Texas Hunting Forum

quail status

Posted By: colt45-90

quail status - 01/27/16 11:42 AM

for a lot of yrs the consensus has been that the quail population decline has been to this & that. but with timely rain & ect. the rebound has been great. so is it all about weather conditions or some other factor. like most things when the weather (drought ect.)is negative many things are prone to disease ect.
Posted By: Nitronx898

Re: quail status - 01/28/16 11:32 PM

I hunt in Menard and we have always had quail. With the rains this year the population has really exploded. Seeing a couple hundred a day.
Posted By: danceswithquail

Re: quail status - 01/29/16 01:40 AM

The only thing that is different this year than the prior 5 is 18 inches of rain in May, maybe it drowned the eyeworms :

I dont know, but I do know we still have feral hogs, corn feeder fattened coons, aerial spraying, fire ants, aflatoxin laced corn, habitat loss, and the worst crop of presidential candidates the free world has ever seen; but yet we have the best quail crop in the rolling plains in 25 years.

Until proven different, from here on out I am saying its all about rain in April and May.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: quail status - 01/29/16 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: danceswithquail
The only thing that is different this year than the prior 5 is 18 inches of rain in May, maybe it drowned the eyeworms :

I dont know, but I do know we still have feral hogs, corn feeder fattened coons, aerial spraying, fire ants, aflatoxin laced corn, habitat loss, and the worst crop of presidential candidates the free world has ever seen; but yet we have the best quail crop in the rolling plains in 25 years.

Until proven different, from here on out I am saying its all about rain in April and May.
You forgot Chiggers. That is what a biologist told me. I'm starting to think it is all about the rain like you.

And yes amen on the Presidential candidates. Good grief.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum