Texas Hunting Forum

youth pheasant hunt question

Posted By: rdhibbs

youth pheasant hunt question - 05/23/16 06:54 PM

I am working with the Texas Youth Hunting Program and have an opportunity to set up a youth pheasant hunt. I know very little about pheasant hunting, but have heard it would be difficult to do one if you follow TYHP rules.

First off we must remember that we are talking about all the hunters being young and inexperienced.

The biggest concern is that you have the flushers and the blockers facing each other with fire arms TYHP no no. Can you do it with out blockers?

Second is that there are twice as many adults as there are youth, a parent and a volunteer guide for each youth hunter, and the youth are only allowed one round of ammo in their gun, the parent must hold and issue the ammo one round at a time. Also the parent, youth and guide must all agree that you have a safe, ethical and legal shot before the youth can shoot.

This would mean that the parent and guide would have to walk behind their youth so they could communicate and dispense ammo. I do not see having time to confer on the shot when a bird fly's.

The hunt would be on the Lake Meredith National Recreation Area in the old lake bed or in a field of natural grass, not in a stubble field.

Could some one with experience in pheasant hunting and preferably with youth tell me if this is doable with in reason?

This sounds like a fun and challenging hunt. However I do not want to set up a dangerous hunt or one that is not likely to be successful.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: youth pheasant hunt question - 05/23/16 06:59 PM

That doesn't sound very fun to me. Also there's no way to flush a pheasant and confer before shooting.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: youth pheasant hunt question - 05/23/16 07:26 PM

a very worthy idea and lots of moving parts
Posted By: Wacm

Re: youth pheasant hunt question - 05/23/16 07:32 PM

It's a great idea. If the hunt is before anyone hits the field...like before the opener...you shouldn't need anything but good hunting dogs. Maybe if you could limit it to only hunting over dogs....that would keep it safe
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: youth pheasant hunt question - 05/23/16 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
It's a great idea. If the hunt is before anyone hits the field...like before the opener...you shouldn't need anything but good hunting dogs. Maybe if you could limit it to only hunting over dogs....that would keep it safe

I have had 4 dogs shot over the last 25 years. 3 of the times it was by kids. I was also present when I saw a pheasant guide's 2 dogs killed at flush with a single shot up in Kansas. Again, by a young hunter. Bird hunting moves too fast for the inexperienced. The young hunter and the instructor need to be more one on one when hunting with dogs so the instructor can create a controlled environment around a pointed dog. I don't mean to poo-poo anyone's good intentions, but a lot of thought needs to go into this type of hunt. I am always going to err on the side of safety and that includes the dogs.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: youth pheasant hunt question - 05/23/16 10:07 PM

As much as I love the idea of youth hunts, pheasant season ain't the time. Dove is what makes young hunters. Once they get a little experience, then broaden their horizons. Just too much adrenaline pumping to add dogs and a walking line of hunters. As usual, tailor to your situation.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: youth pheasant hunt question - 05/24/16 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Originally Posted By: Wacm

I have had 4 dogs shot over the last 25 years. 3 of the times it was by kids. I was also present when I saw a pheasant guide's 2 dogs killed at flush with a single shot up in Kansas. Again, by a young hunter. Bird hunting moves too fast for the inexperienced. The young hunter and the instructor need to be more one on one when hunting with dogs so the instructor can create a controlled environment around a pointed dog. I don't mean to poo-poo anyone's good intentions, but a lot of thought needs to go into this type of hunt. I am always going to err on the side of safety and that includes the dogs.

No one pooping on my parade!! There is no replacement for experience, I have none so I asked for your honest opinions based on your experience and that is what I got. I already had serious reservations about the situation and you all politely reinforced my position. I do appreciate everyone's comments and I will go a different direction.

As for hunting pheasant with dogs that always takes me by surprise, that is not the norm around here although I am sure a few do. Main dog hunts here are for quail.
Posted By: Spinone

Re: youth pheasant hunt question - 05/24/16 05:48 PM

Small controlled groups (1 or 2 kids at a time) with pointing dogs only. Will they be releasing birds for the hunt? If so, just release a few birds into the field before each small group hunts the field.

Wild bird hunt with a large group of kids? NO WAY!!!!!!!!!! It just isn't safe.

I would require some observed clay shooting before allowing the kids in the field just to make sure that have a good understanding of firearm safety. I would have to feel secure with the hunters before I ever released my dogs around ANY new or inexperienced upland hunter.

I won't hunt with large groups of adults, I certainly would not hunt with a large group of kids. I would not let my son hunt with a large group of other kids. I would also assign an experienced upland hunter with each kid. It sounds like most of the parents would not be accustomed to hunting upland birds either.

I mostly hunted wild pheasant before moving to Texas two years ago. Pheasant are incredibly difficult to hunt with pointing dogs; which is why it is so much fun!

Here is a picture of my son when he was younger, notice his toy shotgun smile. Pheasant hunting in Montana.

Posted By: Wacm

Re: youth pheasant hunt question - 05/25/16 03:13 AM

I've got some kids that live down the street who are fathered by a guy who rather look at Facebook all day or play golf then take his kids hunting. I take them when I can. One is 12 and ones 14. They would still be considered youths but could out move and shoot better then most people. I trust them over my dog no doubt. I guess when your dealing with the public...don't bring any kids who's last name is Cheney...I'm just saying. Could be bad.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum