked well, birds held tight, seemed to stay together when the covey got up, didn't fly far. We found nearly every bird we shot down that day.

Same thing happened at my lease about 20 years ago except 4 inch snow. Dogs worked great, birds nit not fly far, held tight. Came back a week latter and in area we had hunted numbers down 70% the area of ranch not hunted numbers down 10% from before snow. cold wet very hard on coveys that are busted up.
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/06/17 07:58 PM

I was just coming on here to ask about hunting in the snow. I hate it once it starts to melt but I think the next couple of days will be fine. I hunt SW of Childress and I think they have received 3-4" of snow.

So what's the consensus. go or no go?
Posted By: TXPanhandler

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/06/17 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: rowdydog1
I was just coming on here to ask about hunting in the snow. I hate it once it starts to melt but I think the next couple of days will be fine. I hunt SW of Childress and I think they have received 3-4" of snow.

Go! Just call it quits at 3 so they have ample time to covey up before dark!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/06/17 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: TXPanhandler
Originally Posted By: rowdydog1

Go! Just call it quits at 3 so they have ample time to covey up before dark!
at the very least 3:00
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/06/17 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: tigger
Getting to hunt my lease near Childress for first time this year. Looks like there is gonna be some snow on the ground. Best hunt I ever had was 25 years ago with about 1" snow on the ground. Dogs noses worked well, birds held tight, seemed to stay together when the covey got up, didn't fly far. We found nearly every bird we shot down that day.

Same thing happened at my lease about 20 years ago except 4 inch snow. Dogs worked great, birds nit not fly far, held tight. Came back a week latter and in area we had hunted numbers down 70% the area of ranch not hunted numbers down 10% from before snow. cold wet very hard on coveys that are busted up.

I would like to know if Tigger's bunch hunted past 3:00. I'll bet they didn't.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/07/17 12:01 AM

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/07/17 02:54 AM

Headed west now. Staring down the barrel of a 6 hour drive. Any road conditions around Bonham /Sherman etc?

Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/07/17 03:22 AM

Becarful! Icy roads on 287. I will be heading that way tomorrow morning!!!
Posted By: arandy

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/07/17 11:19 AM

I have seen birds take a beating from heavy snow and worse in ice storms, hunted or not. I don't bother them in those stressful conditions but an inch or so only means start a little later and have a hard morning hunt and shut it down for the day. The day it warms up after a snow is always interesting. Good luck!

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/08/17 01:35 AM

How can I get my pics NOT to be sideways?
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/08/17 05:23 AM

Save them to computer. Open them with paint. Rotate them and save them. Upload them.

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/08/17 02:55 PM

Or hold the phone sideways when taking picture.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/08/17 10:39 PM

Updates on your hunts?

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 12:46 AM

Awesome!!!!!!!got lots of great pics but I can't get them to post right side up for some reason.

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 02:01 AM

Awesome!!!!!!!got lots of great pics but I can't get them to post right side up for some reason.
Post them. I'll fix them

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 02:08 AM

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 02:13 AM

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 02:20 AM

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 02:29 AM

Thanks for the pics! How many coveys moved over the weekend? How was the dog work?

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 02:56 AM

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 02:59 AM

Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 03:04 AM

Looks like a great time!

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
Thanks for the pics! How many coveys moved over the weekend? How was the dog work?

Probably moved 40 coveys
My young lemon male turned the corner, pointed and held several coveys and singles. Found lots of dead birds.
Very frustrated with my black and white female. She ran up SEVERAL coveys and does not yet want to point. Still the best dog I have for finding dead birds, but she has got to start pointing and holding birds!

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 03:36 AM

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 03:59 AM

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 04:00 AM

Looks like memories were made. Congrats!
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/09/17 04:59 PM

Great photos!
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/12/17 09:36 PM

Pharmvet
what area were you hunting?

I was south of Childress and I had a great 2 days of hunting. but hardly any snow left on the ground by saturday evening. Sunday it was just in areas that didn't get any sunlight, but Sunday afternoon it was all gone.

probably pushed 50 coveys in less than 2 full days.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Quail hunting with snow on the ground - 01/13/17 04:53 PM

Wow very nice pics..a few of those are frame worthy. It's hard to stop and snap pics but I find as I get older it get more and more important. Man it's so nice to look back. That's a lot of birds. I'm guessing this hunt was up there with your hunt 20 years ago.. grin

Very very nice post
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum