Texas Hunting Forum

Parakeet hunting

Posted By: goosehunter51

Parakeet hunting - 08/06/16 03:03 PM

Hey!
I was just looking at a site called birdhuntingintexas.com and they spoke of a parakeet hunt. I would be interested in a guided hunt like this if anyone could hook me up. They even had a picture on this site. Thanks in advance for your help.

Greg
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/06/16 08:35 PM

Never heard of it....small targets....sounds challenging....
Posted By: Chet

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/06/16 08:42 PM

Hunted parakeet several times down around Waco. We didn't use dogs, but had a guide with a parrot that would call them in. Once the parrot had them coming in they would settle into a pile of bird seed the guide put out, at that point he had three Siamese cats that would clean the pile off. Not much meat on the little buggers and a pain to clean but tied fly's with some of the more colorful feathers. All in all a nice hunt. I've lost track when does the season open.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/06/16 11:50 PM

Not my cup f tea.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 01:21 AM

I think I would feel guilty.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 03:36 AM

We were hunting these guys unarmed, had a buddy almost pecked to death.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 10:39 AM

I would rather hunt feral cats
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 01:41 PM

I think sumbody is pulling my leg. I never seen a parakeet outside the pet store.

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
I think sumbody is pulling my leg. I never seen a parakeet outside the pet store.

I've seen parakeet flocks and green parrots nesting in Temple.....Lots of flocks in SA, Houston, and Austin from what I've heard.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 03:08 PM

We used to see them frequently in the Valley when my family had an orchard down there.

Pretty sure Tweety Bird was supposed to be a parakeet

Posted By: Cast

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 04:31 PM

Sit on the San Leon beach and watch the parrot flocks fly.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 05:50 PM

I believe they are hunting parakeets in Argentina

Mark

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 06:45 PM

No, this is not a joke even though I can understand why you might think that it is. They did propose a hunting season in San Leon but they are an invasive species so no season is necessary. I'm still interested so if anyone knows of anyone that could put me on to them, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 07:08 PM

I can shoot those loud parrots? Cool.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
I think I would feel guilty.

confused2
Me Too..Beautiful birds..I never saw them in wild..
Can some one post the pictures of them...Wild one.

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 08:06 PM

I can post some pics and I think that I did it once but not really sure now.... [img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...ng_103014_09.jp[/img]
Posted By: Coldwind

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 08:09 PM

Check out the article below:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/weve-got-the-monk-parakeet/
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 10:33 PM

Quaker parrots are found in Austin all over

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/07/16 10:41 PM

Here are a couple more pics....
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/08/16 12:21 AM

I have heard that in Argentina, if you don't shoot them, the locals get mad at you. Seems they just keep building onto the nest until it kills the tree its in. That's a huge nest.

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/08/16 02:31 AM

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/08/16 02:31 AM

They are doing the same thing in San Leon. As quick as they can remove them, they start building again....
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/09/16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie

Come to the corner of 51st and Guadalupe in Austin; the UT soccer and tennis fields are covered in Green Parrots that I was told are Parakeets.

These birds have nested in the tops of the light poles for years and there is a BIG population of them.

A few months back I went to the prebid for the remodel of these fields and a line item in the bid was......

"Bird Relocation".......Welcome to Austin
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/09/16 01:43 PM

Dallas has a population of them at White Rock. They are loud and make a mess. They can destroy hackberries in no time. They will eat every single seed on one in a sitting.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/09/16 02:22 PM

They do hunt them in Argentina as part of mixed back with dove and pigeon. Lots of bright colors. Haven't heard of huntin em in TX.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/09/16 07:12 PM

I didn't find one in Texas through an internet search either. But I did see someone post on craigslist austin looking for a guided hunt. I bet they got that idea on this forum. If anyone finds one I would be interested in a population control hunt as well.

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/09/16 09:00 PM

confused2 confused2
Thanks everyone for posting pictures and article about parakeet.
Those who enjoy hunting them might look at their number..
If you still enjoy killing them..well go ahead
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/10/16 09:35 PM

They're all over White rock lake and I see them fly over my backyard a few times a week. Saw a pack of 15+ fly right down McKinney Avenue the other day.

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/11/16 05:50 PM

send them to Houston..No harm guaranteed

lol35
Posted By: jmac24

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/12/16 12:41 AM

We shot them in Argentina. you could hear their loud squealing coming at you and they had some moves. IF you knocked one down, they counted double. The locals hate them because the sit on top of the milo feeding and will end up killing the whole plant.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/12/16 02:51 AM

Are they good eating food
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/12/16 04:02 AM

In pet shops they're called Quaker parrots. Bird people call them monk parakeets. I've seen them in Garland, Dallas, McKinney, Rowlett...even in Wolfe City. Jerry Jones spent six figures to bird-proof the new stadium because they were building giant nests and pooping all over the place. I've heard they are good to eat, which makes sense because they eat the same food that doves eat. I'd grill one.

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/12/16 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Are they good eating food

A little jalapeņo and bacon.... drink7
Posted By: TMc

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/15/16 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Chet
Hunted parakeet several times down around Waco. We didn't use dogs, but had a guide with a parrot that would call them in. Once the parrot had them coming in they would settle into a pile of bird seed the guide put out, at that point he had three Siamese cats that would clean the pile off. Not much meat on the little buggers and a pain to clean but tied fly's with some of the more colorful feathers. All in all a nice hunt. I've lost track when does the season open.

Wait a minute, you have two-headed cats? up
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/15/16 12:56 AM

Taste depends on time of year and what they have been eating. Best if you field dress them and get them on ice quickly.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/15/16 04:53 AM

So basically they are like Californians here. In Austin. They just keep building and making messes..lol

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/18/16 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
So basically they are like Californians here. In Austin. They just keep building and making messes..lol

lol35
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/18/16 03:53 PM

I would think they are classified as exotic so that would be no season or limit. Kinda like they look at the ring necked dove. Ring necks are bigger, little tougher but they still cook just fine so the monk parakeets being smaller would be more work but tender little birds.

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/18/16 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: RLoving1
I would think they are classified as exotic so that would be no season or limit. Kinda like they look at the ring necked dove. Ring necks are bigger, little tougher but they still cook just fine so the monk parakeets being smaller would be more work but tender little birds.

confused2
Will have to eat at least a dozen, just to feel their taste.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/18/16 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
loco_too west coasters have ruined Austin

Re: Parakeet hunting - 08/21/16 03:52 PM

I think I have found a place to hunt them. I will report back if anyone else might have an interest. Thanks for all of your comments....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum