Texas Hunting Forum

Quail!!!!

Posted By: Catch Dog

Quail!!!! - 06/30/16 01:35 PM

I cant believe I forgot to add this yesterday, but as I pulled into a job site in Midlothian Tx, I heard the beautiful sound of the male Bobwhite Quail calling. It was awesome.......
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail!!!! - 06/30/16 04:37 PM

Awesome.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Quail!!!! - 07/03/16 09:33 PM

We were at our place in Haskell County two weekends ago. Bobwhites everywhere. Love it.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Quail!!!! - 07/03/16 11:24 PM

I love to hear bobwhites. Our population has blossomed over the few years.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Quail!!!! - 07/04/16 04:59 AM

Nice. We heard them non stop all day late spring through summer up in Montague. Makes the work at the lease in the blazing sun somewhat enjoyable.
Posted By: slow944

Re: Quail!!!! - 07/04/16 05:16 PM

Your not going to believe this but I live just east of White Rock Lake in Dallas and today we have a 4th of July parade in our little neighborhood for all the kids. Met a guy with 2 labs and he has them trained for quail. He keeps about 100 live birds in his pen and several have gotten loose and reproduced. All the neighbors on facebook were talking about seeing chicks this weekend. Will give the coyotes and bobcats something to eat besides cats.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail!!!! - 07/04/16 11:30 PM

I've had a few feral quail from my Johnny house reproduce.
Posted By: Zeiger

Re: Quail!!!! - 07/07/16 01:13 PM

Monday morning I went to look at (and ended up signing on) a new hunting lease outside of Ballinger. 320 acres. While we were looking around the property I heard numerous Bobwhites. We scared up 2 coveys - one of 20+ and one of 10. We also scared up numerous singles, doubles, and triples. I'm guessing we saw 50+ and heard more. I have nothing to gauge things off of since I've never quail hunted, but it got me pretty excited for the upcoming season! Looks like it'll be a decent place to work with my new dog!
Posted By: throckmorton_hunter

Re: Quail!!!! - 07/07/16 03:56 PM

was at the ranch in Throckmorton last weekend . Saw lots of quail .. pairs as well as young birds
Looks like we may have a another hatch..

Lots of grasshoppers for them to eat !!
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Quail!!!! - 07/13/16 12:57 AM

We are absolutely covered up this year and they're still hatching.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Quail!!!! - 07/13/16 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Nice. We heard them non stop all day late spring through summer up in Montague. Makes the work at the lease in the blazing sun somewhat enjoyable.

This is exactly how I feel. I can be dogged working ib the blazing heat and hear that and it bring a smile to my face.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum