Texas Hunting Forum

East Texas quail

Posted By: Palehorse

East Texas quail - 09/03/16 01:14 PM

Like yall, I'm reading about how the quail populations in Texas are on the rebound. I have hunted around Montgomery, Walker, and Polk counties for most of my life and have seen quail only twice.
Have any of you East Texas folks been seeing any quail?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: East Texas quail - 09/03/16 09:25 PM

Not a single one in Freestone or Limestone county......
Posted By: Coldwind

Re: East Texas quail - 09/04/16 12:13 AM

I think that the area around Fulshear, Texas is considered the Coastal Prairie. However, geographically it is east of Dallas. I have a family friend that lives near Fulshear and occasionally sees coveys of wild quail in that area. Not a lot but seeing some is a good sign.
Posted By: Chet

Re: East Texas quail - 09/04/16 12:57 AM

Heard some whistling around lake fork this past spring. So there's that.
Posted By: pharmvet

Re: East Texas quail - 09/04/16 03:48 AM

Nothing in Red River or Bowie counties. But we are seeing Black Bear. The irony
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: East Texas quail - 09/04/16 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Coldwind
I think that the area around Fulshear, Texas is considered the Coastal Prairie. However, geographically it is east of Dallas. I have a family friend that lives near Fulshear and occasionally sees coveys of wild quail in that area. Not a lot but seeing some is a good sign.

I live just a few miles from Fulshear. Hunted a pasture off Fulshear Katy road last year. We found a couple of coveys.
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: East Texas quail - 09/07/16 04:55 PM

There ought to be a few coveys in the far east Natl forests of TX and into Louisiana. They like the long-leaf pine savannas.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: East Texas quail - 09/07/16 05:11 PM

I haven't seen a quail in Lee county in probably 25 years.
Posted By: pine knott

Re: East Texas quail - 09/07/16 07:38 PM

I see quail and sasquatch with the same regularity. Used to be a few birds hanging around the clearcuts, but not any more.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: East Texas quail - 09/07/16 07:54 PM

I saw a pair of Bobs in my yard in 2004 when I was living on Lake Palestine. That's the only quail I saw in the long 5 years I had to live in east Texas.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: East Texas quail - 09/07/16 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: pine knott
I see quail and sasquatch with the same regularity.

roflmao
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: East Texas quail - 09/07/16 09:01 PM

I live in Yantis proper, but rode the rural roads with my pup on a golf cart or Polaris almost daily. I've seen and heard more quail this summer than ever before. Nothing like I seen out west dove hunting this past week, but still, its great to hear these majestic birds here near home.

Sadly, I had to lay to rest my companion of 17 years a couple of weeks ago. I have no doubt those rides we took lengthened her life considerably. She looked forward to them everyday, rain, shine, sleet or snow.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum