Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 03:29 PM

Really??
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 03:34 PM

I'd just buy a new hunter orange vest and move on. Life is too short
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 03:44 PM

Interesting return response.

I'd shake it out and get a needle and thread. Cool old vest. If you don't/can't sew it, then I bet if you ask in a Ladies Sunday School class at church one of them would probably enjoy repairing for you and you both gain satisfaction.

other option is just take to tailor or local dry cleaners and they'll sew it up but probably not as quality.

I'm sure were you were asking about opinion on the letter. I wouldn't give it a second thought and move on.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 03:48 PM

is that a satchel
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 03:50 PM

I see it as you are a whinny wimp and probably cause problems wherever you go. One stitch came out and you send them an old worn out vest back????? If I had been at Filson I would have thrown it away and never answered you.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 03:53 PM

DIY! barf
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt
Interesting return response.

I'd shake it out and get a needle and thread. Cool old vest. If you don't/can't sew it, then I bet if you ask in a Ladies Sunday School class at church one of them would probably enjoy repairing for you and you both gain satisfaction.

other option is just take to tailor or local dry cleaners and they'll sew it up but probably not as quality.

I'm sure were you were asking about opinion on the letter. I wouldn't give it a second thought and move on.

I agree with this, I would find someone to fix it locally. It's a cool vest and when you decide to get rid of it holler at me. up
Posted By: pharmvet

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
I see it as you are a whinny wimp and probably cause problems wherever you go. One stitch came out and you send them an old worn out vest back????? If I had been at Filson I would have thrown it away and never answered you.

I appreciate your honesty on this matter. I'll bet you are a joy to be around.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: pharmvet

Haha.

Seems kinda picky of them yeah.

How old is the bag?

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: MS1454
Originally Posted By: pharmvet

Haha.

Seems kinda picky of them yeah.

20+ yrs
How old is the bag?
Posted By: Chet

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 04:21 PM

It's their policy, you bought it from them with the policy so live with it.

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet
It's their policy, you bought it from them with the policy so live with it.

You are certainly correct that it is their policy and I'm gonna have to if I want them to fix it. I just wanted to get others opinions because it sometimes hard to take that "look in the mirror".
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 05:38 PM

I own the same vest and I love it, along with all of my other Filson brand gear. Just clean it out good and send it back. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to ask that the item be somewhat clean.

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 06:41 PM

rolleyes
Posted By: twostrike

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 07:51 PM

In 2012 when Filson sold to their current owners the company changed. I was on their Pro Staff up until that time. They lost the spirit where they would have fixed or repaired the bag without thinking about it. They are in the Outdoors business, their stuff gets used and I have seen many in worse shape repaired, but like so much of our society now it is throw away and do not take pride in what they make. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 08:29 PM

Just clean it and send it back.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 08:32 PM

If that one little spot with the threads coming out was the only reason you sent it back, I would taken a large needle and thread to it and hand sewn it myself. Their lifetime warranty is a little tricky in that the warranty is through the lifetime of the vest through normal use, not your lifetime. They just may trash it if they inspect it. Or try to sell you on their restoration service. Is the secondary stitching I see from a previous repair?

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: twostrike
In 2012 when Filson sold to their current owners the company changed. I was on their Pro Staff up until that time. They lost the spirit where they would have fixed or repaired the bag without thinking about it. They are in the Outdoors business, their stuff gets used and I have seen many in worse shape repaired, but like so much of our society now it is throw away and do not take pride in what they make. Just my 2 cents.

This is exactly how I feel about it.
- should I have read the repair policy- yes
- should I have vacuumed out the bag- yes

I guess I just envisioned a "by hunters / outdoorsmen for hunters / outdoorsmen" repair department. What few feathers / grass were in the bag were stuck to the bottom in the seam. The part I needed fixed was n the front pocket and there was no need to even look in the game pouch. To say that they were unable to inspect the bag is ridiculous. It came back to me folded neatly in a plastic bag so someone handled it more to determine it was unfit for inspection that they would have to simply fix the suspender / front pocket.

By the book- I'm clearly in the wrong. But I agree with you about the "spirit" of the situation. Instead of someone ingrained with a hunting culture, it appears to me that there is a "NO SOUP FOR YOU" person in charge bound and determined to "teach me a lesson". Which I suppose they have!

I wasn't asking anything of them that I wouldn't have done. To me the feathers and grass in the bag is not an issue. It's been in my house ever since bird season was over . Not looking to bash Filson as I have lots of their products and love them. Just surprised / disappointed.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 09:13 PM

I had that vest and the same thing happened the 2nd season. I replaced it with the Orvis version of it. Way way better bag. You won't look back.

We should expect a lot out of Filson for what they charge. You already know but I'll say it and not out of any disrespect to you. The bag looks rough and it would have been a great courtesy to clean it. You expected courtesy from them but didn't give them any when you sent it like that.

They should've just fixed or replaced it though. They wasted your time and money. I'm guess they lost a customer. I wouldn't blame you.
Posted By: yallduck

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 09:25 PM

Really
looks like bags have been rode hard out up wet
I have same bags 20 yrs
your bags look trashy not taken care of
spider wire needle to sew
and clean n re wax
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/08/16 10:25 PM

"This is posing a health hazard to our repair team.............." roflmao That's rich. I wouldn't send it back but probably would have never sent it in the first place.
Posted By: Windrider

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/09/16 12:35 AM

That's a great old vest that full of character and stories.

Would it have been nice of you to vacuum it out before sending it in: yep.

Would the Filson of old fixed that anyway: most likely.

Is it surprising that the new manny pamby Filson who is destroying the heritage of the brand and doing their best to turn it into the Abercombie and Fitch of the 2020s turn their nose up at it: not at all.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I know a professional seamstress with industrial sewing machines who can be found many times at the Indian and Harley rallies sewing patches on biker jackets. If you need that kind of assistance PM me.

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/09/16 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Windrider
That's a great old vest that full of character and stories.

Would it have been nice of you to vacuum it out before sending it in: yep.

Would the Filson of old fixed that anyway: most likely.

Is it surprising that the new manny pamby Filson who is destroying the heritage of the brand and doing their best to turn it into the Abercombie and Fitch of the 2020s turn their nose up at it: not at all.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I know a professional seamstress with industrial sewing machines who can be found many times at the Indian and Harley rallies sewing patches on biker jackets. If you need that kind of assistance PM me.

Thanks! I may take you up on that!
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/09/16 01:57 AM

Seattle isn't inhabited with the same people as it was in 1897. But on the other hand your bag could use a turn over and shaking out of the @#$* in it.
Posted By: nak

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/09/16 02:43 AM

Well my wife wouldn't fix something of mine until it was cleaned, so it seems like a pretty reasonable request.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/09/16 12:11 PM

yep
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/09/16 06:59 PM

Really I thought your bag was fairly clean considering the nature of the bag. I have the same one and am disappointed to hear this. I would have sent them a letter back informing them of their poor attitude towards customer service and standing behind a product. Probably mocking the way they worded their letter. The part that really bothers me is that they said there is no guarantee it will be mended.

Take a look at Patagonia's practices, previously I would have said Filson was in a similar category although not as progressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7muOgpX8vaQ

https://www.patagonia.com/worn-wear-repairs/

I would rather buy something and throw it away(The opposite of what I usually do). Than spend a lot more money to buy something thinking you are getting a premium product with support and service to go with it. Only to be fooled and then chastised for it's cleanliness.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/09/16 07:27 PM

Yeah I'd expect something to be cleaned if I was asked to repair it, just knock the feathers out and give spray it down with some smell goods to give it the appearance you gave it a deep clean prior to sending it back.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/09/16 07:53 PM

Wow we're still talking about "the bag". Two pages about "the bag". It's bird season......
Posted By: maximum

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/09/16 09:05 PM

for what you probably paid for it
you think the smart [censored] yuppie bastards
would just send you a new one and
write it off. that's one reason i
quit buying stuff like that. i kill
deer with $200.00 rifle, clean 'em
with a $8.00 old hickory knife, wearing
$9.99 on clearance boots. catch big fish
with a $25.00 pawn shop rod and reel.
etc.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/11/16 04:56 PM

Wash it.
Take it to a boot repair guy.
Don't buy Filson again, overpriced don't stand by merchandise, there are better vests out there.

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/15/16 04:03 AM

Get a flute learn how to play the brown noise... Play it into the bag... Close it ship it back to them... They open it... Sweet victory
Posted By: BDB

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/16/16 02:42 AM

I would have fixed it myself. But if I had sent it in, it would have been cleaned up a bit. It looks like it has blood stains in it. Thats lack of respect on your part. They have women sempstress I'm sure. I can only speak for my wife but she supports me and the boys hunting all we want....she would throw that bag away if a stranger sent it to her in that shape.
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/16/16 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Get a flute learn how to play the brown noise... Play it into the bag... Close it ship it back to them... They open it... Sweet victory

I had visions and laffed my arse off....
Posted By: therancher

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/16/16 08:18 AM

Originally Posted By: maximum
for what you probably paid for it
you think the smart [censored] yuppie bastards
would just send you a new one and
write it off. that's one reason i
quit buying stuff like that. i kill
deer with $200.00 rifle, clean 'em
with a $8.00 old hickory knife, wearing
$9.99 on clearance boots. catch big fish
with a $25.00 pawn shop rod and reel.
etc.

I put my quail in a wire fish basket. I don't get the affinity for leather bags you have to clean.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/16/16 11:18 PM

Filson vest had there time years ago but other strap vest have passed them up. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a quillomene san carlos
Posted By: Sailor Soane

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/16/16 11:29 PM

Quote:
I put my quail in a wire fish basket. I don't get the affinity for leather bags you have to clean.

You wear a wire fish basket on a multi-hour hunt??
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/16/16 11:43 PM

I think you should have shaken it out.
But I think they could have shaken it out and done the dang repair. Their letter looks like a response from a man-purse carrying metrosexual, not a company that supposedly caters to hunters.

In short, the whole episode is stupid....
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/16/16 11:43 PM

I feel left out. I don't walk enough anymore to have an opinion on boots and the dogs bring the birds to my Gator

Posted By: Cass

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/17/16 05:19 PM

I have to say that is pretty darn dirty. smile If you had at least shaken the feathers out they probably would have just fixed it, ha! I honestly don't think that is too much for them to ask. I just hose my Filson chaps down and the mud and blood come right off.

I've used their chaps for years. They work great to repel brush and water, and they wear like iron. I've never needed a repair, but it's good to know they will.

Cass
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/17/16 07:06 PM

Poor customer service I think. I would repair myself and would not do business with them in the future.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/19/16 01:40 AM

With a vest that old, like others have said I would not send it back to them. If they decide to replace it they'll just throw it in the dumpster. I wouldn't want to take the chance of losing it when you could probably find multiple people to fix it for you. As far as the letter, I suspect the person who wrote it didn't want to get any feathers in his man bun.
Posted By: Sailor Soane

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 09/19/16 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
man bun.

Hah!

I've bought a few things from Filson over the past 10-12 years. Some of it is meh and some of it will last a lifetime. I actually see them sending it back to you with a letter as a sign of a good company - most other busnesses would have just thrown it in the trash and blown you off when you called to inquire.

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 10/14/16 08:02 PM

We'll, as Fox news would say , I'm all about Fair and Balanced reporting so .....
Got my vest back From Filson today. I must say its a quality repair job. No charge. Should be good for another decade. (After and before pics)

[URL=http://s140.photobucket.com/user/pharmvet/media/image.jpg2_75.jpg.html][/URL
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 10/14/16 08:24 PM

Well, since I am bored out of my mind...
Wouldn't it have been hilarious if everyone on here got together and decided to respond with something along the lines of:

"horrible customer service! ban them"

Just to see if you had gone back to them with that dirty as freakin hell bag?

When you wash your clothes, you empty the pockets and make sure it is free of debris. When you wash dishes, you rinse off the loose food.

Sending it in looking like that and expecting them not to send you a letter that says, "we are not your mom, clean your crap up and take care of it before you come whining to us to sew it up for you" would be naive.

Not trying to be mean, heh.. but get the point home...I'd expect my children to do something like that...sorta like people asking you to help them move and when you get there, they have not packed.

I would tell them, "Welp... call me back when you get done packing!" and walk my butt out.. lol If people are going to be lazy, so am I.

:P

But then again.. I am bored out of my mind and could just be in a grumpy mood.. lol

Glad you got it fixed though! Hate to lose a worn in special item with history.

R
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 10/14/16 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Sailor Soane
Originally Posted By: Grizz
man bun.

Hah!

I've bought a few things from Filson over the past 10-12 years. Some of it is meh and some of it will last a lifetime. I actually see them sending it back to you with a letter as a sign of a good company - most other busnesses would have just thrown it in the trash and blown you off when you called to inquire.

I agree, I would of thrown it away. Wouldn't of taken much to just stick a shop vac down in there.

Glad to hear they repaired it for you after you cleaned it and sent it back to them.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 10/17/16 07:10 PM

I use the exact same vest and have for years.
Geez. Yours looks kinda clean compared to mine. All I've ever done is shake it out.

That'll happen when you haul dirty birds around in it.
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Please give me your opinion on this matter - 10/17/16 07:42 PM

All the people above that said to live with it are wrong. i do agree that it appears like an easy fix but it's complete [censored] that filson would send it back with that letter. Not sure what health hazard they are talking about. Just further proof of the pussification of america. They are supposed to be a hunting company.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum