Puppies on point - 04/19/16 11:45 PM

I'll go first.

You go next.
Posted By: TDH09

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 12:04 AM

Posted By: Pointer

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 12:37 AM

Sorry, All I have is a mental picture.
I had driven up I35 to within minutes of the Kansas state line to pick a puppy.
I was perplexed and disappointed when I saw the boys of the litter seemed healthy, and maybe even a little above avg in size for eight week old pups, but the two little girls were tiny. I had expressed my desire for a female puppy to the breeder, but I told him those two skinny little girls seemed sickly to me. He assured me they were healthy, and that if I wanted one of them, he would stand behind them with a health guarantee.
He then said, "Let me show you something" as he strode over to a pigeon cage, caught one, locked its wings and placed it in the pen with the puppies....The male puppies eyed the pigeon, one or two mouthed its feathers. But both the two runty,skinny little girls locked into the prettiest little sight points you ever saw, and could be picked up and put down without moving a muscle or their gaze.

I brought one of the little girls home, and she continued to astound and amaze me and those who saw her all thru her first year. She was a little whirling dervish. I called her my pocket pointer, and she handled both penraised and wild quail like a veteran that first season. The next year, as she matured, she slowed considerably, and really wasn't impressive at all.

As it turns out, an enlarged heart kept her from performing. True to his word, the breeder made good on his guarantee.

But, what a first year that little pup had!
Posted By: munoz

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 01:21 AM

Let's see if I figured this picture thing out.
Posted By: munoz

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 01:28 AM

Same dog at 9 months pointing quail with the trainer.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 01:36 AM

Posted By: The Point

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 02:45 AM

Posted By: Chet

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 02:52 AM

This is a pup named Sugar, real nice pup and I lost contact with the gentleman that bought her. If he sees this give me a PM.

Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:03 AM

Y'all got some good looking pups!
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:35 AM

9 months old.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: TDH09
I want this one
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 12:25 PM

Posted By: linyera

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 12:51 PM

Sofía ...

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 01:12 PM

Daisy

Jake

Bleu

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 02:18 PM

This one was on wild bobwhite quail before the breaking process.

Posted By: dune2218

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 02:26 PM

Posted By: TDH09

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 02:42 PM

a few more DD's

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 02:52 PM

I really like the top one. Caught in mid stride.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:08 PM

I like the little Irish Setter.

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

It's called a red setter. ET has two of them. I'd get one if I had another bird dog in me, but I'm done.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

It's called a red setter. ET has two of them. I'd get one if I had another bird dog in me, but I'm done.

How old are you Oxner? I know Ive got hunting buddies older than you still training dogs.

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:26 PM

Lucy

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:28 PM

Kate

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:29 PM

Lucy is looking good. I don't have one of Coco pointing. Need to get one this weekend before she gets too big. can't believe they are 5 months old.

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Lucy is looking good. I don't have one of Coco pointing. Need to get one this weekend before she gets too big. can't believe they are 5 months old.

Lucy is doing great. I took that picture several months ago. She's ticked all over now and dark orange. She's turning out to be a fine pup. She'll be ready for November.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:37 PM

Good stuff guys, all good looking pups. thanks for sharing

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

How old are you Oxner? I know Ive got hunting buddies older than you still training dogs.

I just turned 80. I don't want any of my dogs to outlive me, plus I live by myself. I can't go anywhere without my dogs.

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:42 PM

Lucy is doing great. I took that picture several months ago. She's ticked all over now and dark orange. She's turning out to be a fine pup. She'll be ready for November.

Coco is too. Only other dog I have owned as smart as her, is their dad Bleu. She will be ready to hunt with her pops this season too.

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 03:45 PM

I just turned 80. I don't want any of my dogs to outlive me, plus I live by myself. I can't go anywhere without my dogs.

If your dogs survive you Bill, I'll come get them until Kathy decides. I'll give them a home if needed.

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 04:27 PM

I and several others here have offered to do the same Cast. I would love to own an Ox trained dog.

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 05:02 PM

Muffin already loves me.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 06:22 PM

I know, I know... labs don't point, shouldn't point, and I am hurting the breed.... but here are a few pics of Ruby pointing some quail.

Posted By: rdh1

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
I know, I know... labs don't point, shouldn't point, and I am hurting the breed.... but here are a few pics of Ruby pointing some quail.

I wish I could get mine to do that
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Puppies on point - 04/20/16 11:17 PM

This is Tiny at about 2 or three months.

Re: Puppies on point - 04/21/16 01:28 PM

Re: Puppies on point - 04/21/16 01:45 PM

Re: Puppies on point - 04/22/16 12:06 AM

Re: Puppies on point - 04/22/16 12:22 AM

The smile on this pups face might be cause he was named RU Champion in the Eastern Open SD Championship a couple of weeks ago grin

Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Puppies on point - 04/23/16 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet

The smile on this pups face might be cause he was named RU Champion in the Eastern Open SD Championship a couple of weeks ago grin

Now that's an awesome looking pup. Love the black points and the birdy knot. Congrats on the win also! Who's running him?

Re: Puppies on point - 04/23/16 01:01 PM

Virgil Moore broke him and won with him as a derby. Started his open campaign, now with his new handler Matt Basilone. Both have done a great job with him.

Re: Puppies on point - 04/23/16 10:21 PM

Virgil Moore broke him and won with him as a derby. Started his open campaign, now with his new handler Matt Basilone. Both have done a great job with him.
That's awesome! Best of luck with him!

Re: Puppies on point - 04/24/16 05:33 PM

Re: Puppies on point - 04/25/16 01:21 AM

I like the look of this pup. Where did you get him?

Re: Puppies on point - 04/25/16 02:55 AM

Lincoln Nebraska. Fellow (Dale Renick) had a daughter of Elhew Sinbad (Just Add Water) bred to CH.Covey Rise Offlee Amazin. This was 5 years ago now.

Here's pedigree http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4743

Re: Puppies on point - 04/25/16 11:14 AM

Man he is an awesome looking dog. Wow. When I get another pup someday I want it to look like him. Wish I had one now with all these birds.
Posted By: txbb14

Re: Puppies on point - 05/15/16 01:55 AM

Posted By: huntwest

Re: Puppies on point - 05/15/16 03:07 AM

Lacy is looking good too.
I'll try to get a pic up on her. She retrieves like a champ.
We have been shooting some Eurasian doves and she finds everyone and brings back. I wish I had a pic from this morning. She was pointing turkeys at my backyard feeder from about 20 yards.

Re: Puppies on point - 05/15/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest

Lacy is looking good too.
I'll try to get a pic up on her. She retrieves like a champ.
We have been shooting some Eurasian doves and she finds everyone and brings back. I wish I had a pic from this morning. She was pointing turkeys at my backyard feeder from about 20 yards.

I'd like to see some pictures of your pup.

Re: Puppies on point - 05/15/16 10:36 PM

Lacy

Re: Puppies on point - 05/15/16 11:20 PM

Lacy

She's looking good. I really liked the markings on that pup when I picked Lucy. I was out at the Shackleford gas plant the other day and they said it looks to be a good quail crop this year. Are you seeing plenty of pairs in your part of the county?

Re: Puppies on point - 05/16/16 03:28 AM

Lacy

She's looking good. I really liked the markings on that pup when I picked Lucy. I was out at the Shackleford gas plant the other day and they said it looks to be a good quail crop this year. Are you seeing plenty of pairs in your part of the county?

Lots of pairs. I hunt a big ranch just north of town and we have seen several hundred pairs.
We averaged about 25 coveys a day this season. Best day was 38. It is the good old days again!
I never thought we would see them.
Posted By: GA DOG 2

Re: Puppies on point - 05/16/16 07:58 PM

FIRST ATTEMP AT POSTING PHOTOS!! (Ace) is 17 months old here, he got a late start. I purchased him at 11 months and he had never been work AT ALL.
He would not cross water or go thru a barbwire fence, did not know what a whistle or here meant. completely lost and confused. We gave him a lot of love and attention and sent him to Gary Patton at Silver Shoe Ranch when he was about 16 months old, 6 weeks later he was a different dog. The Elhew blood came thru. So glad I rescued this dog he was going to waste in a very small kennel and was miserable. We made four trips to Texas and he saw more quail on those trips than a Ga. bird dog will see in a life time. So glad I married a Texas cowgirl many years ago. mg]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/usergals/2016/05/full-13833-66271-abbey_1.jpg[/img]
Posted By: GA DOG 2

Re: Puppies on point - 05/16/16 08:16 PM

Abbey is 4 months old here. She is my wife's baby. Our first GSP, I thought I'd try a little closer range breed now that I'm in my golden years. lol
Posted By: TEL_tx

Re: Puppies on point - 05/18/16 12:49 AM

Here is Moose at 50 days old pointing the quail wing:

This is our new pup Milo on some pen raised birds in March:

Re: Puppies on point - 05/18/16 01:19 AM

Look like keepers!

Re: Puppies on point - 05/18/16 02:32 PM

Lacy

Lots of pairs. I hunt a big ranch just north of town and we have seen several hundred pairs.
We averaged about 25 coveys a day this season. Best day was 38. It is the good old days again!
I never thought we would see them.

We need to all get together and let Bleu hunt with his 3 daughters. Coco, Lucy and Lacy hunting with their Daddy Bleu, man that would be awesome.
Posted By: BAFisher

Re: Puppies on point - 05/18/16 08:28 PM

My first post might as well be pictures!

Re: Puppies on point - 05/19/16 03:36 AM

[/quote]We need to all get together and let Bleu hunt with his 3 daughters. Coco, Lucy and Lacy hunting with their Daddy Bleu, man that would be awesome. [/quote]

That would be great. Next season lets do it.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Puppies on point - 05/19/16 01:04 PM

BA, you better start throwing in some table scraps with that pups food. Good looking dog and welcome.
Posted By: BAFisher

Re: Puppies on point - 05/19/16 02:26 PM

I tell you what. Those pups are hard to put weight on! The male is growing like crazy, but that little lemon female is lean and only has one speed... fast. Thank you. They're coming along nicely.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Puppies on point - 05/19/16 04:07 PM

Here's mine. Coco is 6weeks here. This is last Dec.

This was here first hunt on wild birds at 5.5 months old. She found 6 coveys herself.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Puppies on point - 05/19/16 04:10 PM

Here's is our last hunt this season at Austin Gun Club

The other dog is Lily. She's my brothers dog they make a great team
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Puppies on point - 05/19/16 10:57 PM

Here is new addition to the family. Belle, 7 weeks

Re: Puppies on point - 05/19/16 10:59 PM

Is that as quite as she has been since you got her grin She looks good,
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: Puppies on point - 05/19/16 11:29 PM

She is going to be seriously high powered. If she was the male version of herself, I would probably be out shopping for a horse and a place to keep it right now or marathon training before November rolls around. Its amazing how her vocal cords have grown in 5 days, from a whine to a near adult level wail. She aint a fan of her puppy run I made her in the back
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Puppies on point - 05/20/16 01:12 PM

Here's my 5 mo.old pup. She's quite the acrobat. The cone didn't slow her down a bit.

Sorry about the sideways pics.
scratch

Re: Puppies on point - 05/20/16 03:22 PM

[/quote]We need to all get together and let Bleu hunt with his 3 daughters. Coco, Lucy and Lacy hunting with their Daddy Bleu, man that would be awesome.

That would be great. Next season lets do it.[/quote]

Im in!
Posted By: cb66

Re: Puppies on point - 05/29/16 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: txbloodbrother14

Nice looking Vizsla.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Puppies on point - 06/02/16 05:30 PM

Shooter at about 16 weeks. Pointed and fetched every bird that day.

uploadimage
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Puppies on point - 06/06/16 05:38 PM

Izzy at 12-14ish weeks.

Piper at 7 months

Re: Puppies on point - 06/06/16 07:25 PM

Izzy looks like he likes his work cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum