Texas Hunting Forum

Teaching a pup to back

Posted By: Old Hickory

Teaching a pup to back - 11/29/16 01:52 AM

I've got a 9 mth old gsp pup that I've been working with. Looking for opinions and suggestions on how and when to introduce backing. This is the first bird dog I have trained just looking for some help. Thanks
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Teaching a pup to back - 11/29/16 02:01 AM

It's natural. Most pups like to back. Teach whoa to enforce it.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Teaching a pup to back - 11/29/16 04:22 AM

Bill is correct,,, whoa is the secret.

Re: Teaching a pup to back - 11/29/16 02:36 PM

Funny thing. Cracker started backing at a very young age. She's been known to back cow horns, a dog trailer, and road sighs.

Here she is backing at 6 months old.

She simply wont back another dog of any breed that is pointing skunks.
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: Teaching a pup to back - 11/29/16 04:45 PM

My setter pup would back when his mama stopped to pee!

Re: Teaching a pup to back - 11/30/16 12:24 AM

Backing dummies are a waste of time in my opinion.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Teaching a pup to back - 11/30/16 01:23 AM

I had a gyp that would teach a pup to back real quick
Posted By: Old Hickory

Re: Teaching a pup to back - 11/30/16 01:37 AM

Thanks I appreciate the info.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Teaching a pup to back - 12/02/16 12:25 AM

As usual I am the oddball. I find dominant dogs do not back naturally. Also depending on another dog to whoa the whole time while your training the dominant dog to back him is too easy to lose control of the training situation. For that reason I use the remote backer. I also plant a couple of pigeons behind the remote backer in launchers to launch while the dominant dog is backing the remote backer
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Teaching a pup to back - 12/02/16 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: blanked
As usual I am the oddball. I find dominant dogs do not back naturally. Also depending on another dog to whoa the whole time while your training the dominant dog to back him is too easy to lose control of the training situation. For that reason I use the remote backer. I also plant a couple of pigeons behind the remote backer in launchers to launch while the dominant dog is backing the remote backer
Good technique right here. I never had a remote backer but I did have a wood dog I made that worked great. I did use launchers just like you. It helped reinforce the honoring of another dogs point. It was real fun watching a pointer slide to a stop on a back once trained right.

Now we had a old dog when I was a kid that would "teach" the other young dogs to back. You didn't steal Bozo's point but once. grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum