Texas Hunting Forum

My Little English Setter

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 02:48 AM

I bought Grendel 4 years ago, he was a derby dog. An upland derby is a game in which quail are put out in the field and the dogs are released the first point/flush wins the derby. His first owner ended up having a stroke and that is how I ended up with Grendel. Grendel is a small English Setter, he weights about 31 lbs.

When I got Grendel Bill Oxner came down and hunted with me the first time with Grendel.

I started record keeping about 5 hunts after I had Grendel:

Grendel has hunted/pointed:

Number of Hunts: 171 (some of these are morning and afternoon counted separately)
Miles Ran: 2,900 Miles
Ave Miles per Hunt: 16.9 Miles/Hunt
Quail Shoot: 3,151
Pheasant Shoot: 2,491
Chukar Shoot: 641
Prairie Chicken 19
Woodcock 18

Grendel coughed up blood today and he is at the Vet's office tonight. I hope this was not his last hunt because this little guy has really done some hunting for my organization. Lots of happy Law Enforcement, Military and, Firefighter/EMTs because of Grendel.
Posted By: Catch Dog

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 02:51 AM

Sure hope everything is ok.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 03:24 AM

Sounds like Grendel is a heck of a dog. How old is he?

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 04:22 AM

He is 8 going to be 9 in about a month.
Posted By: nak

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 04:56 AM

Prayers headed upstairs for the both of you
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 12:03 PM

Fingers crossed.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 02:26 PM

keep us posted...has he been on heart worm preventive?

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 05:32 PM

He ended up just having some acid reflux. Vet gave me some meds and said to cut his running down for a while. Pretty happy...
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 07:09 PM

Good news indeed ... cheers I ran setters once upon a time in a Shoot to Retrieve Field Trial and had a blast.
Ron
Posted By: coolie

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 07:26 PM

Setters have the most beautiful gait of all bird dogs. Even if they don't, they look like they know what they are doing.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 08:21 PM

The best two bird dogs that I've ever hunted behind were English Setters. Beautiful dogs and poetry in motion when hunting.
Posted By: blanked

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 09:04 PM

i remember bill posting some pictures of a guy he hunted with with a couple of setters a few years ago. Are you that guy
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Nate
He ended up just having some acid reflux. Vet gave me some meds and said to cut his running down for a while. Pretty happy...
Now that's awesome! Congrats!
Posted By: Sweese

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/24/16 11:36 PM

I love those small quick, field setters. I sure hope he recovers quickly.
Posted By: arandy

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/25/16 12:42 AM

Glad to hear your dog is alright and it sounds like he is the kind all of us would be lucky to hunt behind! I love bird dogs in general but I guess if I could only have one breed, Setters would be my pick. Hope it never comes to that because I love a good bird dog of any breed.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/25/16 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Just Nate
that's great, I hope acid reflux is different in dogs than humans, my acid reflux turned to esophagus disease which can turn to cancer.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: My Little English Setter - 01/25/16 03:28 AM

Glad to hear that!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum