Texas Hunting Forum

When do we start to worry

Posted By: RayB

When do we start to worry - 05/31/16 02:32 PM

About too much water in our quail pastures? Tigger visited our place a while back and said he saw standing water, it's been hit pretty hard the past couple weeks with heavy rain.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: When do we start to worry - 05/31/16 02:42 PM

I think it's good. The quail are now nesting. They have build their nest on higher ground.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: When do we start to worry - 05/31/16 03:42 PM

They can handle it. Don't worry. We had as much or more rain last year and I could not see any ill effects of it last season. This is good! Be worried about a wide spread hail storm IMO.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: When do we start to worry - 05/31/16 05:59 PM

I wondered that too. I have hunting land in west tx I worry about since it's so flat.
Here in Wimberley I ran my dog the other day. On the side of a fairly steep hill she slammed into a rock solid point. Her head was really low. I was doubting the quail were there. It's rough there and lots of cedar. I thought I'd honer her point by kicking some grass and I also was curious cause she was so solid. I went to kick the grass and spotted a hen quail on a nest between some roots of the ceded tree. She was so hidden and well protected. She was very uneasy and moved a bit as if to flush. I spotted a decent pile of eggs under her. I wish I got a picture but I was worried about disturbing her.
I praised my dog and we got out of the area. I'm always impressed with quail. She picked a great place to nest. I hope she stays safe:)
Posted By: Mundo

Re: When do we start to worry - 06/01/16 06:08 PM

Even with extensive flooding the rain is a plus. Wouldn't really worry unless you lease is in a river bottom.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: When do we start to worry - 06/01/16 07:12 PM

I'm not as convinced as some of y'all. We had a decent huntable population of quail at our place in Oklahoma UNTIL last year. We had major flooding where West TX just got good soaking rains. We had very few birds last year. Don't know if the flooding got them or not but it's the only thing we could come up with.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: When do we start to worry - 06/01/16 08:04 PM

Maybe I have the perfect weather type lease in West Texas. I heard from my LO this morning that in spite of the floods that much of the Rolling Plains and Crosstimbers regions has gotten, we have sort of missed the big one. He told me that we have only gotten 2.5" in the last 30 days. I hope we get a good rain, but he tells me that our quail are thriving right now. He is seeing pairs and hearing birds everywhere.
Posted By: GA DOG 2

Re: When do we start to worry - 06/02/16 02:32 PM

I've always heard that when it rains in Texas it rains quail. Last year sure seem to prove that's true. But I do worry about big hail and disease!! But let it rain, sure beats a drought!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum