Texas Hunting Forum

Your pup gets a solid point… Now what?

Posted By: pharmvet

Your pup gets a solid point… Now what? - 11/03/16 11:08 PM

When your pup gets his first few solid points on wild birds:

Do you walk on in without hesitation to flush and shoot the birds, or do you get close, and let your pup stay solid as long as he will before the birds flush or he jumps in on them?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Your pup gets a solid point… Now what? - 11/03/16 11:28 PM

I zip my mouth and flush as soon as I get there. Later I will slow down and let the pup stay in the trance. It's my own theory but I think a bird dog goes into a trance when they are pointing or backing.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Your pup gets a solid point… Now what? - 11/03/16 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: pharmvet

Do you walk on in without hesitation to flush and shoot the birds, or do you get close, and let your pup stay solid as long as he will before the birds flush or he jumps in on them?

As said, keep my mouth shut. Then walk in without hesitation and flush the birds. If possible I walk around wide to approach from the side or an angle rather than from behind.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Your pup gets a solid point… Now what? - 11/04/16 01:17 AM

I eventually take my time and introduce a few distractions while training with pen raised birds, but I don't take any chances with wild birds.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Your pup gets a solid point… Now what? - 11/04/16 01:54 AM

Keep him in birds and kill some for him.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Your pup gets a solid point… Now what? - 11/04/16 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Originally Posted By: pharmvet

As said, keep my mouth shut. Then walk in without hesitation and flush the birds. If possible I walk around wide to approach from the side or an angle rather than from behind.

^^^^THIS^^^^

And even get around front if possible. Get in the pup's line of vision while it is in the scent cone. KILL A BIRD!!! if the pup has been introduced to the gun. Pick out one going away from the pup, not one over his head.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum