Texas Hunting Forum

New to quail hunting

Posted By: Sailor Soane

New to quail hunting - 08/10/16 03:24 PM

I've recently moved to Austin and am wondering if there is any quail hunting in the area. Browsing the forums it doesn't seem too promising, but thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has had any luck.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: New to quail hunting - 08/10/16 03:41 PM

there are LOTS of quail, but ---------get your wallet out -------- dog cost $1000 plus $2500 to have it trained -------- quail leases are crazy,,,, plan on spending around 3-4 K for a lease. I"d suggest day hunt tame quail for around $300 to see if you really like it.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: New to quail hunting - 08/10/16 03:51 PM

I disagree. I have been on quail only leases since 04, have not and will not pay more than $2,000 - $2,500 for a lease (have had 4 leases since 04 and all but one included house), and you can get a good pup for $500 and train it yourself (of course you are a little behind for this year).
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: New to quail hunting - 08/10/16 04:06 PM

You can't get halfass into quail hunting. Dogs are an expensive year round responsibility. You may want to go with some buddies and make sure it's worth the effort. It's a whole lot cheaper to make friends with guys that quail hunt and tag along with them.

Don't get me wrong you can quail hunt without a dog but it's not much fun.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: New to quail hunting - 08/10/16 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Sailor Soane
I've recently moved to Austin and am wondering if there is any quail hunting in the area. Browsing the forums it doesn't seem too promising, but thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has had any luck.

I'm the Austin area ? No but your not far from South texas.

Re: New to quail hunting - 08/10/16 04:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'd prefer to tag along some this season to get a feel for it. I've had coursing dogs for the past 10 years, so that kind of expense isn't novel - but firsthand knowledge of the sport would be valuable for planning and training.

Do you recommend simply paying for guided outings, or are there fairly straightforward places to meet folks who wouldn't mind a 3rd (or 4th, etc) wheel?
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: New to quail hunting - 08/10/16 06:30 PM

Get yourself up to the Dallas area and come try a guided quail hunt at Poetry Shooting Club. 35 miles east of Dallas. Good birds and dogs
Posted By: MS1454

Re: New to quail hunting - 08/10/16 08:20 PM

I bet you can find some people on here who would take you. Also, there are some public land opportunities which would be the cheapest way to go but the dates are few and far between but might be just what you need to get your feet wet.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: New to quail hunting - 08/10/16 09:46 PM

Run out to Giddings on the second weekend of November to the NSTRA trial.

November 12-13, 2016
Giddings, TX
Open Dbl/Dbl
Jim Myers
210-383-2722
cyclejimmyers@yahoo.com
Entry Fee: $45
Posted By: fishfree

Re: New to quail hunting - 08/10/16 10:24 PM

A dog will find quail that you might just walk by without it flushing.

But you can still hunt without a dog; you will walk more and shoot less. Still a lot of enjoyment.

I walk fence & tree lines on public land (don't shoot across a fence over private property) and along dirt 2-tracks on public land. Quail also like large patches of cactus and brush where the branches droop down to the ground and provide cover.

If I flush a covey, whether I shoot or not, I wait for the recall/assembly call and move off in that direction; but only once. Thereafter I leave that group alone and go off seeking another one to harass.

good luck
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: New to quail hunting - 08/16/16 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Sailor Soane

You are not too far from Chaparral WMA (~ 3 hr drive from Austin). Chaparral has both public and postcard hunts for quail. You will have to purchase the $48 annual public land permit (in case you didn't already know that). I always thought it would be pretty cool if a bunch of guys from this forum got together and put in for a post card hunt or something similar. I'm always eager for a new adventure and have never hunted that unit. I am not as savvy quail hunter as many of the guys on this forum, but do have a few 'cards up my sleeve' to pursue bobwhites.

Re: New to quail hunting - 09/13/16 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Run out to Giddings on the second weekend of November to the NSTRA trial.

November 12-13, 2016
Giddings, TX
Open Dbl/Dbl
Jim Myers
210-383-2722
cyclejimmyers@yahoo.com
Entry Fee: $45

This looks interesting - is it ok to just show up and watch? Pictures on the website make it look like a fairly closed event.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: New to quail hunting - 09/13/16 06:37 PM

It's open. Everyone is invited.

Re: New to quail hunting - 09/13/16 07:47 PM

Great. I'll go check it out - many thanks for the heads up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum