Texas Hunting Forum

Update on Maddie.

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Update on Maddie. - 07/27/16 02:00 AM

So i finally got to take maddie out on some live birds and she pointed 2/4 like how id imagine. Yall were absolutely right put her in the field with birds and let her instincts take over. So the reason i say 2 of 4 is because she raised her leg pointed down and had her tail straight bavk and slightly up. The other 2 times she found the bird but it wasnt picture perfect.

So here is the bad. Damn bird never flushed just ran or stayed put. I made sure she never captured the bird. My hands have check cord burns.

So here are so follow up questions.

After reviewing my work how i placed the birds was lack luster. And i need to place more but working alone is a challenge. Any suggestions on bird layout, any pattern or lack of???

Second i made sure i used woah when she held point. That is all good and dandy, but that will be developed on her barrel, correct?

Im going to release all birds either friday morning or this weekend. And take her out in the field. I dont quite get how i can get all the birds back. Should i take my retriever to go fetch them up and have em for dinner? I get the recall pen but i imagine id need to save at least half my birds for this task. Is that correct?

All in all im really excited. It was exactly like bill described, a trance.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Update on Maddie. - 07/27/16 12:16 PM

You need to give up on working birds after this batch is gone and whoa break her on the ground completely before putting her on birds again. You are not training with what you are now doing.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Update on Maddie. - 07/27/16 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
You need to give up on working birds after this batch is gone and whoa break her on the ground completely before putting her on birds again. You are not training with what you are now doing.

^^^^^BINGO^^^^^

Don't even wait that long. Start whoa breaking immediately! It is going to take a lot of time and patience. Forget the bird training for a while. Get more control of the pup first.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Update on Maddie. - 07/28/16 12:07 AM

I broke Cracker on 9 flushes after whoa breaking. It will take you hundreds with what you are now doing.

Also, never whoa a pup on point. They go into a trance while pointing. Talking breaks the spell. They get away with it once and whoa means go to them. Never give a command that you can't enforce.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Update on Maddie. - 07/28/16 10:54 PM

Bill is right on
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum