Texas Hunting Forum

Pheasant Hunting for a Novice

Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 02:05 AM

I've never hunted any upland birds. My brother in law invited me on his annual January pheasant trip in Kansas. Does anyone have any tips for someone that's never hunted this type of bird before?

Anything y'all can suggest would be appreciated. I don't mind reading links that you think would be informative or if you feel like typing out a response, that would be great too. I'm very excited but it's also making me a little nervous.

I'm going to have to buy clothing and boots for this, so if you want to make suggestions on that, I'd appreciate that too. I know it's going to be colder than a dead witch's nipple face down in the snow in January in Kansas.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 03:17 AM

The best advice I was ever given for public pheasant hunting came from a bar owner in Kansas. "Always believe there is a bird in front of you. Always be ready".

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
The best advice I was ever given for public pheasant hunting came from a bar owner in Kansas. "Always believe there is a bird in front of you. Always be ready".

I like it. up
Posted By: RayB

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 11:45 AM

Buy or borrow an upland shotgun that 7# duck gun of yours will wear you out
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 12:00 PM

your brother n law should be the one to get info from
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 12:27 PM

If public hunting be ready to walk walk and walk some more, we avg 7.5 miles a day walking through the brush in SD. Bring a neck gator to keep that Jan wind from blowing down your neck. Broken in boots, good pants or chaps that can hold up to brush. Always be ready is a great point, you never know where that bird will come from.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 12:30 PM

Go to You tube and watch some videos. Well, first ask him if they hunt with dogs or drive the birds with a line of hunters with blockers at the other end of the field and watch videos of that type. At least you will have an idea of whats coming. Nothing to it either way, just be safe, wear some orange and have fun.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 02:49 PM

In January it is most likely driven birds.
Take good boots, wool socks (much better than cotton or artificial--they are cooler, and your feet don't blister or get cold from sweat,) clothing that you can layer. A goretex or equivalent outer jacket.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 03:06 PM

layered clothing and not too bulky if possible. As warm as that thick coat is, makes it tougher to shoulder the gun in a rush if you are not used to it.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 04:46 PM

practice shooting a car moving at 12 mph ---------- if you can hit that, you can hit a pheasant.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 05:45 PM

Take plenty of warm clothes.
Our last day up there last January, it was 17 degrees with a 25 mph north wind when we hit the field that morning.

I've hunted cold many times but, dude....

I shot three that morning though.

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 05:59 PM

Being new. Have everything ready to go before you get to the field, so all you have to do is throw on your vest, pull out your shotgun, walk through the gate, and load your gun. Don't be the guy your hunting partners have to wait on. If there are birds in the field near where your parked and you spend a lot of time adjusting gear, slamming doors, talking, etc, those late season educated birds will be moving to the other side of the field before you ever start hunting. This goes back to always be ready; always believe. Be ready from the moment you first leave the truck to the moment you get back to the truck. Do this and you will shoot the first bird at every stop often within 50 yards of the truck. If you have a sling on your shotgun, take it off.

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 06:03 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone (except Colt45).

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

That's a good point. Would a 20g work ok for pheasants?

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

Take plenty of warm clothes.
Our last day up there last January, it was 17 degrees with a 25 mph north wind when we hit the field that morning.

I've hunted cold many times but, dude....

I shot three that morning though.

Yeah, that's going to be tough. Cold is one thing; cold and high winds are another.

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Late season pheasants are pretty spooky, you may want the extra shot. Go with 3" if you take the 20.
DH where you at?

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 06:11 PM

I do my best pheasant hunting with a side by side 20 and a heavy load #6 shot. Easy to carry at ready. Light and fast to the shoulder.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 06:29 PM

Water, chapstick and sunglasses if snow is on the ground. Been there, done that and going again in January.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 06:33 PM

All I ever hunt pheasants with is a 20 or a 28.

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Cajun Raider
Water, chapstick and sunglasses if snow is on the ground. Been there, done that and going again in January.

up Sunblock chapstick no matter if it snows or not.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 06:59 PM

Good thermal underwear. Silk socks and gloves as a base layer, they wick away moisture very well and make a thinner pair of gloves
and socks possible...especially gloves, bulky gloves make it difficult. I used to wear a an insulated pair of Isotoners and they were about the best I found for warmth and shootability, not sure they make them anymore. Facemask. Lots of people wear gators, they're great for keeping junk and snow out of your boots and used to be found cheap at army/navy stores.
20 ga. is fine. Remember that the back half of a rooster in flight is nothing but feathers and a wounded rooster will run like Jesse Owens! P_102

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 11:05 PM

Late season pheasants are pretty spooky, you may want the extra shot. Go with 3" if you take the 20.
DH where you at?

I'm in FW. Not sure where we are hunting in Kansas or what the details are but I'll find out Sunday when my BIL comes in town. I've been reading and watching videos, and it definitely seems like they are weary of any noise or anything being off.

I don't own a 20g but my wife wants a shotgun and she shoots a 20g waaay better than my 12. Thinking maybe if killing two birds with one stone.

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I do my best pheasant hunting with a side by side 20 and a heavy load #6 shot. Easy to carry at ready. Light and fast to the shoulder.

Good to know. Also thanks to reeltexan, who suggested similar.

Originally Posted By: Cajun Raider

Also very good to know, but I've been skiing and around snow many times. I've learned the ins and outs of snow protection for the face and eyes. Always a good reminder.

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102
Good thermal underwear. Silk socks and gloves as a base layer, they wick away moisture very well and make a thinner pair of gloves
and socks possible...especially gloves, bulky gloves make it difficult. I used to wear a an insulated pair of Isotoners and they were about the best I found for warmth and shootability, not sure they make them anymore. Facemask. Lots of people wear gators, they're great for keeping junk and snow out of your boots and used to be found cheap at army/navy stores.
20 ga. is fine. Remember that the back half of a rooster in flight is nothing but feathers and a wounded rooster will run like Jesse Owens! P_102

Thank, you sir. That's all good advice.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 11:12 PM

I've been following this thread closely. 'All good information about keeping warm, scatter gun, and shot selection. If you want to kill birds, fake a limp and ask to be a blocker. grin
Posted By: P_102

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/20/16 11:31 PM

roflmao Our group is getting up in years...last time out we definitely had more blockers than walkers by the end of the first day! P_102
Posted By: blanked

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/21/16 12:48 AM

Practice shooting with the coat you plan on wearing. Heavy clothing changes your gun mount considerably. And shots are few and far between more times than not

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/21/16 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: blanked
Practice shooting with the coat you plan on wearing. Heavy clothing changes your gun mount considerably. And shots are few and far between more times than not

Yes, just like teal season and January are different for ducks. I'll shoot some clays with my upland jacket though. That's good advice.

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/21/16 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I've been following this thread closely. 'All good information about keeping warm, scatter gun, and shot selection. If you want to kill birds, fake a limp and ask to be a blocker. grin

I guess I'll need to know what a blocker is. confused2
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/21/16 11:00 AM

that's a guy that runs interference for the ball carrier, in this case blocking the pheasants from running out the end of the field

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/21/16 12:40 PM

The problem with buying a shotgun that fits your wife is it will not fit you. I bought the wife a Beretta A-390 kids gun, way too short for me. I just had to buy myself a Beretta A-400 Xplor, darn the luck confused2
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/21/16 01:05 PM

DH where you at?

I use Prairie Storm 3in #6 in my 20 and it gets the job done no problem, make sure you have a couple of different chokes with you to you can match conditions you are hunting. Also use a 28 now an then.

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/21/16 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45

that's a guy that runs interference for the ball carrier, in this case blocking the pheasants from running out the end of the field

Thank you!

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/21/16 05:01 PM

The problem with buying a shotgun that fits your wife is it will not fit you. I bought the wife a Beretta A-390 kids gun, way too short for me. I just had to buy myself a Beretta A-400 Xplor, darn the luck confused2

I wasn't going to tell her about youth models. peep

She shot an A-400 at the range. That's what we rented when I wanted her to try a 20g. She shot it well and really liked it.

Might have to just buy myself a new one, also.

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/21/16 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Eyesofahunter

DH where you at?

I use Prairie Storm 3in #6 in my 20 and it gets the job done no problem, make sure you have a couple of different chokes with you to you can match conditions you are hunting. Also use a 28 now an then.

up
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/22/16 11:00 PM

I've never hunted any upland birds. My brother in law invited me on his annual January pheasant trip in Kansas. Does anyone have any tips for someone that's never hunted this type of bird before?

Anything y'all can suggest would be appreciated. I don't mind reading links that you think would be informative or if you feel like typing out a response, that would be great too. I'm very excited but it's also making me a little nervous.

I'm going to have to buy clothing and boots for this, so if you want to make suggestions on that, I'd appreciate that too. I know it's going to be colder than a dead witch's nipple face down in the snow in January in Kansas.

Insulated Muck Boots have served me well in the South Dakota hunts I've been on. I would recommend you shoot as much trap, skeet, and such as you can between now and then.

Re: Pheasant Hunting for a Novice - 10/23/16 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: KingwoodCat

Insulated Muck Boots have served me well in the South Dakota hunts I've been on. I would recommend you shoot as much trap, skeet, and such as you can between now and then.

Thank you, sir.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum