Texas Hunting Forum

Afternoon quail tactics?

Posted By: BlakeJ

Afternoon quail tactics? - 01/24/16 01:40 AM

Where do you guys like to look for bobs in the afternoon with a dog?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Afternoon quail tactics? - 01/24/16 02:20 AM

I generally start at 2:00 if I have fresh dogs. I'll wait until 3:00 if I hunted the dogs in te morning. I hunt the same places that I hunt in the mornings. I like to quit by 5:00. Teat time you know.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Afternoon quail tactics? - 02/01/16 10:43 PM

Early in the afternoon the birds are loafing in cover they will start to feed and move to roosting areas 1-2 hours before sunset. Loafing cover is thorny, shady, overhanging brush that they can run through but predators (hawks and cats) cat follow. Roosting cover is grassy open areas. Birds will feed anywhere there is green and seed. When they are moving they are easier for the dog to find. When they are loafing they are difficult--the leave little sent when they don't move much--and they are in places they can easily evade the dog.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Afternoon quail tactics? - 02/02/16 05:41 AM

If the dogs are having a tough time finding them in open areas, we may try bumping coveys. (not litterally...just scaring them up with the truck) AND/OR move to a more brushy area.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Afternoon quail tactics? - 02/02/16 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Pointer
If the dogs are having a tough time finding them in open areas, we may try bumping coveys. (not litterally...just scaring them up with the truck) AND/OR move to a more brushy area.

Bumping coveys, spooking birds with the truck is a new one for me

Re: Afternoon quail tactics? - 02/02/16 01:30 PM

How about outriders? I thought that practice was gone, but a friend said that another group had hired a guide with dogs and outriders on the ranch where he was hunting. I'm not sure how they work, but another friend piped in and said that the horses could fine them. Even smell them.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Afternoon quail tactics? - 02/02/16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

How about outriders? I thought that practice was gone, but a friend said that another group had hired a guide with dogs and outriders on the ranch where he was hunting. I'm not sure how they work, but another friend piped in and said that the horses could fine them. Even smell them.
do they point
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Afternoon quail tactics? - 02/02/16 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

A few ranches I know of do use outriders occasionally. The birds don't seem to be spooked by horses or cattle in their world. They live with 'em.

So the outrider rides thru the pasture, and yes, he does point as he keys his radio and says, "We got birds over here!"

Re: Afternoon quail tactics? - 02/02/16 05:02 PM

Not my cup of tea. I like to see a bird dog go where they have to go to find birds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum