Texas Hunting Forum

Quail forecast

Posted By: tx hunter

Quail forecast - 09/26/16 01:48 PM

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/planning/quail_forecast/forecast/

Anyone wanna loan me a dog? Lol
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail forecast - 09/26/16 02:12 PM

Down in my area. Looks great in most of the state.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Quail forecast - 09/26/16 02:25 PM

At our new place bird counts doubled last year, then doubled that again this year. I'm looking forward to December.

Re: Quail forecast - 09/26/16 02:43 PM

Thanks a bunch for posting. The quail forecast was how I found THF.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Quail forecast - 09/26/16 02:50 PM

I have been wondering when they were going to post this. Looks like the rolling plans is going to have an unbelievable year. Souh Texas looks to be down from last year but still decent.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Quail forecast - 09/26/16 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: tx hunter

Hell there's so many quail you don't hardly need a dog. Just grab a gun and go walk around. You'll run into some coveys.
Posted By: Sailor Soane

Re: Quail forecast - 09/26/16 03:38 PM

up
Posted By: Eastwood

Re: Quail forecast - 09/26/16 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: duckbill

Hell there's so many quail you don't hardly need a dog. Just grab a gun and go walk around. You'll run into some coveys.

That's how we roll. Two friends and myself shot 27 wild quail just marching through the brush one day last year.
Posted By: 1100aggie

Re: Quail forecast - 09/27/16 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Eastwood

That's how we roll. Two friends and myself shot 27 wild quail just marching through the brush one day last year.

Darn right.

Re: Quail forecast - 09/27/16 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: 1100aggie
Originally Posted By: Eastwood

Darn right.

I'm just the opposite. I'd rather point them than shoot them.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Quail forecast - 09/27/16 01:15 PM

I'm with Bill, although I'd rather point them and shoot them so the dog gets to retrieve the bird and be rewarded and I get to put something on my plate for dinner.
Posted By: longgunner

Re: Quail forecast - 09/28/16 10:54 PM

I find this forecast amazing.

I remember all the doom and gloom a few years ago. I even began to question the methodology of the forecast.... I was also searching for birds with canes and seeing/eye dogs due to eye worms......

I really appreciate what Dr Rollins and his team are doing and believe there is real merit there.... I also believe that Mother Nature is amazing. You cannot discount the value of good rain....

This should be a great year to hunt quail, better enjoy it, because it may be another 7-10 years before we get it this good again.

This is a great example of life though: When it is time to throw in the towel, just give it some more time.... Situations Change, and sometimes they change quick!

Cheers,

JR
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum