Texas Hunting Forum

What food are yall using?

Posted By: Wacm

What food are yall using? - 09/13/16 08:50 PM

Our breeder recommended wild blue for my dog when she was a pup. She's almost a year old and I've been thinking of adult food for her. I see that my dogs coat is very shiny and she's got lots of energy. It's expensive food and I'm not positive if I could do better. Wild Blue seems a little overboard on the organics. For example the have alligator and fish flavor. Or salmon and elk flavor. Seems like nonsense. We've been feeding her the puppy chicken dinner flavor which has chicken and veggies.
I want to buy good quality food for her. Here are the numbers for wild blue adult chicken dinner food. 25lb bag goes for 50bucks

Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/13/16 09:06 PM

Go with Purina Pro Plan and don't ever look back.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/13/16 10:01 PM

I've heard good things about Purina Pro Plan.

I personally use Dr. Tim's and order it through a company called Petflow

http://drtims.com/premium-pet-foods/

https://www.petflow.com/
Posted By: Chet

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/13/16 10:10 PM

Pro Plan Sport 30/20, year round, adult and pups. Every 12th bag free at the feed store.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/13/16 10:53 PM

I started using Purina Dog Chow in the summer only years ago. I now use it for the full year.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/13/16 11:53 PM

Purina pro plan regular exercise blend. 26/16 mix in off season. Will start changing over to 30/20 mix at the end of the month
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/14/16 12:00 AM

I'm different. I feed this and really like it. I've tried quite a few over the last year but this works best for me 4 Health in Salmon and Potato, http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4health-salmon-potato-formula-for-adult-dogs-35-lb-bag
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/14/16 12:28 AM

I feed the tractor supply 4 health, grain free turkey and potatoe.
Posted By: Sailor Soane

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/14/16 12:29 AM

We use Taste of the Wild with our Saluki and have for years. She is now 9 and can outrun many dogs younger than her and always gets compliments on health and condition from vet.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/
Posted By: huntwest

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/14/16 03:32 AM

I have fed Merrick for years and my dogs do good on it.
I did a very scientific test a couple years ago to see which food my dogs digested the most of.
I feed them the same amount every morning and noted how many piles of poop were in the kennel before afternoon feed.
Merrick won hands down, never more than one pile.
Science Diet and Blue Buffalo tied for second with one or two piles.
Purina Pro was worst with two or more pikes every day.

I'm sure his is flawed and I will get bashed but it makes sense if they ain't pooping it then it is staying in their body and helping build muscle or fat.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/14/16 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: duckbill
I've heard good things about Purina Pro Plan.

I personally use Dr. Tim's and order it through a company called Petflow

http://drtims.com/premium-pet-foods/

https://www.petflow.com/

Best out there IMO

I feed Dr. Tims Pursuit 30/20 and order from
Chewy.com

None of that Corn Gluten protien crap that's in ProPlan....just threw that in there to get the Purina guys riled up!
Posted By: arandy

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/14/16 11:30 AM

I started feeding Victor Dog Food several years ago and have been well satisfied with how my bird dogs and pets do on it. I feed the 26/18 in the green bag mostly but they make other analysis' if that does not suit you. My vet says my dogs are in excellent health and their vigor and stamina are quite acceptable. I feed 8 dogs and they all like it and the kennel clean up indicates good digestion. Locally (for me)made in Mount Pleasant, TX.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/14/16 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
I have fed Merrick for years and my dogs do good on it.
I did a very scientific test a couple years ago to see which food my dogs digested the most of.
I feed them the same amount every morning and noted how many piles of poop were in the kennel before afternoon feed.
Merrick won hands down, never more than one pile.
Science Diet and Blue Buffalo tied for second with one or two piles.
Purina Pro was worst with two or more pikes every day.

I'm sure his is flawed and I will get bashed but it makes sense if they ain't pooping it then it is staying in their body and helping build muscle or fat.
THIS AND THIS, have tried about every thing in 50yrs, less poop means better digestion...
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/14/16 02:09 PM

Some of yall's dogs eat better than I do.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/14/16 03:19 PM

Diamond Naturals, same for 9 years.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/15/16 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
I'm different. I feed this and really like it. I've tried quite a few over the last year but this works best for me 4 Health in Salmon and Potato, http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4health-salmon-potato-formula-for-adult-dogs-35-lb-bag

I started to feed the 4 Health sporting dog 30/20 a coulpe of months ago, It is working good for around the house training. During the winter my dogs do not do good on purina pro plan or the 4 Health, it has to be a mixture of Diamond Sporting Dog mixed with either 4 Health or Purina. For some reason this is strictly for my pointers. My hog dogs get strictly diamond sporting dog.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/15/16 11:59 AM

A good resource is www.dogfoodadvisor.com.

All major brands are listed, analyzed and rated.
Posted By: CinchMan

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/15/16 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet
Pro Plan Sport 30/20, year round, adult and pups. Every 12th bag free at the feed store.

Agreed. I feed all my dogs this year round.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/15/16 04:59 PM

I really don't get all the hype on Pro Plan. One of the most overrated and over priced dog foods out there. IMO. Much better options out there for a cheaper price. (takes very little research to confirm this) But if your dogs do good on it, and you don't mind paying more for less, go for it. My kennel didn't do well on it at all. I use Diamond Natural Lamb & Rice. If I switched, it would be to Victor.
Posted By: TXPanhandler

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/19/16 11:02 PM

4 health in the summer and Merrick from October to March! Merrick is the only thing that will keep weight on mine during the season.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/21/16 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: TXPanhandler
4 health in the summer and Merrick from October to March! Merrick is the only thing that will keep weight on mine during the season.
and its TEXAS made
Posted By: Wacm

Re: What food are yall using? - 09/21/16 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan
A good resource is www.dogfoodadvisor.com.

All major brands are listed, analyzed and rated.

Wow this site is amazing. There is a huge gap in Protein vs fat. I'm guessing it depends on your dog. Some sport dog brands go as low as 26grams of protein and some go as high as 39. All the five star foods are the most digestible proteins. I'm using a fairly high one now. I'm going to try a higher quality food with a lower protein and see how she does.

Maybe someone can shed light on this. Maybe I'm splitting hairs and it doesn't matter. I know there are fast burning proteins and slower burning ones. There's so many things to learn:)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum