Texas Hunting Forum

Meat dog and blue quail

Posted By: blanked

Meat dog and blue quail - 02/12/16 11:15 PM

I know most will frown on this but to the die hard blue quail hunters prefer a pointer to rush in on a running covey to get the flush and then point the singles
Posted By: coolie

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 02/12/16 11:18 PM

No
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 02/12/16 11:35 PM

No. I prefer not to hunt them at all.
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 02/14/16 05:55 AM

My dogs would point/walk behind the covey------- I would go ahead in the truck to fence line, brush , whatever was in front of them that would make them stop. Get out and let them walk into me. A little bit like driving pheasants.
Posted By: TXPanhandler

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 02/15/16 03:27 AM

We prefer to flush them several times with a vehicle and then get dogs out and hunt them after they've flown several hundred yards.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 05/08/16 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: blanked
I know most will frown on this but to the die hard blue quail hunters prefer a pointer to rush in on a running covey to get the flush and then point the singles

When hunting blues all I want is a "dead bird" dog, I'll find the live ones.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 05/08/16 04:45 PM

As long as there is good cover, I hunt them just like bobs. Wouldn't even want to hunt them on a place with little cover.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 05/11/16 12:27 PM

My place is just about perfect for Blues, open enough to give them running room but thick enough to get them to sit. You only get about 1 or 2 good hunts with dogs and then you might as well put them up and bring out your dead bird dog. After 2 hunts it turns into a track and field event so you better wear some comfortable boots. My Louisiana buddies came out twice last year and limited out every day using one dog.

From what I'm seeing right now it looks like we'll be getting a good hatch with probably a bigger population of quail than last year. I'm seeing 1-2 pairs every 100 yards driving down the roads. Lot's of bugs and weed seed everywhere. Seeing more Bobs than usual also!
Posted By: TXQuailHunter

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 05/18/16 04:36 AM

Love hunting blues. My dogs adjust to the birds. If blues are running because the cover is sparse. I'll stand still and direct my dog to a position ahead of the birds and and have her come back towards me. Blues usually freeze where they are and its just like hunting singles. Thats why its called bird hunting... using a dog is the only way to hunt. Fun! Fun! Fun!
Posted By: TXQuailHunter

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 05/18/16 04:42 AM

I've trained dogs since I was a boy. Had english pointers and setters... all were good... I hunt with a Gordon Setter now and she is a dream to hunt over.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 05/20/16 01:34 AM

I've never had an opportunity to hunt them but I'm super excited to try them this year. I'll be hunting public land since I don't have a place in that region. I'll let you know:)
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Meat dog and blue quail - 05/20/16 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: TXPanhandler
We prefer to flush them several times with a vehicle and then get dogs out and hunt them after they've flown several hundred yards.

This is the way to hunt blues.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum